TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
tipp Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,489, Level: 10 Points: 5,489, Level: 10 Points: 5,489, Level: 10

Self- Harm on Tumblr - August 11th 2014, 02:31 PM

Hi I was just wondering could someone explain the self- harm tumblr blogs to me?why they think people set them up and why people use them? Thanks
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Points: 71,033, Level: 38 Points: 71,033, Level: 38 Points: 71,033, Level: 38

Re: Self- Harm on Tumblr - August 11th 2014, 03:05 PM

Hi there,

Well, it would depend on the individual blog and what exactly do you mean by "self harm blogs". Do you mean blogs which post a lot of images and photos depicting self harm or do you mean blogs helping people who self harm or do you mean someone who just blogs about their self harm? Since they're all very different types of blogs.

I'd guess though that some people post pictures of SH to glamourise it, others might do it to purposefully trigger people (like what happened with the 4chan raid or whatever) or they might simply just feel posting and talking about it helps them.

I hope this helped a little, take care and if those types of blogs trigger you then you can install a browser extension called "tumblrSavior" which lets you blog certain tags
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Its.Just.Angie Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Angie

Points: 10,038, Level: 14 Points: 10,038, Level: 14 Points: 10,038, Level: 14

Re: Self- Harm on Tumblr - August 11th 2014, 03:10 PM

hey welcome to TH first of all I hope you like it here.

So. One of my friend one of those account that she post about depression, self harm etc. She says its a way to let out her emotions that are stuck inside and vent. That's one possible reasons. Another one could be that they get attention and by others say "please stop" don't do that, etc. I'm calling it attention seeking but idk what it is. another one is that they can find others who struggle too cause they may feel alone or all by there selves and most likely they'll find other people that have those types of tumblers too.

Personally I stay away from them, so I dont know a whole lot about them :P
Feel free to PM/VMe.any time
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Em. Offline
I don't even like cats
Average Joe

Name: Emily

Points: 12,776, Level: 16 Points: 12,776, Level: 16 Points: 12,776, Level: 16

Re: Self- Harm on Tumblr - August 11th 2014, 03:52 PM

To be honest I have one of those tumblrs myself, nobody sees it as I don't put any tags it's on private and I have 2 followers. The reason why i do it is because hopefully I'll look back at how I was and hopefully improved.

I probably trigger myself on it but when I feel really down it distracts me and I'm quite squeamish so it puts me off sometimes. It is a distraction and a way of expressing myself and my darkest thoughts, it finds words for how you are feeling.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kintsukuroi. Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 41,173, Level: 29 Points: 41,173, Level: 29 Points: 41,173, Level: 29

Re: Self- Harm on Tumblr - August 11th 2014, 05:30 PM

I have a blog like that, I use it as a distraction and it helps me to get my feelings out. It can be triggering but most of the time it helps me to control my urges. By blogging it helps to feel better in a way because I can get my thoughts out and I can speak what's on my mind without worrying about what people will think of me. It's the only time I can be 100% honest with how I'm feeling/what I'm going through. People on tumblr understand or kinda understand what I'm going through. I've also met a few good friends on there as well. I have a trigger warning on my blog with the statement "I don't promote self harm/eating disorders/suicide" and I have it set up as NSFW. I have a "private" blog that I post more triggering/personal/flashbacks/memories just so I can keep track of them, and no one has access to my private blog except for me. The "public" blog I have I reblog pictures/quotes And less personal posts.

Last edited by Kintsukuroi.; August 11th 2014 at 05:48 PM.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Astrophile. Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Brittany

Points: 19,786, Level: 20 Points: 19,786, Level: 20 Points: 19,786, Level: 20

Re: Self- Harm on Tumblr - August 11th 2014, 05:32 PM

I know people who use SH Tumblr blogs to promote SH (which in my opinion is uncalled for). I also know people who use them to get their feelings out without actually hurting themselves. There's a ton of reasons- it all depends on the person/situation.

There is no beauty without some strangeness.
-EAP-

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Pandalover2506 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Emily

Points: 5,659, Level: 11 Points: 5,659, Level: 11 Points: 5,659, Level: 11

Re: Self- Harm on Tumblr - August 11th 2014, 08:04 PM

I honestly have a tumblr blog that has some self harm posts but not all. I have a depression blog. The purpose of it is to let out my feelings and the real me. I don't really show my depression a lot its something I hide very well and my tumblr helps me let my inner feelings out.
Closed Thread