TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jeeajm123 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Chloe

I'm stuck in this world - August 4th 2012, 09:41 AM

I have been having a really hard time this past year and a half. I started cutting and then I started to be suicidal. For a little bit I thought it would just pass and I would get better and life would go on. But now I just don't want to be here anymore again. Everything that happens to me just makes me want to be gone more every single day. I just don't know how to continue living this life.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
ELEVATE
I've been here a while

Name: Hannah

Re: I'm stuck in this world - August 4th 2012, 10:52 AM

Hey Chloe

Have you tried talking to someone about this? Someone you trust, such as a parent, teacher, friend? If you haven't, I think you should. I know it's hard to talk about this sort of stuff with people, but it's so much easier to deal with this sort of thing when you have someone on your side, if you know what I mean. And once someone knows about how you're feeling, you can get the help you need to overcome this. Because you can overcome it. It is possible. And talking to someone really helps, once it gets past the eeeeeeek part. It's a healthy release of emotion; unlike cutting.

And I know you say you don't want to be here anymore, but think about all the people who do want you to be here. Without you, people's lives won't be the same. So many people would miss you!

PM me if you ever wanna talk

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: I'm stuck in this world - August 4th 2012, 11:16 AM

Hey Chloe,

I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling. I think that it would be a really good idea to tell someone about how you feel. Either your parents or another adult you trust, like a teacher or a guidance counselor, or even a friend's parent if there's some reason you can't talk to yours. Any adult who you trust. I think this is a good idea, because when I was thirteen and had been cutting myself, my friend got me to tell my head of year, and she then talked it through with me, and helped me tell my parents. Then they all helped me get some counseling to try and help me sort out my thoughts. You don't have to deal with this alone, getting people on your side to support you can make a real difference.

If you're ever in the position where you feel like you're a danger to yourself, for example you are planning a suicide, or feel like you want to do it soon, please tell someone. The best person to tell would be someone who can help you immediately, like a parent, but you can also call hotlines. There are a list of hotlines here, if you ever wish to use them: http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f3-general/t22-hotlines/

As Hannah mentioned, cutting is not a healthy release of emotion. It is dangerous and addictive, and doesn't help anything in the long run. There is a list of alternatives here, which might help you. Maybe you could try them out next time you feel like cutting, see if there is anything that helps you? http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-s...ves-self-harm/

You deserve to feel happy and to be able to enjoy your life. You can get through this.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: I'm stuck in this world - August 4th 2012, 04:27 PM

Hi there Chloe.

I want to start by telling you how brilliant you have done to come to us here at TeenHelp and to tell us what's going on and asking for help. I know that reaching out to people can be really hard and you've done a really brave thing by coming here.

I am really sorry to hear that things are a bit rough for you right now. I know that coping with self harm and suicidal thoughts can be really difficult. I just wanted to ask you if you know of any triggers to the urges to hurt yourself and the thoughts about killing yourself? I know talking can be hard but if you want to talk to us about anything, know that we're always here for you and we won't judge what you say to us. We don't just come on this site for help for ourselves but also to help and support other people. And it there is anything we can do to help, we'll try our best.

Recovering from self harm is a difficult thing to do. You used this method once and found it help so it only seems logical to self harm when you need it because in the past you've felt like it helped, even if its only in the moment. But ultimately, in the long run it isn't going to help you. Its not going to solve anything but I know from experience, it could make things a lot worse. Have you tried distracting yourself when you get the urges to hurt yourself? You can do things like art, running, walking, watching a dvd, getting a bath, writing, reading etc. You can also use techniques such as flicking an elastic band against you skin or holding ice on yourself to try and get that pain without hurting yourself. Its all about finding what is best for you and not everything you try is going to help so it's about trial and error. Don't give up when something doesn't help. Keep on trying new things.

I know when I struggle with urges to hurt myself, I sometimes snap a glow band and then wear it and I'm not allowed t hurt myself until its stopped glowing which is normally a good 8-12 hours later. And by this time, the urges will have hopefully passed. Could you try that? You could also try keeping a 'first aid box' AKA happy box which is where you get a box, decorate it and fill it with things that make you happy and cheer you up look books, photos, letters, nail varnich, comfort things etc. :-)

I know that beating the suicidal thoughts can be incredibly hard, I honestly do but I also know that you can beat them. You have so much to live for and you're still young. You have so much to experience in the future. The world is at your feet and you're a teenager and its time you enjoyed yourself and went for the risks. Go out with friends and have a good laugh. Maybe you can set yourself some goals for the future as well? Right now that can be little things to help you get through each day like planning a walk with your mum tomorrow, having a dvd night on Monday, getting a nice bubble bath with candles on Tuesday. Just little things which actually might really help you to feel better. And then you can set yourself bigger goals too. Things about the future and looking into a career you want, about learning to drive when you're legal too etc. I know beating the thoughts is hard but YOU can do it.

Ultimately, you're in control of your own actions and the only person who can stop you from acting on the urges to hurt yourself or the thoughts to kill yourself is yourself. And I know that's hard but if you work hard and stay determined you can beat this and get through to the other side. At times its going to be unpleasant and its going to emotionally hurt, but it will be well worth it in the long run.

And remember you don't have to do this on your own. Its okay for you to let people in and to let them support you. Like I've said, we're always here fpr you if and when you need us and you're more than welcome to shoot me a PM any time. You can also talk to your parents, family or even your friends. You can even talk to a teacher, school nurse and your doctor. All of these people want to help you and support you but they can only do so if they know what is going on for you. You're not on your own in this.

I hope this somewhat helps. Keep smiling, you can do this :-)
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread