TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
xxprincessxx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Sammie

counseling - June 15th 2015, 04:54 PM

So, I recently moved back to the city I grew up with.
It's had it's ups and downs mostly because I'm discontent here and there's a lot of memories I really don't like.
My boyfriend and I are trying to move eventually but we need to save up money first.

I wanted to go back to my old therapist that I had before college because I could talk to her about anything. When I looked at the page (heathgrades.com) it didn't list that she carries my insurance anymore and I don't think I can pay full pocket to see her.

I have a counselor now, but I can't really open up to him in a manner that I would like. I really just want to see my old counselor, but if she doesn't take my insurance I don't know what I can do about it....any advice?

all i want is a place to call my own and
mend the hearts of everyone who feels alone,
woah,
you know to keep your hopes up high and your head down low.

<3

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: counseling - June 15th 2015, 11:32 PM

Have you tried speaking with the therapist about this? She may be able to provide other means of getting you covered, or at least lower her rates. Some do this, not all -- but especially if you're a re-peat patient (pardon the literalness), I'd imagine she may be flexible. It doesn't hurt to try asking.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...
I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Re: counseling - June 15th 2015, 11:59 PM

Hey,

I would definitely get in touch with your old counsellor and see what she says, it doesn't hurt to enquire. If this is someone you feel more comfortable speaking to then it could be a good idea to try to go back to her if at all possible.

I wish you the best of luck,
Paige

Facta Non Verba
Deeds not words

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: counseling - June 16th 2015, 05:59 AM

Hey, Sammie!

Before you go any further, I think it'd be a good idea to call your old therapist or go see her to talk with her and discuss whether there's other ways of covering you. Asking her can't hurt! Especially if there's a chance you could see a therapist that you feel more comfortable with.

As for your current counselor, is there a particular reason you feel you can't open up to him? Comfort and mutual trust is important when seeing a professional, so if you don't have that with your current counselor than it's completely okay and understandable. If you feel you can't eventually warm up to him and if you can't go back to seeing your old therapist, are there any other counselors in your area you could see?

Hope you can go back to your old therapist or work out something where you can see someone you're most comfortable with so that you're able to get the most out of your counseling sessions. Feel free to keep us updated if you'd like! Take care, Sammie.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: counseling - June 16th 2015, 06:10 AM

Hey Sammie,
The previous posters gave some good ideas. But I just wanted to add that maybe you can additionally get in touch with your insurance company and find out if you get out of network benefits. I'm trying to find that out for a specific doctor myself and you can do that for s therapist who takes out of network. Basically what that means is that you pay for sessions but your insurance reimburses you afterwords. Maybe that's an option, if your insurance does in fact do that. There is also sliding scale, which is a muxh lower cost per session but that is still out of pocket. Lastly, i wanted to mention working with yoir former therapist's colleagues. If ypur former therapist knows other therapists and refers you, it might be less hassle than finding one from scratxh and you might click with them more likely because chances are thry have similarities to your former therapist. Best of luck with this and let us know what happens

(#6 (permalink)) Old
MaryNutter Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: counseling - June 22nd 2015, 07:35 AM

In my opinion it is possible to recover from any type of depression and anxiety, for that you have to keep your mind relaxed and calm. You can do yoga or any other exercises to relax your mind and stay focused towards your goal. To know more you can visit gymcomrade.com online.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: counseling - June 22nd 2015, 07:51 AM

My insurance card has a website that you can go to to get a list of doctors that are covered. You might want to check if your insurance has something similar. It will be much easier to tell whether this therapist is covered. If that isn't an option then reach out to this therapist and ask her if she takes your insurance. If she doesn't she definitely might be able to work with you to help you get a lower rate. Some therapists will work with patients on a sliding scale. It's worth looking into.

If you don't feel you can be open with the therapist you currently have it would be worth trying to find another one who you can be open with. Even if it isn't the therapist you want. Do you know what might be causing you to feel like you can't open up to this therapist? It might help if you identify the block.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread