TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Friends and Family (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f18-friends-family/)
-   -   Parents are in denial (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f18-friends-family/t130297-parents-denial/)

mskawrak98 April 16th 2014 10:52 PM

Parents are in denial

My parents have known that I have depression for about 2 months after I was basically forced to tell them. However, they're refusing to accept that there's anything wrong with me, and I understand that, but how can I get them to accept it because if I ever try and bring it up, they just say that there's nothing wrong with me and change the subject and sometimes I need to talk to them about it but I can't.

Thanks in advance for any advice

DeletedAccount12 April 16th 2014 11:10 PM

Re: Parents are in denial

Hey there!

I'm not sure how helpful I can be but I'll try. Firstly though, I think it's really great that you want to talk to them about it and you're trying to find a way for them to accept this. Support can be really beneficial when you're going through stuff, and support from your parents might help quite a bit.

Learning that someone you love has depression can be pretty difficult. They may not be ready to accept that their son has depression. It may be hard for them to know of you feeling so sad. I suggest sitting them down and explaining how you feel. Let them know that it hurts when they won't acknowledge that you have depression problems. Ask them if you can talk to them about your depression and explain how much it's bothering you.

mskawrak98 April 16th 2014 11:18 PM

Thanks, I'll try and do my best to talk to them but like I've said in a previous post I do find it hard to talk to people about this. It's just a bit annoying that when I find the courage to actually bring it up they refuse to talk about.

DeletedAccount12 April 16th 2014 11:23 PM

Yeah, I understand how that'd be frustrating. You're opening up about such a deep issue and they just sort of dismiss it. I do think you're quite brave for opening up, though. I think that your parents will eventually come around sometime once they get used to the idea.

SpecterH April 16th 2014 11:47 PM

Do you see a counsellor or anyone similar? If so, you can ask to have your counsellor sit down with your parents and explain the situation to them in a way that they'll be receptive. Counsellors sit down with the parents of young people all the time; they're used to this.

punk8888 April 17th 2014 04:34 AM

I think that they might not have any advice to give you about it so they want to dismiss the subject.

mskawrak98 April 17th 2014 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpecterH (Post 1112448)
Do you see a counsellor or anyone similar?

I used to see one but I didn't like him so I stopped. Also they don't know that I used to see a counsellor but I'm going to try and tell them if I find the courage to do so.