TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
whatwhy me Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sara

Exclamation respond ASAP please - March 14th 2013, 02:56 AM

What would a hospital do about overdose. Im scared to go..

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: respond ASAP please - March 14th 2013, 03:10 AM

They would ask you what you took, when you took it, how much you took, and treat any conditions that arise due to the overdose. They would then treat any psychological conditions that may have lead to the overdose when you are physically stable.
Hospitals are pretty unbiased places, they just want to help you and they will never judge you if you seek help. I encourage you to seek help, overdoses can have lasting longterm negative effects on your liver and other vital organs.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: respond ASAP please - March 14th 2013, 04:18 PM

Hi

I know we've been PMing a little and I'm glad you've been talking to me. I Know that going to hospital to seek medical help after a overdose can be hard; I've been there several times but it's also very important. It might be that you're fit and well and don't need treatment but it's always better to be safe than sorry. They will ask questions ad their first priority will be to make sure you're medically fit. Once they know for sure that you haven't done any damage or when you have had treatment if needed and are well enough, the may then look into your mental health and contact a crisis team etc to get support in place for you.

Doctors and nurses see people with issues like yourself every day. I hope that if you go to hospital, you'll be treated nicely, but unfortunately, it doesn't always happen. I know I've had doctors who have had a go at me before after I've overdosed or self harmed and I've been called things like "stupid" and "silly" which made me really upset at the time so if this happens, don't be afraid to speak out okay? You're not stupid or anything like that and I think going to the hospital will be a really brave thing to do and I hope that you do so because you deserve the help - for you physical and mental health.

Take good care and stay fighting,
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#4 (permalink)) Old
hopefuldreamer Offline
lost in wonderland
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Tonya

Re: respond ASAP please - March 14th 2013, 04:44 PM

Jessie and Richard both made good points, the nurses and doctors at the hospital won't judge you. It is their priority to makes sure that you are healthy. They will ask you what you took, how much, and why. They will check your vital since such as blood pressure, oxygen,and maybe do an ekg, this is to watch for adverse reactions do to the medication that was taken. If all of your vitals are stable and good they will move on to treating what caused you to overdose and they may keep you over night for observation just to make sure you are safe and also to make sure your vitals stay stable. If your vitals are not stable they may give you charcoal to drink (it is liquid) or if necessary pump your stomach. Both of those things serve one purpose, to get as much of the medication out of your body as they can. Neither of the above listed things are to bad either so don't worry they may leave you with an upset stomach, but that is about it. It is better to go to the hospital and let them make sure everything is okay than to wait and have something bad happen. I hope everything goes okay for you.

Buddy since 11/17/12 Live Help Operator since 1/27/13 HelpLINK Mentor since 6/30/13
Email: tgentry7712@gmail.com send me an email if you want to.

Tumblr ecaepevolhgualevil
  Send a message via Skype™ to hopefuldreamer 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount17

Edit avatar

Re: respond ASAP please - March 14th 2013, 07:00 PM

Everyone told you some pretty helpful information and I don't know what to say because I've never been to the hospital for an attempt so I don't really have an experience to share. However, I do know that it's really important that you go. Make sure there's no damage and to get that out of your body. Please think about yourself, because you're worth it. What are you waiting for?

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Tara Leigh Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Tara leigh

Re: respond ASAP please - March 15th 2013, 03:50 PM

Right.. All i can say is breathe.. Calm down. The doctors and nurses would not criticise you for over dosing. But all the info others have told you is basically it.. I can only hope that you go and live the rest of your life happily

Closed Thread