TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
liberty9331 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Libby

Advice, please - April 21st 2013, 01:27 AM

My therapist suggested that I start taking an antidepressant for my depression and suicdal ideations. I told my mom but she seems reluctant since I'm already on an antidepressant for my panic disorder. I'm not sure what to do.

Sometimes I feel suicidal, and when I do, my parents brush me off like I'm being stupid and over-dramatic. Sometimes I wonder if I should go to the hospital when I feel this way. But I'm scared of what might happen if I do that. What would happen if I went to the hospital while feeling suicidal? Would they put me in a psych ward with other psych patients? How long would they keep me there if I went? What would they do to me? I'm just nervous about that happening.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
MBach528 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Just call me MB

Re: Advice, please - April 21st 2013, 02:25 AM

Honey, going to the hospital is absolutely what you should do. Yes, they might have to put you into a psychiatric facility if the severity of your situation is high. It is, after all, their job to save your life, or at least attempt to save your life. So they will do what it is they have to do. But I can tell you for a fact, a psychiatric facility isn't as bad as people make it seem. If you want to know what it may be like, please feel free to PM or VM me. I'd be happy to explain to you what it can be like, at least the way it was the three times I was there.

"One person can make a difference and everyone should try."
Live Help Operator since June 1st, 2013

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount17

Edit avatar

Re: Advice, please - April 24th 2013, 05:37 AM

Hi, Libby.

MB's right. And I think you should definitely go to the hospital when you feel this way, for sure. Your life is worth so much more than you think and this could save your life, so yes.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Musician Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Advice, please - April 24th 2013, 12:02 PM

Usually they keep you there for 2 - 3 weeks.As mentioned above,psych-hospitals are NOT as bad as you might think.They wont put a person with psychosis near you.What youre more likely to encounter is a variety of people who understand you and dont judge.

As far as the meds are concerned: If youre already on an anti-dep(for whatever reason),you shouldnt have serious thoughts about suicide or sink so low.Maybe the dosage can be pushed up a bit or go onto one that actually works!Eitherway,you should see a doc to give you the right treatment.

Good luck.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Advice, please - April 24th 2013, 03:01 PM

All psychiatric hospitals are different. I was in the same one three times. Shortest stay 4 days, longest stay five months and I was in there with people with depression, Anorexia, Psychotic depression, depression, OCD and many other illnesses. We didn't get separated. Sometimes that made it hard, because at times people would last out and be restrained but I was also that person at points too. But when we had good days we got on, not all of us, but you made friends and understood one another which was helpful.

That being said, if you took yourself to hospital because you were feeling unsafe, that doesn't mean you will be hospitalised. You will be surprised at the amount of people who turn up at the ER/A&E because of suicidal thoughts and not all of them get put onto psych wards. The world doesn't work quite like that. There is support in out-patients that can be put in place for you. I know you see a therapist and thats great but maybe the medication is something that needs to be looked into and maybe a crisis team can be involved and looking into different forms of therapy (DBT, CBT, Psychology etc).

Help is out there so don't be afraid to look for it and talk to people about the different kinds of support available for you.

Hope it all works out, make sure you get any help you need.
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#6 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Advice, please - April 24th 2013, 08:55 PM

Hi there

You're nineteen so you could probably go to the hospital without your mom knowing. Most likely, they'll do an evaluation and have you put on suicide watch if they feel that is the right thing to do.

As for the medication, there are different medicines that treat both panic disorder and depression/suicidal thoughts.

It gets better. Stay strong.<3

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Digit. Offline
Perfect INTP stereotype
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Jason

Re: Advice, please - April 24th 2013, 09:04 PM

Definitely go to the hospital if your feeling thoughts of that nature.

Normally what happens in psych wards is they put you around other people with the same disorders or similer.
They won't put you anyway uncomfortable or dangerous.
Don't worry.

Every heartbreak we go through makes us the perfect person for our soulmates. Shaping us into what they've always been looking for.

Need to talk, PM me.

To people(like me) who think asking for help annoys people I say:
It would bother me if you DIDN'T ask for help.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: Advice, please - April 24th 2013, 09:20 PM

IME suicidal ideation doesn't necessarily warrant a trip to the hospital unless you're feeling that way constantly or actually have a plan/intent. Your call. As for the meds, what are you taking now? Antidepressants are a large class of medications even if you're using the term strictly and differ substantially from one another. At one time I was on two a/d's and an anxiolytic (gabapentin - useless), another time on one a/d and xanax (a very potent drug, really). If it's going to be like zoloft + wellbutrin I'd just up the dose on whichever you're on now, taking multiple SSRI/SNRI drugs is just dangerous and a money making scheme by the doc.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
liberty9331 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Advice, please - April 25th 2013, 05:39 AM

Thanks to everyone who replied. I will be seeing my psychiatrist tomorrow, so we'll see what he thinks.

To answer an earlier question, I take Clomipramine (Anafranil) for my panic disorder, and have been taking it for about 7 years. It really does wonders for my panic disorder. As long as I'm on my medication I rarely have panic attacks. It is considered an anti-depressant, I believe it is a benzodiazapine (sp?). It isn't a common medication, but is supposed to treat depression in some cases. I'm just worried that maybe it IS treating my depression, and that without it my depression would be more severe.

I'm not sure what my psychiatrist will say. I don't believe he knows about my suicidal thoughts, but he'll find out tomorrow. We'll just have to wait and see what he says.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
liberty9331 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Advice, please - April 30th 2013, 02:04 AM

Well, my psychiatrist upped my dose on my current medication. Apparently it treats depression when the dose is high enough. But he did say that he doesn't want to put me on another medication.

He pretty much forced me to talk about the things that were bothering me the most. I had trouble even speaking the words to him. I kept getting choked up and started crying. He told me that the only way to deal with my feelings is to talk about them with my therapist. But I'm scared. I'm just totally embarassed and don't really want to talk about it, even though he's probably right.

It hurts to talk about what I've been through. I always cry and look stupid. Then not only am I upset, I'm embarassed too. I'd rather crawl into a hole and disappear than talk about it.

How do I talk about it when it hurts so much?

(#11 (permalink)) Old
MBach528 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Just call me MB

Re: Advice, please - April 30th 2013, 02:28 AM

You just keep pushing through it. I know it's difficult, but you need to understand that therapists and psychiatrists will not judge you - that's their job. And I'm sure there has patients in worse condition than you - they've probably seen a lot of different situations and they're trained to deal with them all professionally and in a non-judgemental way. I promise, you won't regret talking to them about this - they are there to help you.

"One person can make a difference and everyone should try."
Live Help Operator since June 1st, 2013

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: Advice, please - April 30th 2013, 02:13 PM

That unpronounceable medication you are taking is a tricyclic antidepressant, not a benzodiazepine. TCA's are an older class of antidepressant and usually aren't combined with other medications because the side effects and overdose danger can be too high. I wouldn't recommend taking it with alcohol, either.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Advice, please - April 30th 2013, 03:09 PM

Okay, so something my team have always told me at my worst points when my medication has been changing or I haven't been on any, and they've just re-started me on something, is that a medication such as an anti-depresent isn't going to cure everything but it's going to lift you and it's going to lift you into a place which will make it easier for you to have therapy. It brings you a therapeutic level. I've been in staged where I couldn't engage in therapy because of how low I was, on once my meds were started and they began to work, it became easier to have the treatment of therapy, you know?

But, it takes time. You'll also begin to find it easier to talk once you build relationships with people and the more and more you talk about it, the more and more comfortable you will become about talking about it. No, it might not ever be easy, but it won't always be this hard either. And it does get easier, okay? So keep taking your medication and keep going to your appointments keep pushing through, trying your hardest and it will get easier and you will get there.

I know it's hard but keep fighting okay?
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Last edited by Palmolive; April 30th 2013 at 05:18 PM.

Closed Thread