TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
scenecrazyowl Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Julia

Question Telling a teacher? - November 16th 2012, 06:29 PM

I'm thinking of telling a teacher about the way I'm feeling. It's not going to be my homeroom teacher it's going to be a teacher that I actually trust but I was just wondering, what extent do things have to be for teachers to have to report it? I'm not going to say anything about my self harm and I'm not going to say the actual word "depressed" I'm just going to explain a little and ask for her guidance. I just really have a lot of stuff to get off my chest but I don't want my parents to find out.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Alex95 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alex

Re: Telling a teacher? - November 16th 2012, 07:54 PM

I don't think you can ever be sure whether a teacher will tell your parents, but they should only tell them if they believe you to be in danger of hurting yourself or committing suicide. If you tell them you've been having a hard time lately, and even about self-harm, they shouldn't tell anyone

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Alex95 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alex

Re: Telling a teacher? - November 16th 2012, 07:55 PM

Even better, you could talk to a school counsellor if you have one. They treat everything in strict confidentiality, unless, again, you're in danger of killing yourself.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
ELEVATE
I've been here a while

Name: Hannah

Re: Telling a teacher? - November 16th 2012, 08:08 PM

If you don't want your parents to find out, then don't tell anyone. However, I don't think this is the best way to go. Where I live teachers have to inform your parents of practically everything, but I don't know if it would be the same for where you live or not. Also, I suppose if you don't tell them about your SH or use the word depressed then maybe they won't tell your parents. I guess it all depends on the laws in wherever you live, which you could probably find out through Google or something like that.

Honestly, though, telling a teacher that you trust is probably a good thing. Talking about stuff is generally the best way to get it off your chest, and then that way you'll have some support. Which you deserve!!

Hope it goes well for you if you do decide to talk to a teacher!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Mitch Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Mitchell

Re: Telling a teacher? - November 17th 2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex95 View Post
Even better, you could talk to a school counsellor if you have one. They treat everything in strict confidentiality, unless, again, you're in danger of killing yourself.
Teachers aren't supposed to be talking to the students about personal issues like this in the first place and will most likely refer you to the guidance officer, so definitely go see the school counsellor as they are trained to be able to help you specifically - and they are really nice, I've seen them before and as said, they can't say anything to anyone unless you either want them to, or that they deem you a suicidal risk. If they ask you about self harm then tell them the truth - they will be able to help you.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Telling a teacher? - November 17th 2012, 11:41 AM

Honestly, it depends on the teacher as a person. Maybe you can gradually speak to your teacher and eventually after a few conversations work your way up to being depressed.

In high school, I noticed they're less likely to tell. My teacher didn't tell anyone about my self harm or suicidal idealation (it's on record) When it comes to anything like rape or someone hurting you then your teacher will have to tell.

Believe it or not, teachers pay a lot more attention then we think. Considering the fact that we have thirty or more kids per class, I was suprised how my teacher noticed I wasn't paying attention, and how the told me how she knows If I'm having a good or bad day. My point here is that your teacher might already know something's up, but not know how to talk to you about it.

In middle school, I had a teacher who went through the same things as I did and he never told anyone because he knows waht if feels like.

Do what you think is right. Hang in there <3

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#7 (permalink)) Old
WishingOnStarz Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Maggie

Re: Telling a teacher? - November 17th 2012, 01:40 PM

I think telling a trusted adult is a great idea!!!!! BUT, depending on what school you go to, the teacher may be obligated (by school rules, contract, law, etc.) to tell somebody. There are other routes to go as well though, a school guidance counselor is a great one, but if you really want to tell this teacher. Go ahead, BUT, there is no guarantee this teacher won't report it.
If you want feel free to PM me.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
~Divergent~ Offline
Struggling again.
I've been here a while

Name: Hailey

Re: Telling a teacher? - November 17th 2012, 05:20 PM

I'm going through the same situation you are. I sort of want to talk to my teacher about some tough stuff I'm dealing with right now, but I'm scared to because I think he might tell my parents, and I'm also having trouble getting up the courage to trust him - after all, it's a big leap of faith.

Honestly though, I think you should tell your teacher if you can. Try looking up the laws in your area about confidentiality between teachers & students. Teachers are mandated reporters, which means that they have to tell your parents/authorities if they believe you are in danger. I've witnessed this firsthand - my teacher has asked several students questions when they showed up at school with lots of bruises; just a "Hey, what's with all the bruises, so-and-so?" type thing, but definitely a discrete way of asking, "Hey, is anything going on that I should know about?" (Turns out both kids were fine, nothing weird was going on.)

But whether your teacher will tell your parents or not, I *still* think it's a good idea to talk to her. I bet it will feel really good to get things off your chest and feel like you have someone to talk to who wants to help you. Your parents are probably going to know at some point anyway, and the sooner they know, the sooner you can get help and be happy again (assuming that they will help you...).

Good luck, and if you do decide to talk to her, let me know how it goes if you want! Like I said, I'm going through the same thing and still debating with myself over it...so I totally understand.

Member since 9/27/12
Buddy since 9/14/13

(#9 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Telling a teacher? - November 19th 2012, 07:25 PM

Hey, if you tell and you don't mind, could you keep us posted? I can't speak for everyone else but I'd like to know how it goes ad I hope you're doing okay. <3

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

Closed Thread