TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Max_99 Offline
Average Joe

Living/Coping With Major Depressive Disorder - April 5th 2013, 11:04 PM

Hello all!
I'm looking for advice and tips on living and coping with my Major Depressive Disorder. I've been diagnosed for about 6 or 7 years and I'm on medications but they just don't fix things 100%. I've had psychotherapy in the past and it's just never worked out for me or been my type of treatment. Suggestions to make my life a bit easier and happier?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Withdemonhearts Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Beth Anderson

Re: Living/Coping With Major Depressive Disorder - April 6th 2013, 12:22 AM

I was diagnosed with MDD a few years ago, and medications can help level out your mood but you're right they don't help all the time. What I've done to help with that is set small goals for myself. Silly little things to make my day, like maybe having some food you're craving for dinner. Or perhaps doing something extreme like snowboarding, horse riding, anything to give you adrenaline. Adrenaline will hype up your mood and you'll feel a bit better. Anything that can motivate you to get out of med and not sit around. Little goals have worked the best for me though, and when you feel one of your moods coming on, never sit down and just dwell in the sadness, get up and go for a run, get your blood moving. I hope this helped at least a little.
Stay Strong.
  Send a message via Yahoo to Withdemonhearts Send a message via Skype™ to Withdemonhearts 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: Living/Coping With Major Depressive Disorder - April 6th 2013, 03:44 AM

I wouldn't give up on psychotherapy too easily, it took me 6 tries to find the right therapist. Sometimes group therapy is better than individual, just depends on the person and the situation. Meditation helped me a fair amount as well. I took a group class on Buddhist meditation but I know Christians have similar things. It's definitely something you need to do the right way though -- not just sitting with your legs folded and breathing deeply. The goal is to let your harmful thoughts and emotions pass and focus on cultivating beneficial "seeds" within yourself.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount17

Edit avatar

Re: Living/Coping With Major Depressive Disorder - April 6th 2013, 03:51 AM

Hey!

Sorry to hear you struggle with depression. Well, when you're sad, the next thing you do is distractions and mainly trying to do something you enjoy to cheer yourself up, right? Same thing here. Try your best to do things you enjoy and try to find new things, new hobbies and interests. Like...
  • Go Biking
  • Go Roller Blading
  • Go Ice Skating
  • Go Horse Riding
  • Go for a walk/run
  • Draw
  • Paint
  • Play Games
  • Watch Movies
  • Watch TV
  • Go shopping
  • Cook new recipes
  • Try new foods
  • Redecorate your house/room
  • Organize your house/room
  • Take up knitting
  • Take up photography
  • Get a new pet, they're cuddly

As Beth said, the adrenaline in more active things helps to hype up your mood. I must mention that the sun helps to increase natural chemicals in your brain that induce more positive emotions, like a boost. So outside activities could help. And I'm not sure if it's true or not, but I read somewhere that we suffer from a "nature deficiency" and honestly, I believe it. Sometimes outdoor activities and nature in general, the fresh air and the beauty, it helps. So check out this article perhaps?

Keep a calender with plans for all parts of the day. Go ahead and plan out the future days so you'll know you have something to do and to distract yourself.

Another thing, simply changing up the way your room is decorated, even the sheets or something, changing it up could help so you'll have something new. Not the same ol' same ol'. Redecorate to something fresh. Have bright colors around your house instead of dull ones. Go out often.

Hope I helped a bit! Oh and I hope you feel better. Don't give up on this fight, okay? I'm here if you need someone to talk to.

Stay Strong <3

Last edited by DeletedAccount17; April 6th 2013 at 04:52 AM.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Living/Coping With Major Depressive Disorder - April 7th 2013, 11:37 AM

Hi there,

I'm glad that you've been trying to get through this and that even though it sounds like you still struggle, you're still here fighting, looking for help. It's so completely and utterly inspirational to see you fight like you and I think you should be really god damn proud of yourself for that and I hope you recognise it - you deserve too.

I don't have Major depressive disorder. I've recently been diagnosed with Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder but I'm not certain I agree with my diagnosis. I have terrible mood swings and this past few weeks has been awful for me but it's been an on-going problem for nearly eight years, but it's fair to say it's gotten to the worst as time as gone by. I'm telling you this because I want you to know that I can relate to you.

It's great that you're on medications. Do you feel they are helping at all? If so, brilliant. That's really positive. But do you think they could help more? Because if you do, maybe the dose you're on needs changing. If they don't help, maybe the medication itself needs changing. My team have always told me medication will help level things out, but that medication is not going to work to help get me into a stable state on it's own. Medication needs to be mixed with therapy as well as a healthy life style (socialization, healthy eating, exercising etc) and that a lot of the time, me being on medication, will help me to function well enough to be in therapy. Without, I wouldn't function and therefore being in therapy would be pointless. I also think it's good you've had psychotherapy. How long did you have it for, was it long term? If it was short term, I think trying it again, for more of a long term period would be a good thing. Maybe also going into something like general counselling or having something like CBT would help you. Maybe you could see your doctor about seeing a community psychiatric nurse. I see a CPN and sometimes we focus on CBT but sometimes, a lot of the time actually (I've had CBT alot in the past) we just have sessions and talk about anything I want. I keep a diary in the week, take it with me, and we go through it and anything else and just talk and come up with coping techniques and safety plans when things are really bad. My point is, there is more out there than just medication and psychotherapy. Google types of therapy and really look into and write things down, what you think will help you and why and go and talk to your doctor about it. Take control of your treatment. This is about you and you have a say in that. You deserve the help you need and want and if you doctor agree's with you, then maybe these things can be put in place and if they don't agree, let them voice their opinion and go from there.

I know it can get tiring when it's been going on for a long time and it feels like you have already tried a few different things, but you keep trying. Don't give up on things because like I said, there are more things out there to help you. And honestly? Medication and therapy is only some of what's going to help. What is going to help you the most, is what you do. What behaviors and activities you engage in. Christabel gave some great idea's for things you can do. Try some of them. Come up with your own idea's. Get involved in things, meet up with friends and do things with your life. And, if you find this hard to the point where you honestly, really feel like you can not do it, help is there to help you do it. Someone like an occupational therapist can help you to get involved in hobbies etc and it might really be good for you.

And then others things like, make sure you get plenty of sleep, but don't oversleep. Make an effort to look nice (it will make you feel nicer too!), eat well, get out in the sunshine, take time out to relax and so on.

Things can and will get better for you, okay? Do things to help yourself and allow people to help you too. Don't give up, it's not always going to be this way and recovery is possible. Anything is possible if you make it happen - you just have to fight for it. You're never alone.

Jessie.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread