TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Firesong3 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Nicola

Songs for depression and anxiety - August 11th 2012, 03:04 PM

I suffer from severe depression and recently I had a very bad relapse, causing me to pull out of university for half a year

Now I have just gone back to uni after a 2-month break and I am stressing out very badly. Normally I don't suffer at all from anxiety but with the amount of work I am piling ontop of myself, plus the fact that the withdrawal from my subjects last semester hasn't been approved yet (meaning I could have a fail on my record because I couldn't take the exam) means that I am feeling so anxious I could throw up.

Anyway, when things like this happen I like to listen to music. Normally my taste in music is very dark and depressing ("no surprises" there...) but when I feel anxious I think now I need something more uplifting, but not too hyper.

I really liked hearing "Don't Worry Be Happy" and I also like listening to "What a Wonderful World" so if you have any recommendations along those lines (they don't have to be famous) I would be really grateful. Thanks.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Re: Songs for depression and anxiety - August 11th 2012, 09:21 PM

I'm a real sucker for listening to Disney songs or Glee for a pick me up, but whether that's up your creek or not, I'm not sure ^^ I also used to find Classical a really good one for helping me relax after a real bad low and to take all that after-stress away. I'm particularly fond of Ludovico Einaudi, especially I Giorni.
But for more well known songs, I lovelovelove 'Mr Blue Sky' by E.L.O, 'Life is a Highway' by Rascal Flatts, 'Walking on sunshine' and 'Shake it" by Metrostation. [Okok, it's a guilty pleasure]

As for the Uni stress, I remember how hectic it was! I swear I spent years doing assignments and essays and speeches and yikes, it went on forever. Don't pressure yourself into too much work, depression isn't something you can rush through, give yourself time to relax and recuperate. If you do find yourself getting over worked, try talking to your course rep about ways to keep credit without exhausting yourself. And of course, stick on those tunes and get wailing.

I'M WAAALLKINNG ON SUNSHIIINE, WOOOOAAAHHH!!!!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Firesong3 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Nicola

Re: Songs for depression and anxiety - August 12th 2012, 03:00 AM

Thanks! I'm not a big Glee fan but I love Disney. Great idea!

Walking on Sunshine, Life is a Highway and Mr Blue Sky are all good ideas. At first I couldn't remember Shake it... then I looked it up on Youtube and couldn't stop laughing at the music video. I guess that means it works on some level...?

I'm a pianist, so classical music works well too Normally I listen almost exclusively to Chopin (we go way back, haha) with just a couple of contemporary composers thrown in occasionally to mix it up. Because I suffer from depression more than anxiety though, so I Giorni tends to make me pensive rather than relaxed... it's a fine line

Closed Thread