TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
lmk Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Question Why do my parents not care? - August 22nd 2012, 04:42 AM

Okay so I have been struggling with depression, eating problems, and self-esteem issues for several years now. I kept it secret from my family for a long time, only talking to a few close friends about it. There is a long history of depression and tons of other emotional issues in my family (my moms been depressed her whole life, my grandfather killed himself, my dads an alcoholic, and many other fun things) and I was scared to bring it up to my parents. Finally last year I got up the courage to tell my mom. I didn't tell her that I'd been suicidal because I didn't want to hurt her, but I did tell her I'd been feeling very depressed. She said she was really glad I'd told her, and that I could talk to her about anything. My dad also talked to me and said he was very worried and didnt want me to hurt myself. Then they proceeded to not mention it again and do absolutely nothing. For a full year and a half I didn't talk to them about it. My depression got worse and worse until I almost committed suicide in March. This summer it's been worse then ever. I feel suicidal on a daily basis, hardly talk to friends, spend most of my time in my room on my own wasting time on my computer, and am having a lot of problems with my eating. My parents definitely noticed what was happening as it became hard to hide how I was feeling. They asked me if I was depressed and I said yes. They found out about my eating and asked about it. Then they did nothing about it. I have told them multiple times I want a therapist or something to help, but they never try and help me get one or are helpful. So I really don't understand. They seem so concerned about my problems and encourage me to tell them anything, and yet when I do they just ignore it and act like its not happening. Are they not taking me seriously? Are they too absorbed in their own problems? Or do they really just not care?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Katelina Offline
Country for life
Average Joe

Name: Tina

Re: Why do my parents not care? - August 22nd 2012, 04:51 AM

Darlin' your parents care it seems from my perspective that they don't know how to handle it; try talkin to them again and tell 'em that you are bein serious. That you want help, that you need help, and that you have tried to commit suicide. Be honest with your parents, they will respect you more if you are honest with them. Also I would see about getting family therapy; so you can work out all y'alls differences.

Hang in there love, you'll see life's gone be pickin up soon.

If you need to talk or more advice my PM and VM are always open. More ways of contacting me are available if you ask for them.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
i'm sad to the core core core♥
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Karri

Re: Why do my parents not care? - August 22nd 2012, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmk View Post
They seem so concerned about my problems and encourage me to tell them anything, and yet when I do they just ignore it and act like its not happening. Are they not taking me seriously? Are they too absorbed in their own problems? Or do they really just not care?
I think they're probably worried about you and overwhelmed. Maybe they don't know what to do to help you, since they're battling their own problems as well. What I would do is find as many resources as you can for yourself (for example, look into therapy and find a place where you could get therapy that you would like to look into) and then when you bring it up, you're already presenting an option for yourself so that if they are overwhelmed they'll feel a bit better because they'll know of a solution and can figure out what they can do to help you from there.

would it be so hard to realign a star or two?

Closed Thread