TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Plaguerat Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Depressed - August 14th 2012, 06:56 AM

I am sorry is this is in the wrong category, but I've never posted anything on this site before. I never thought I would have to.
5 months ago, my cat died. She was hit by a car. My mom has been very depressed as a result of this, and I don't know what to do anymore. She yells at me for 'not caring', which is most definitely not true. She is always talking about how it ruined her life, that no one else cares, and 'how could that have happened?'. It's only been getting worse. She has now started blaming me, saying that if I hadn't let the cat out, she would still be here. I told her several times that she needs help, and she refuses. She won't even look at me anymore because she says that I 'killed the cat'.
Please, can someone help me? I never thought I'd post anything like this before, and I'll probably regret it afterwards, but I have no where else to turn.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Katelina Offline
Country for life
Average Joe

Name: Tina

Re: Depressed - August 14th 2012, 05:54 PM

Your mother is blaming you for your cats death because she is still in denial about what happened. Try asking her to sit down with you, tell her she needs to listen to you and that you would like her to not say anything till you are done talking. Tell her what she's been doing, how it makes you feel, how you feel about your cat passing, and how you would like her to see someone. Try getting a new cat for your mom as a present. Also time will help ease the pain, if she doesnt want to talk with you wait a couple weeks. Let her cool off and collect herself then talk to her about it.

Also honey don't be afraid to ask for help, no one here will turn anyone down.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Plaguerat Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Depressed - August 14th 2012, 06:59 PM

Thank you, I can try to talk to her again. We got another cat several months ago, but my mom doesn't like him.
I have tried talking to her many times, but she just gets very defensive and says that I don't care. That definitely isn't true. I just try to get on with my life.
Is there anything specific that you think I can say? Thank you so much.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Katelina Offline
Country for life
Average Joe

Name: Tina

Re: Depressed - August 14th 2012, 07:25 PM

Try telling her you do care, you are still caring and that she needs to look at it from your perspective. If I was you this is what I'd say to my mom:

Mom I need you to shut up and listen to me for 5 minutes. I'm sorry about -insert name here-, I really am. But you have to let it go, he's been gone for a while now. And your still taking your pain out of me, I cant take it anymore. You look at me like I don't care, like I wanted him to die. You blame me for his death and its not right. I am sorry about letting him out; but I cant take your anger anymore. I love you mom, but if this continues I don't think I can handle it.

That's what I'd tell my mom..

Closed Thread