TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22

Transfer process (college) - September 18th 2015, 06:23 PM

I'm trying to transfer to a better college and I was just wondering if anybody has gone through the process. So far, its been brutal. The application is coming on top of a 32 credit hour equivalent (school + work) and I don't have any blowoff classes to make it easier, leaving lots of homework. The essays suck. Could anyone give a quick explanation of the process, just to make sure Im not missing anything? I'd prefer it from people who successfully transferred.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,958, Level: 26 Points: 33,958, Level: 26 Points: 33,958, Level: 26

Re: Transfer process (college) - September 18th 2015, 08:35 PM

I didn't have any essays and mine took all of about 10 minutes. All I had to do was fill in the basic information, get a letter of recommendation (because the school I was transferring to required one), and request/submit all my transcripts and test scores which was the most annoying part after I secured a recommendation. Never heard of essays being required of transfer students. Just make sure you're using the transfer student application and not the one for new freshmen (sounds obvious I know).

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Transfer process (college) - September 18th 2015, 10:07 PM

Well, I'm trying to transfer to a school thats barely half a step below the Ivy league. Maybe I'm just freaking out about the whole thing, but its really hard to finish for me, and I feel like there are a ton of steps. There are 4 essays and an optional one for any extra details not covered in the other ones.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: Transfer process (college) - September 21st 2015, 02:27 AM

Does your current university have writing labs or services that help edit students' papers? My undergrad did, along with career services which helped me write my personal statement for graduate school, and it was incredibly helpful. The most important thing is establishing a good GPA and record at your current university so you seem like a good investment for the new university (are you involved in organizations? Are you in the honors college or equivalent at your university? Etc). Also, essays are generally a lot more important than test scores. They're more personal.

something burning?
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Transfer process (college) - September 21st 2015, 03:37 AM

Coming out of high school, my essays were garbage. Now, I'd say they are very good to great considering one of them is approximately 100 words, another is max 300, another max 500, and the personal statement is max 650. Whereas I tried to say before, "hey, look at me and what I've accomplished", this time I tried to convey my growth as a person and leader, my competitive nature (which is a stretch, I'm very passive), my dedication to my field, and my research into the university and why the curriculum is relevant to me (that essay was the hardest but I think I nailed it). My personal essay, as my mom puts it, reads like a good book.
The reason I'm still worried is because of the nature of transferring to a much better university. Its much tougher because the field is usually smaller and more selective. I have a 3.67, which is well above the 3.0 starting point, but I don't have time for any distinguishing clubs or anything. I do have 3 letters of recommendation, and I think its safe to assume they'll be excellent because I aced those professor's classes and was friendly with all of them.
So yeah. Worried, but confident that I put forth my best effort this time.
Closed Thread