TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Its.Just.Angie Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Angie

Points: 10,038, Level: 14 Points: 10,038, Level: 14 Points: 10,038, Level: 14

Should I tell? (There is self harm mention here too) - January 26th 2014, 04:49 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of suicide, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread therefore might not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Ok I felt like doing suicide for the longest time right now (3ish months now) and it's too the point where Acting on it is the only option. And I have plans and stuff, but Part of me.. Little part of me is saying not to do it. And That's what is keeping me from acting on that. It happened to me in the past and I attempted, but failed (obviously)

I don't know if I should tell my therapist or not. She knows I lost some of my control on cutting, I never said the true reason why I did. (It was to cope with the thoughts) part of me telling I should. another isn't. To me I want to get better and stuff and it's basically the only way to get better. But I don't want to be sent somewhere if she has too... That's what is keeping it from myself.

Sorry I'm posting a lot recently, I'm probably annoying the crap outta you all! So yeah... Any advice is accepted
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Jordioa18 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Jordi

Points: 18,058, Level: 19 Points: 18,058, Level: 19 Points: 18,058, Level: 19

Re: Should I tell? (There is self harm mention here too) - January 26th 2014, 04:57 PM

If you can trust the therapist to not say it to anyone else, then you should. Telling it to anyone else should be your choice btw, not your therapists.

PSN: jordioa18

If you need help, PM/VM me
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Its.Just.Angie Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Should I tell? (There is self harm mention here too) - January 26th 2014, 05:00 PM

Hahaha thanks!
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Jordioa18 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Jordi

Points: 18,058, Level: 19 Points: 18,058, Level: 19 Points: 18,058, Level: 19

Re: Should I tell? (There is self harm mention here too) - January 26th 2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie_smile1 View Post
Hahaha thanks!
No problem Angie

PSN: jordioa18

If you need help, PM/VM me
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,466, Level: 59 Points: 172,466, Level: 59 Points: 172,466, Level: 59

Re: Should I tell? (There is self harm mention here too) - January 27th 2014, 10:47 AM

I definitely think you should tell your therapist. Even though a little part of you is saying not to do it, you don't want to hit a low point where you feel as if you are about to act on it and have nobody to turn to. You are important, your health and safety is important, and your recovery is important. You shouldn't have to deal with all of these thoughts all by yourself and it can be really beneficial to you to have your therapist by your side to get you through all of this. If she brings up sending you somewhere you can ask her if there is anything else she can try first, but remember that you deserve to be safe and to get through these thoughts.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
franz1 Offline
Out of the box thinker
Average Joe

Name: brady shaw

Points: 11,331, Level: 15 Points: 11,331, Level: 15 Points: 11,331, Level: 15

Re: Should I tell? (There is self harm mention here too) - January 27th 2014, 11:22 AM

I second what Terabithia. said above,
Don't be afraid to tell your therapist, she/he is there to help you through this, You don't have to be in this alone. You have a valuable resource at your disposal and I suggest you take full advantage of it.

I understand and know all to well the fear of hearing the words "well, I have to send you to......pink slip yada yada" But as stated above, ask if there is an alternative that can be tried first.

Another thing you could try is to do this: ask the following "Hypothetically, if I was to be pondering the though of suicide, what are my options?" Granted most therapists are keen to the hypothetical meaning (I am but don't want to tell you outright) which is fine, if he/she then says something that you think you can work with, then do it.

I wish you the best in your en devour and know, we are all here for you.

Helen: I'm someone who has chosen to embrace the broad spectrum of our reality.

​“Levity helps keep far more insidious things at bay.”
Dr. Helen Magnus, “Sanctuary For All”
SANCTUARY

“Feeling safe is something we all need.”
Dr. Will Zimmerman, “Sanctuary For All”
SANCTUARY

“We learn more from failure than from success.”
Nikola Tesla, “END OF NIGHTS” PART II
SANCTUARY

“Life without purpose isn’t… life.”
Will Zimmerman, “PAVOR NOCTURNUS”
SANCTUARY

Last edited by franz1; January 27th 2014 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Fixing typo's
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Its.Just.Angie Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Should I tell? (There is self harm mention here too) - January 27th 2014, 04:02 PM

Thanks for the replies I really appreciate them! and I was about to go somewhere last time about other reasons so I didn't dare to say it and It's holding me back because I'm afraid to be pink slipped. :/ but I guess if I did get pink slipped, it wouldn't be the end of the world! just bad for a few days!
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,939, Level: 26 Points: 33,939, Level: 26 Points: 33,939, Level: 26

Re: Should I tell? (There is self harm mention here too) - January 27th 2014, 07:07 PM

Hey Angie, I'm so sorry that you're struggling with this, I think you need to tell your therapist. I know the thought of possible hospitalization is really scary, but it is done as an ABSOLUTE LAST resort and for the shortest time necessary to keep you safe. I'm really glad that you want to get better and that is going to mean telling her about this. She wants to give you all the help you need, and she can't help you with stuff she doesn't know about. You're right, IF it happened it wouldn't be the end of the world. I hope you can allow yourself to get all the help you need.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Should I tell? (There is self harm mention here too) - January 28th 2014, 12:41 AM

Hey there,

You need to tell your counselor. I know it can be kind of hard to do but in the end you deserve to get the help that you therapist can offer you. I know you are worried about all the what ifs that might happen but in the end all that matters is keeping yourself from acting on harming yourself. You deserve to get to a better place.

Please hang in there and know that I am wishing you the best of luck.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Its.Just.Angie Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Should I tell? (There is self harm mention here too) - January 28th 2014, 02:23 AM

Thanks for the other replies it helps me a lot! I'm extremly nervous about it tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be brave enough!
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Ostreech Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,910, Level: 11 Points: 5,910, Level: 11 Points: 5,910, Level: 11

Re: Should I tell? (There is self harm mention here too) - January 28th 2014, 01:08 PM

Hello Angie,

First of all i would like to say that you are not alone in World.
Don't think like that you don't have anything , you have everything like two hands, two legs, nose, mouth, ears, stomach , Heart (Which is very important) and much more

and i know you have nice heart that's why everyone loves you .

Don't do this step and don't break your relatives, your parents, your friends, your colleague's Heart

Also do take a tour to visit new places
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Laurasaurus Offline
Learning to Fly
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Points: 12,022, Level: 15 Points: 12,022, Level: 15 Points: 12,022, Level: 15

Re: Should I tell? (There is self harm mention here too) - January 28th 2014, 04:55 PM

Hey Angie! I just wanted to wish you good luck telling her today. Whatever happens, it will be okay and you're going to get some help for these thoughts. Suicide is not your only option. Listen to that little part of you that wants you to stay. You can get through this.

Also, you aren't annoying at all. We're here for you, and we like answering your questions.

1/7/12 - Live Help Operator | 1/25/14 - HelpLINK Mentor | 6/8/14 - Depression and Suicide Forum Moderator | 6/8/14 - Addictive Behaviors Forum Moderator | 1/11/14 - Videos Team Member | 4/11/15 - Senior Live Help Operator

“I will be generous with my love today. I will sprinkle compliments and uplifting words everywhere I go. I will do this knowing that my words are like seeds and when they fall on fertile soil, a reflection of those seeds will grow into something greater.”

PM / VM

(#13 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount12

Edit avatar

Re: Should I tell? (There is self harm mention here too) - February 8th 2014, 04:39 AM

Hi, Angie!

I realize this is an older post. I just wanted to say that I'm really sorry you felt bad enough to attempt. I do think it'd be a good idea to tell your therapist. Since this is a bit of an older post, have you told her yet? If so, I hope it went well and things are a little better for you now.

Don't worry about annoying us, you definitely aren't at all! We're here to help you and listen. I like it when people post here, because they're reaching out and it's such a healthy thing to do. Just please always hold on, let the part of you telling you not to commit suicide guide you. Suicide is never your only option, it shouldn't even be an option. Because you're a unique person, all of us are unique in our own ways and there's no one exactly like us in the world. That makes each and every one of us special. Plus, you're 16 and you've got so much life ahead of you. You deserve to have the chance to live it. Things do get better.

You can message me if you need someone to talk to, okay? I'm a good listener.
Stay strong!
Closed Thread