TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
artlover13 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Maddie

my friend tried to kill herself - September 18th 2012, 07:37 PM

My best friend has a lot of stuff to deal with. Her dad and younger brother abuse her and her mom and her home is a really toxic environment. Her mom has basically forced her into an eating disorder, and she has sever bulimic symptoms. She told me today that over the weekend she intentionally overdosed because she felt like she just couldn't cope with it all, but also that she felt so scared afterwards because she realised that she doesn't really want to die she just didn't know what else to do.

I really don't know how to help her! I know that what I should do is tell someone at school (we're both 16 btw) but she has asked me not to because she doesn't want her family to get into trouble. I don't really think this is a good enough reason, because to be honest her family has fucked her up enough already (sorry for the language, I just resent people treating one of my best friends like that!) and her health is way more important, but I also know that I am pretty much the only person she trusts and talks to. If I were to tell someone she would obviously known it was me who told them and so would lose her best friend which (I'm guessing) would only make stuff worse.

Are there any alternatives to telling a teacher about this? I really don't know what to do and I'm so worried about her...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
ELEVATE
I've been here a while

Name: Hannah

Re: my friend tried to kill herself - September 19th 2012, 08:22 AM

Hey there

I honestly think the best thing you can do is tell a teacher or someone who can help. She may not want you too, but that is one of the best ways too help her. I told my best friend about some stuff, and she told someone, and yeah, I was mad, and I swore to myself I would never talk to her again. But that didn't last long. I decided that our friendship was more important, and I realised that it took a lot of courage to tell someone. If you tell someone and she is mad, hopefully it'll be like that. No promises though.

Another thing you can do is just be there for her when she needs to talk and make yourself available if she needs you. You sound like a really good friend and it sounds like she could really use a friend like you right now.

Another thing - maybe you could introduce her to TH. It's good to have support from lots of people through hard stuff.

I'm here if you ever want to talk

(#3 (permalink)) Old
hjpwarwick Offline
hannah
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: my friend tried to kill herself - September 19th 2012, 12:42 PM

would she wnat to leave her fmaily then?
liek go somewhere safe like care then?
has she got any other fmaily she can live with,

she needs to understand that she is worth more maybee even if she just gets onto this site she could get more help from ehre although she still needs an adult to know too.

it's very good that she has a friend liek you, or else who else would there be!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
hopefuldreamer Offline
lost in wonderland
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Tonya

Re: my friend tried to kill herself - September 19th 2012, 02:54 PM

I Would tell a teacher she may not like that u told at first but eventually she will see that u were doing it to help her and be okay. its for her own safety

Buddy since 11/17/12 Live Help Operator since 1/27/13 HelpLINK Mentor since 6/30/13
Email: tgentry7712@gmail.com send me an email if you want to.

Tumblr ecaepevolhgualevil
  Send a message via Skype™ to hopefuldreamer 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
artlover13 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Maddie

Re: my friend tried to kill herself - September 23rd 2012, 07:38 AM

Thank you all so much for your advice... I'm trying to think of who to tell (as in which teacher) but it's good to know that you all think it's a good idea to tell an adult. Then I don't feel like I'm just betraying her trust for nothing... And I will definitely try to get her on here! I think that it might really help her to be able to talk to people who have gone through similar stuff...

Closed Thread