TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
xxprincessxx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Sammie

i need a break. - October 10th 2013, 01:17 AM

my life is turning into a complete mess again. i can't function. i'm stressed. my job is overwhelming, i'm failing a class because i'm to scared to go to class, i'm trying to play superwomen and help everybody else and now i'm falling.
i've been having panic attacks almost everyday (not normal for me) so my doctor put me on prozac, even though he knows that it makes me sick.
i can't take it - i have to many responsiblities.
my friends, they don't really know how bad it is, and all of them are way to busy tonight to listen.
i want to cut.
i want this to be over.
i don't have anybody to turn too.
or at least it feels like that.
it's like in order to get any serious attention, i have to die or something.

i literally, just want a break. i wouldn't mind actually checking myself into a hospital for a few days, just to stabilize myself (i don't think i'm suicidal, but i just, everything hurts, and i'm scared), but I have so many questions:
A.) Will my school find out if I admit myself? (they kick people out for stuff like this if they know about it.)
B.) Will my parents find out?
C.) How would I even go about getting admitted to the hospital?
D.) How would that affect my job/other responisbilities???

:[

all i want is a place to call my own and
mend the hearts of everyone who feels alone,
woah,
you know to keep your hopes up high and your head down low.

<3

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: i need a break. - October 10th 2013, 03:12 PM

A) Why on earth would your school kick you out for that? What kind of school is it?

B) You're legally an adult, so no, they wont find out unless you tell them or you don't cover your tracks well.

C) I don't really know. But to be honest, it would really just be better to see a psychiatrist or psychologist outside of the hospital because those places tend to be horrible and you'll receive better service as an outpatient.

More importantly, you just need to learn to say 'No' to some of the responsibilities in your life. Be more minimalist. You clearly have too much on your plate, so dump some of it off and try to find time to relax that way. A hospital probably wont be very relaxing.

D) They usually keep people for 3 days or until they are pumped full of drugs and 'stable', and then they release them back out into the world. Most importantly, being admitted to a psychiatric hospital will stay with you for the rest of your life, and it will hurt your job prospects in that way. In the eyes of potential employers (according to a study one of my psych professors told me about), people who have been to mental hospitals are seen worse than convicts but better than druggies. If you fail to disclose and they find out about it on your medical history, it is grounds for termination. Depending on what field you go into, it might block you as well. I can go into that more if you're interested.

If you want some time away from responsibilities, you can take it without going to a mental hospital. Just take some time to go do things you enjoy or at least sit quietly and relax. You have to put your needs first sometimes.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: i need a break. - October 12th 2013, 08:38 PM

A. If you have a diagnosed mental health disorder they cannot kick you out for seeking help. They may find out, unless you drop your classes you'll need a valid excuse for missing them or they can fail you for missing too many.

B. Probably not, if you're still on your parent's insurance they might find out that way, but it's still better to get help if you feel like you need it.

C. You can either go to the campus health/mental health center and let them know that you are struggling and feel like you need to go o the hospital. You can also go directly to the emergency room and let them know that you need help.

D. That depends on how long you're there for. I don't think you can be fired for this, but missing work would mean less money and it may affect how you are viewed by coworkers or employers. Like I said in A, missing school can be a pain, but if you need to you can take a leave of absence or get excused absences for any classes you would miss and that may also allow you to get extensions on any assignments that will be due while you're gone.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

Closed Thread