TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Fabrication Offline
This Time I'll Make You Proud.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Fallon

Question Am I Becoming Depressed? - May 6th 2012, 02:29 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I stumbled upon an article explaining depression and other psychological disorders [click here for the article] (bipolar, anxiety, etc) and as I was reading I read symptoms for Major Depression, Mild to Moderate Depression (or Double Depression as they call it, also seen in the article) and it applies to me. I've been wanting to talk to my mom about feeling depressed and slightly suicidal lately. I expressed to her in March that I was feeling depressed right before I left for school and she asked why and I told her. But now I feel like I should see a doctor to see if I'm diagnosed. The symptoms that I picked out for major depression was
  • Depressed mood (especially during school and specifically math class)
  • Loss of interest. (especially during school)
  • Trouble sleeping/sleeping too much. (I've woken up at noon to 1pm. no megusta )
  • Fatigue, loss of energy, and tired all the time.
  • Worthless feelings
  • Recurring thoughts of death or suicide.
and the symptoms I picked out for mild to moderate depression
  • Trouble sleeping or sleeping too much.
  • Fatigue, loss of energy, or tired all the time.
  • Low self-esteem.
  • Feelings of hopelessness and helplessness.
Should I talk to her about this? I mean I fell like she'll just blow it off and not take it seriously..
I've cut (I've stopped), I'm starting to get anxiety, especially social, and suicidal thoughts. I'm honestly think I'm becoming depressed. What do I do?

"..And if you're perusing the social media networks, I urge you to keep your fucking opinions to yourself. If you're going ruin someone's day, ruin your own."
- Bert McCracken

(#2 (permalink)) Old
caffeineislife Offline
Not a n00b

Name: vive

Re: Am I Becoming Depressed? - May 6th 2012, 02:38 AM

i am sorry that you are having a hard time. i think geting help is the best thing to do

Speak softly and carry a big stick

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Fabrication Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Am I Becoming Depressed? - May 6th 2012, 03:28 AM

I know it's the best thing to do, but I'm afraid my parent's won't understand or take it seriously.

"..And if you're perusing the social media networks, I urge you to keep your fucking opinions to yourself. If you're going ruin someone's day, ruin your own."
- Bert McCracken

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Fabrication Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Am I Becoming Depressed? - May 8th 2012, 12:27 AM

*bump*

- Bert McCracken

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Michy_Blackrose Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Michy

Re: Am I Becoming Depressed? - May 8th 2012, 12:47 AM

If you've recognised these symptoms in yourself of late, I think the best course of action would be to let your mum know, and try and book am appointment with a therapist to talk through your symptoms and associated feelings with, for further help and potential diagnosis.

Here for you.

Michy.

And I was in the darkness,
So darkness I became.

<3
  Send a message via MSN to Michy_Blackrose  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauri

Re: Am I Becoming Depressed? - May 8th 2012, 01:13 AM

Your so young and having a mental disorder is not all that or cool or fun its not. Being sad and being depressed is two diffrent things. Depression last the whole day and usaly last every day. You may just be feeling a little sad or not happy because you dont like a subject thats completly normal and doesnt mean you have a disorder.
  Send a message via Yahoo to lauri  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
FixYou♥ Offline
∞ I'm only human ∞

I can't get enough

Name: Tay

Re: Am I Becoming Depressed? - May 8th 2012, 01:14 AM

I think talking to someone (ie your mom, or another adult that you trust, or a friend, or a school councelor/therapist/phoneline or (like you're on) a website like TeenHelp. Im glad you've stopped cutting, its a sign that you're getting stronger and you want help. It sounds like some form of depression, and I would seek some sort of help. Also, try to get your emotions out some way (poetry, song writing, drawing, journaling, crying, taking a walk, talking to someone, etc) PM or VM me. I know how some of this feels. I'll be here to listen, hun

PM or VM me, I'm here for you ...yes seriously
  Send a message via Skype™ to FixYou♥ 
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Am I Becoming Depressed? - May 8th 2012, 03:17 AM

I think that it's great that you want to see a doctor and get checked out properly. That shows a lot of maturity right there.
I also think that your fear of being blown off or not being taken seriously is quite valid - a lot of people are not fully aware that children and adolescents can suffer from depression equally as severely as adults.

I would recommend seeing a school counselor or other elder family member that you trust about this first, then getting them to come with you to explain to your Mum - sometimes having another adult on your side can help you to be taken seriously. And being taken seriously is important here, because there's something going on for you that isn't nice.
You could also try writing a letter explaining all of this to your Mum, and if she still refuses to take you seriously, then ask if she can at least take you to your GP to get a professional opinion.
The first time I got depressed I was 12, and then again at 13, it took a few months for people to start taking it seriously (I was suicidal by that time), so I hope people listen to you and are willing to help you with this.

Good luck

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Fabrication Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Am I Becoming Depressed? - May 8th 2012, 09:32 PM

Laurie, it's not just the fact that it's a specific class or during a specific time, it's usually all day about 3 - 5 days per week. My mom is also clinically depressed so I have a gist about what a depressed person looks like.

And for those who are saying to talk to say a counselor, I have, or was, seeing a counselor outside of school but our copay went up to $45 which is nearly impossible for us to afford so I secretly got help from the school counselor when I knew I needed help when I started cutting. I don't know if I should explain to her (tomorrow is when I see her again >_<) about these symptoms and what I think and feel. I just feel really bad that I've been keeping this from my mom. :|
I might explain to the counselor tomorrow and if she agrees with me, I'll bring it up with my mom. My mom has been known to label me as a 'drama queen' who blows things out of proportion. I just hope everything goes well.

- Bert McCracken

Closed Thread