TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BreathingIn Offline
Junior TeenHelper

My life is going nowhere. - June 30th 2015, 04:02 PM

I graduated 4 year uni a couple months ago. Since the beginning of the year, I been looking for a job. I have applied over 100 times and I only got a handful of rejections. The rest I never heard from.

I still live with my parents and it's complete torture. I don't have my own car and they limit me where I can go with theirs. I hate having to tell them everything I'm doing and everywhere I'm going. I fight them to even go to the store by myself. They are very nosy. I have always been a mature person, I was never a reclusive child. I've never given them a reason to not trust me, but they just cannot let me go and it's holding me back. I have tried talking to them and all they can say is "Get a job then and get out". It's not as easy as it sounds!

I can't even get a waitress job just to have a little bit of money. I applied last week and never heard back. I have some doctors bills to pay and don't have a penny to pay for them.

I want my own car, but I will only buy a new car. My family has bought used cars over the years and I know how horrible they can be. I do not have thousands of dollars to fix things if it breaks down. I won't test my luck with a used car, so I have to buy new but I don't have $300+ a month for a car payment now.

My life is going absolutely no where. I'm stuck at home all day, every day. I'm not being hired even though I have 2 internships and 2 part time job experiences, and a 4 year Bachelor's degree. I have no money to go out with my friends. Even if I did, my parents limit where I can drive the car and get worried when I go.

If things don't change soon, there will be no point to my life. If I'm going nowhere, then why bother? I'm getting very hopeless.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Ral. Offline
'ello.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jack

Re: My life is going nowhere. - June 30th 2015, 04:35 PM

Hey there,

Firstly I want to say that I'm sorry that you're in a rough spot right now, but I can assure you that life won't always be so difficult. I noticed you just posted on another user's thread and you referenced actors how they don't get into acting until they're 40 and I'm gonna reference a quote you made which I really liked! "We can't rush our lives and where we are in life. Everyone is going at their own pace."

The first thing I want to tell you is that you should understand that your reaction to this is completely normal, you're applying for jobs and unfortunately you aren't hearing back. This doesn't mean there's something wrong with you, from what I can tell from the things you've mentioned; you're a really well educated person with a fantastic set of skills. The situation that most employers are in where I live is that they either want to employ young teenagers (17-19) as apprentices or as part-time workers because they simply don't want to pay as much money as they would need to pay someone as qualified as yourself.

What aspirations do you have in life, is there a particular job you would like to work as? If so have you tried looking into any traineeships? Although they're unpaid for a few weeks, they're a great way to show that you're keen, interested and that you are willing to work, and not just another graduate trying to make some money. It also looks fantastic on a resume if you've taken part in unpaid work.

As for your parents, have you explained your situation in regards to trying to find a job? Maybe they have some friends looking for someone to do some work for them or they may even be able to help you out a little bit. If you don't ask, you'll never find out! Over-protective parents can be a bit of a nightmare, but I'm sure if you fully explain the situation and how you're feeling, you can get through this.

If you need to talk about anything or just want a friendly chat now and again, feel free to PM/VM me.

Take care dear,

Jack.

PM/VM Me if you need any sort of help, I welcome ANYONE who wants to talk.

"In case you didn't know, dead people don't bleed. If you can bleed, see it, feel it, then you know you're alive. It's irrefutable, undeniable proof. Sometimes I just need a little reminder.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: My life is going nowhere. - June 30th 2015, 10:31 PM

Hi there!

I'm sorry to hear that you're in this situation. How you're feeling is understandable given the circumstances you're in.

Unfortunately, too many people go through college only to not be able to find a job afterwards. However, that doesn't mean the situation is completely hopeless. I think that if you continue submitting applications and calling about jobs, that you'll find something eventually. Do you have any hobbies you enjoy that could turn into a temporary job to earn you money in the meantime? Such as jewelry-making, painting, drawing, photography, things like that?

The fact that your parents are so nosy and have to know everywhere you go must be really frustrating, I can understand how that'd discourage you from wanting to go out with friends. Can your friends pick you up when you have plans to spend time together and go out? In a way, it seems like your parents care for you and simply worry for you. But I believe they should reward your maturity by letting you have space to do your own things. In the meantime, do you have a friend that you could move in? Sort of like a roommate idea. Until you get a job, you could take care of things around the house such as cleaning for example, and the two of you could share transportation etc. Then once something comes up job-wise, you could help with some of the bills and begin saving up enough to get a car.

Not being able to get a job and also having to deal with overprotective parents must be a really tough situation. Which is understandable that you'd feel the way you do, but there's a huge point to your life. You obviously worked very hard for your degrees and you're qualified, so I imagine a job will come up soon. Plus, even when things are hard, it's still worth getting through because life is worth it. All the stress and feelings of pointlessness you're feeling isn't forever, but I know it's still hard for you. Stay hopeful because you can do this, even when you think you can't.

You're welcome to continue writing here, and you can message me if you'd like someone to talk to, okay? I don't mind listening. Take care and I wish you the best of luck.

Closed Thread