TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Article Tools Search this Article Rate Article

Old
Rate Article
Coping with depression
by Storyteller. February 5th 2014, 10:32 PM

Coping with depression
By Zach (zeekool)

I've had depression for about a year now, but it seems like it has been at least five. Within this last year, I have been on four different depression-related medications, gone to a psychiatric hospital (for teens), and have had weekly therapy sessions with a psychiatrist. In the process, I've gained a lot of experience regarding how to cope with depression.

The most important rule I set for myself is: no searching symptoms and conditions on the Internet! I used to spend so much time looking up different mental illnesses, taking online tests to see if I had them, and then looking up all of their symptoms. It literally drove me crazy. Do not use the Internet for anything more than help with what you already know you have.

There are a few different things you can do to help yourself cope with depression, aside from seeing doctors and taking medicine. Four of these are: having routines, having goals, exercising, and socializing.

Routines are most helpful in the morning. Sometimes it can be very hard to get up, but it's important to, and routines help make this easier. You don't have to think as much in the morning if you already know what you're going to do. You can also help yourself by picking out what you're going to wear the night before. Getting up is important and the more depressed you feel, the more important it becomes. Some people choose to put their alarm clock on the other side of their room, so that they have to get up in order to turn it off.

Goals are important because they give you something to work towards and help you stay motivated. Just don't choose a goal that's too hard to reach because setting yourself up for failure won't help you. I've found that saving up your money for something specific works well because once you reach your goal, you'll have physical proof of your efforts. Try to save up for something that'll take some time, like a laptop.

Exercise can be extremely helpful because it releases natural anti-depressants. It also can improve your self esteem and make your body healthier, which is always good. Exercise also helps you sleep better, can serve as an outlet for anger or aggression, and increases your energy. Try to exercise regularly, at least a few times a week.

And finally, socializing. A lot of people start to isolate themselves when they are depressed, but it's very important to fight that urge. Even if you just sit on your couch with your sibling or parent and watch a movie, it's better than sitting in your room alone. Being with happy people can make you feel better because their mood can affect yours.

Also, you shouldn't harm yourself in any way or use any substances or alcohol. If you really feel the need to hurt yourself in some way, try alternatives to self-harm and remember that while drugs and alcohol could make you feel better for a couple hours, once the high wears off, you'll be in an even worse place than when you started.

If you're ever in a really tough spot, reach out to others, on sites like TeenHelp or in person. You're never alone!
Views 1426 Comments 0
Total Comments 0

Comments