TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BreathingIn Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 7,702, Level: 12 Points: 7,702, Level: 12 Points: 7,702, Level: 12

Are my parents irresponsible or just lazy? - March 6th 2015, 07:04 PM

I got my driver's license recently, the only car my family has doesn't have insurance. I won't drive it until it does. However, my parents keep saying they'll get insurance but they don't. I keep reminding them but it feels like I'm nagging, and if I tell them too many times my mom will yell at me.

I feel a lot of pressure is on me to get them to do this, but I also feel it's hopeless. How do I get them to do simple things and keep up on them?

I can't set a deadline because my parents won't stick with it. I feel like I have to keep nagging them and put up with my mom's yelling until they do it. I don't know how to get insurance and my dad is the owner of our policy. He doesn't tell me anything. He actually doesn't know much himself. When I asked him what company we had the insurance through, he had to sort through a thousand papers to find a bill with the name on it because he couldn't remember.

What do I do to make them get insurance? But I know it's going to be another issue to have my mom let me drive the car. She uses it twice a week, but I know she's going to tell me I can't drive it. My friends expect me to start driving places and I feel like that's even more pressure. No one is really understanding my dilemma here.

Can anyone help? How do you handle irresponsible or lazy parents? Because it's beginning to interfere with my life. It's my dad's policy, I can't do it myself, but it's a battle to get him to do it.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Are my parents irresponsible or just lazy? - March 7th 2015, 02:31 AM

I can see why you're frustrated. I would be, too. I don't know your parents personally so I can't say whether or not they're lazy or irresponsible. From my experience, however, it could very well be that they're busy with other things or they're forgetting to make the call. Sometimes when my parents forget to make calls, I write down the information on a sheet of paper and put it where I know they'll see it. You might be able to try doing the same and putting it on the table or the refrigerator.

You could try telling them that you'd like to go out with your friends on a certain date or time and you can do this at a time that is particularly close (even in a time frame of a few hours) so they're more likely to call sooner. You might be able to casually bring your parents the phone and ask them to call right then and there and just tell them that you're trying to cross things off your to-do list, and calling for insurance is one of those things.

I hope everything works out!

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
Closed Thread