TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
into creation x Offline
Not a n00b

Question Anyone on antidepressants? - July 18th 2012, 11:08 PM

I picked up my prescription today for Fluoxetine which I believe is also known as Prozac?

I've not been told what time of day is best to take it? Is anyone on this? Has it helped?

I'm still apprehensive about taking it but am too lazy (or depressed as some would call it) to do any 'self help' measures. In a way, asking to give meds a go was something I did to help myself...

I was planning to take it first thing in the morning, but tomorrow's going to be a hard day as it is already, have an early start and then a funeral to go to, I've got no idea how I'll react to this drug?

Thanks in advance

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
she dreams of love.
Outside, huh?

Name: Jessie

Re: Anyone on antidepressants? - July 18th 2012, 11:19 PM

Hi there.

I have been on this medication a few times and I was always told to take it in the morning. However if you are not sure, I suggest you talk to the person who prescribed you the medication to make sure when you need to take it.

Everyone reacts differently to medication. Ive been on around 20 different medications for my mental health and prozac was probably the only one I did not not have any reaction to (I react very badly to medications) I guess at the begining, its all about trial and error and finding the right medication for you. If you do have side affects, they shouldn't last for more than a week but remember to contact your doctor/psychiatrist if you have serious side affects; the medicaion might need to be stopped.

I hope this helps and I hope things look up for you.
Jessie

Selfharmforummod; MentalHealthforummod;HelpLinkmentor;Blogmod;LiveHelpoperator;Depressionandsuicideforummod; Articles Team; Talent Committee

(#3 (permalink)) Old
savealife723 Offline
i live. i laugh. i love.
I've been here a while

Name: Kayla

Re: Anyone on antidepressants? - July 18th 2012, 11:23 PM

I was on Prozac for a while but I'm onto a different antidepressant now. Like Jessie said, it's important to remember that the drug will have a different effect on everybody that takes it. For me, I craved really weird foods, and it messed with my sleep schedule a lot when I took it at night, so I talked to my doctor and he said that I could change it to morning time. That helped with my sleep a little bit. Anyway, every drug takes time to get used to. Keep at this one for six to eight weeks and check in with your doctor about any side effects you have questions on.

-Kaylaaa.

When you can't find your way home,
and when life gets too hard to face on your own.
I will stand as a light through the darkness unknown,
I will walk with you, so you're never alone.
  Send a message via AIM to savealife723 Send a message via MSN to savealife723 Send a message via Yahoo to savealife723  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Anyone on antidepressants? - July 19th 2012, 08:21 AM

It might be better to start when you don't have something like a funeral to go to, so you might want to wait a day. Sometimes starting new drugs can be stressful or have negative side effects. So at least you want the first few days to be regular days, ideally days when you don't have something too serious or public to deal with.

Good luck- I'm just speaking from experience.

Closed Thread