TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
golauren Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Lauren

My teacher gives me hope. - September 16th 2012, 03:53 AM

I don't think I could make it through the school day if I didn't have history class. My teacher always has a smile on her face and she's always so happy. She's defiantly one of the nicest people I know, even if the class isn't being good, she doesn't yell. My other three teachers are men who are horribly boring. The half and hour I spend in her class I can feel somewhat happy which I am so thankful for. I don't know why, but she gives me hope in life. I don't want to be miserable for the rest of my life, I want to be as happy as she is. But suicide is still on my mind, should I tell her that I'm depressed?

-GoLauren

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Peach_Out:. Offline
pain demands to be felt
Average Joe

Name: Dominick Joseph

Re: My teacher gives me hope. - September 16th 2012, 04:37 AM

im so glad my homerome teacher is the reason i found were i belong

" Blue hydrangea, cold cash, divine, cashmere, cologne and white sunshine."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: My teacher gives me hope. - September 16th 2012, 04:50 AM

Hey there,

It is totally amazing that you have found a teacher that you really love and feel safe with. I can agree as well that sometimes, even if you don't know why, a teacher or other person can give you hope. The same thing happened to me the other day. It was my first day of Spanish class and my teacher said two things to my class: "You are worth it" and "Don't let anyone step on you." They're true things and even though I have a hard time, her saying those things definitely filled me with hope.

Now, onto your question. I think that it would be a great idea to tell your teacher about feeling depressed. Your teacher can turn into a really great support system for you, someone you can talk to when you are feeling down and make your day that much brighter. I think that she does care a lot about you and all of her students and would be willing to sit down and talk to you if you need the support. It would be worth it to start getting the help and support you need to bring you out of this and back on the right track.

I know that sometimes it can be scary to ask a person for help, but I know that you can do it! You can ask to see her during a study hall or free period where she doesn't have a class either, before or after school, or after class and just be honest with her. She will probably be really glad that you were able to come to her!

Another thing you can do is write her a letter. I did this when telling my guidance counselor a few things. In this letter you can write down anything that you have to say and hand it to her, and maybe put in this letter that you'd like her support and want to set up a time (such as before/after school or a class as I listed earlier) to talk to her about it.

Stay strong and hang in there, because you can get through this!

Last edited by Hypothesis.; September 16th 2012 at 04:40 PM.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: My teacher gives me hope. - September 16th 2012, 04:30 PM

Hi there

I think it's wonderful you've found a teacher who you find comfort from and that you can go to these lessons and enjoy them and that they help you feel better. I think it's incredibly positive.

Honestly? If you feel comfortable in talking to her, then I think you should. I left school earlier in the year but I had two teachers who I built really good relationships with, one who I was talking to for over four years. Both of them helped me an awful lot. Tell her how you feel and let her in. Sometimes just having someone to talk to about how we're feeling what's going on for us can be really helpful. And sometimes we just need that bit of support or a little advice. Your teacher teaches people like yourself because she cares about you. I feel confident in saying she'd be more than happy to listen to you and try and help you in any way she can.

I hope all goes well :-)
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#5 (permalink)) Old
golauren Offline
Not a n00b

Re: My teacher gives me hope. - September 16th 2012, 04:31 PM

Thanks I'm thinking about writing a letter or either asking to see her afterschool. I'm so scared though, but I know she will get me the help I need and also be supportive. I wish I knew where to start.

-GoLauren

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: My teacher gives me hope. - September 16th 2012, 04:39 PM

It's awesome that you're writing the letter. You can either just mention you want to talk to her about something important after school and tell her what you need to when you get to her, or you can say that you need help with something and you feel like you can trust her. Then mention the depression and what you're going through and ask her to talk about it after school, for ideas.

I wish you the very best of luck and hope it goes well!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
golauren Offline
Not a n00b

Re: My teacher gives me hope. - September 22nd 2012, 02:29 PM

I was going to tell her but I chickened out! How should I tell her?

-GoLauren

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: My teacher gives me hope. - September 23rd 2012, 01:10 AM

Do you already have the letter written? In that case, you can always stick it in her mailbox or on her desk, so you're not physically handing it to her and she'll have it somewhere where she can see it and still read it. In the letter you can mention that you want to talk but are really scared to and ask her to make the first move and come to you, and then put it in her mailbox or a neat spot on her desk and walk away. That way she will still be getting it from you, but it may take some of the stress off.

Tell yourself that even though this is scary, it is for you. This teacher won't negatively judge you, yell at you, or hurt you. She will want to help you. Tell yourself that there will be more good done than harm from telling her about this, since she can be a support system and can help you through this. You can even keep something encouraging with you like a note saying "You can do this!"

It takes that one moment of courage to make a huge difference, so try and push past that fear and deliver the letter, because it will be very worth it! I wish you the best of luck!

(#9 (permalink)) Old
golauren Offline
Not a n00b

Re: My teacher gives me hope. - September 23rd 2012, 02:59 AM

I hope I can get the courage to tell her on Monday.

-GoLauren

(#10 (permalink)) Old
It's Magic Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Tess

Re: My teacher gives me hope. - September 26th 2012, 12:01 PM

I totally went through a similar situation last year with my history teacher. Only diffrence is that I sort of had a massive crush on her...
Point is; there's some people that just manage to have a certain effect on others... If you trust your teacher; I say go for it.

~ ~ ~ i just don't t h i n k that they'd understand ...

Closed Thread