TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives    The Holiday Resource

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MelancholyBirdy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Exclamation Therapist in a few minutes, physiciatrist tomorrow? - February 26th 2014, 01:48 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of suicide, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread therefore might not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

URGENT!!!!!HAPPENING TODAY! PLEASE ANSWER!?
Yui asked 12 hrs ago - 3 days left to answer
What will they do with me? What will she say? Am I going to be put in a hospital?Hello. I have a few questions, but I've narrowed them down, believe it or not. I'm 13, and live in Scotland. I wish to die. I cut myself, and have recently overdosed on abiprofen. I knew it wouldn't do much, and it's just made me sick. I've been taking too many of them for the past two days. I'm not here for someone to call me stupid. I simply want to know what will happen when I tell my therapist I have both overdosed, have been contemplating suicide and that I cut myself. She knows I want to die, but she doesn't know the other two or that I am thinking of commuting suicide. She has scheduled for me to go to a physiciatrist, and I am on Thursday. Today is Wednesday, so I'll be seeing her at 2 o'clock.

Will I be put to hospital? Will she tell my parents/mother? My mother is the one taking me today, but my father is taking me to the physiciatrist. I've never been before, so it will be my first time.

They want to put me on drugs to lift my mood, so I'll be able to function better and be able to do my work better for school. That's the problem. They all want to help me and help make me better. I don't think they're getting the fact I don't want to get better. I'm going to tell my therapist that later on today. I've been thinking that the only way they'll recognise this is if I actually die. So, I might. How will she react when I tell her that? Is there a possibility I'll get sent to some hospital or mental house? What's it like going to a physiciatrist? How will they react to all of this? Will he or she tell my parents/father about what I have said? Should I even say any of it or just not mention it?

Thank you if anyone actually answers all/any of these. Again, I'm not looking for people to tell me I am stupid or that I shouldn't kill myself/cut/whatever else. I'm also not looking for sympathy, or peole saying I have a lot to live for or to keep my head high. Thanks again.
Additional Details
Please answer, I have only a couple of hours.
Therapist doesn't know I cut or that I am suicidal.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Its.Just.Angie Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Angie

Re: Therapist in a few minutes, physiciatrist tomorrow? - February 26th 2014, 08:36 PM

hey! I'm sorry if I'm too late and already in the therapist office or whatever, but I want to say it isn't as bad as what I thought it was. It's not a scary place or anything

About the hospital. You can tell her you attempted suicide recently and they won't send you there unless you are at risk of doing it again. Or if you refuse to stay safe they would. (That is what happened to me) they will only tell your parents if you are at risk of killing yourself or someone else life's is at risk. other than that everything is confidential. They won't tell your parents that you cut or anything else you say.

I never been to a physiciatrist so I can't really help. I have been to a general doctor. And all they did was put me on meds. And made me do a question thingy about depression/anxiety. And that's about it.

So it's not that bad. You do have to option to refuse it all, but since your a minor idk, but ik you have a choice to put you on meds (they gave me a choice and I'm a minor) but they will try to convince you to get help and stuff. So you can always give it a chance and stop, but I recommend at least trying to get better ik I didn't want help at first. But I gave it a chance and I'm so much better than I was!

I hope they all go well feel free to PM/VM me any questions you still have

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Therapist in a few minutes, physiciatrist tomorrow? - February 26th 2014, 08:38 PM

Okay, first of all Welcome and no one here will call you stupid, we will tell you not to kill yourself though, because we care and we don't want you to do that.

It sounds like you're really overwhelmed with all of this and i don't blame you. it's perfectly normal to be nervous about it. What the professional will only hospitalize you as an absolute last resort if you are at an immediate risk of harming yourself. Unless the cutting is done as a suicide attempt, you probably won't be hospitalized just for that. They will ask you a lot of questions about the fact that you're suicidal and if they think the risk is high enough, hospitalization may happen, but only if they have to.

The same goes for telling your parents things. Unless you are an immediate risk to yourself (or someone else) they can't tell your parents anything about what you say. The fact that you don't want to get better sounds like the depression talking and if you go on medication, that will get better once it starts working. I've never been to a psychiatrist, but from what I understand, you answer questions about your symptoms and they start you on a medication based on what you tell them.

I know it's hard and scary, but the best thing you can do for yourself is to be completely honest with them. In order to give you all the help you need, they need to have the whole picture.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

Closed Thread