TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Amorphous. Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Hamed Khatiz

Emotional Surges. - April 3rd 2013, 11:54 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of suicide, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread therefore might not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

HEY GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .

OK, so despite the introductions, this is not a happy thread........... in October there was a major disaster which I have talked to some people here about. The issue is ongoing, basically it's a friend who's in suicidal danger. I have never talked about what happened and the things I have heard with anyone in real life before but they are graphic.

But basically what happens is even when I think about it, I get this emotional rush up my body, not a good rush, like I am about to cry and I NEED to let it out. IE, it's affecting me, the incident in October, and everything else she has told me and that I have heard.

I need to talk to someone in real life and the Uni Councellor is aware of what happened, they're making an appointment with me soon, but how come online support didn't work for me and how do I know when it's time to talk to someone in real life about it?

H.

“At times the world may seem an unfriendly and sinister place,
But believe that there is much more good in it than bad.
All you have to do is look hard enough,
And what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events may in fact be the first steps of a journey.”

~My Childhood Friend.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
forever_hannah Offline
Save the Savior
Average Joe

Name: Hannah

Re: Emotional Surges. - April 3rd 2013, 06:25 PM

You said it yourself, this is affecting you. If these sudden rushes of emotion are interfering with your life then it's time to talk to someone. Chatting online helps some people, but there's nothing that can really replace the human element of actually talking with someone in person. Personally, I've found it helpful to do both.

It's great that you've made an appointment. I'm sure it'll help you. Is your friend getting help too? It seems like you care about her a lot so her situation is affecting you. As hard as it is to distance yourself from someone in need, sometimes you have to take a little space when it's starting to negatively affect your mental health. That being said, don't just ditch her cause that'd be awful. Maybe refer her to a counselor or the two of you could even go in together to talk about what happened.

Feel free to PM me if you need to talk. I hope I helped a little bit.

Hope is real. Help is real. LOVE is the movement.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Emotional Surges. - April 3rd 2013, 06:36 PM

Hey Hamed, It's a good idea to reach out for help when something is upsetting you to the point that it's interfering with school, work, relationships, etc. or if you feel the need to discuss it with someone. Online support works for some people, but it shouldn't be their only outlet, sometimes talking to others who understand is enough, and sometimes we need a professional who has been trained to help someone work through something. The internet is a good thing, but there's no substitute for contact with another human being. I'm really glad you're reaching out for help, and it's perfectly acceptable to do so.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount17

Edit avatar

Re: Emotional Surges. - April 4th 2013, 01:13 AM

Hi, Hamed!

I am soooooo sorry about this. I have a lot of experience with someone going through a really hard time so I know it can be really tough on you, always worrying. Although I never had that person be at risk of suicide so I can't imagine what you're going through. Just know that you're an amazing friend for being so concerned about this person. <3

I'm glad you made an appointment to talk with someone, I hope that'll help you. Sometimes both forms of support helps people. Online, and real life. So maybe speaking with this counselor will help you a bit and since it's effecting you, it might be a good idea to talk to loved ones about your concerns, what's going on and how you're feeling about it. Such as your siblings, your parents, or another friend. Sometimes you just need to know that someone cares and simply having someone know what you're going through can help a lot. It's like, when that person in your life smiles at you trying to cheer you up, you know you're loved and supported.

Is your friend getting any help? Maybe it'd be a good idea to recommend to her seeing a counselor/therapist to help with her issues and be there for her when she needs to talk. The bad rush you're feeling, I've gotten that before often. So when this is happening, it's okay to cry, it's okay to let it out because that's healthy. And afterwards, try your best to distract yourself and do something that makes you happy. Something you enjoy, or write down your feelings and thoughts in a journal.

Remember that distancing yourself and trying to distract yourself is okay. You aren't responsible for what happens. YOU are important. You matter too, so take care of yourself as well, okay? I hope this all works out for you and your friend. You're an amazing person and I care a lot about you so listen, no matter what happens, me and many others are here for you. You know I'm here to listen, anytime. Always feel free to message me, even if it's just to vent. I'm here for you, cupcake.

Even though it's so hard right now, it does get better and easier.

Stay Strong <3

Closed Thread