TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
into creation x Offline
Not a n00b

Life is hard and motivation is hard too - September 25th 2015, 07:55 PM

I don't think I've posted for years on here. I've been diagnosed about 3 years ago with depression and anxiety and it's always coming and going. I've sort of accepted that but wish it wasn't this way.

It's kinda funny. I now know after all this time how to feel better. I know if I get myself to the gym I will feel better. I know if I don't sleep too much I will feel better. I know if I don't isolate myself I will feel better. If I don't eat shit I will feel better, see natural daylight, eat fruit, walk, talk to strangers in supermarkets and lots of other stuff.

I know all this, I suppose I can say it's tried and tested personally. So why can't I motivate myself?

I hate this whole university thing being a social thing. I almost want to fit in but sort of know why I don't. I'm homesick. I miss my family and familiarity. Life is hard......

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: Life is hard and motivation is hard too - September 26th 2015, 02:03 AM

Hey there.

You have no idea how many can relate to you. Many people know ways to help them feel better by taking healthy measures both physically and emotionally but lack the motivation to actually carry those goals out. It's very common actually. I am sorry that you're struggling with depression and lack of motivation in the first place. Depression has ways of taking away motivation and it sounds rather difficult. As hard as it may be, sometimes it's good to do your very best to keep up routines even if you don't have the motivation, even the simplest things. Just take action and remind yourself you will be able to relax after you do something such as going for a walk.

Would it help to make things "easy access" so to speak and make a to-do list of some sort? For some reason, being able to cross things off a list and know you're making progress throughout the day can be oddly motivating. You could also get one of those small calendar planners and plan what you're going to do during the week whether it be going to the gym, going for walks etc. By easy access, I mean keep fruits and vegetables at home near you such as when you're studying or doing something else (so you'll be less likely to choose an unhealthy snack over, say, an orange) and doing your best not to buy unhealthy snacks often. As for getting natural light, how about keeping your windows and curtains open often so the house is kind of lit up during the day? Not sure how many things you can do on a college campus but at home, outside activities could be a fun way for you to get outside as well such as gardening for example. For exercise, you might find it more appealing to get exercise in a way such as riding your bike or going for runs so you get to see scenery rather than exercising in the same gym. Doing the exact same thing can take away motivation after awhile. What about carrying a device to listen to music on during walks? Music can be very motivating!

Not being in a place around people you know would understandably cause you to feel homesick. Would it help to have some things that feel like home? Anything simple even a blanket or a pillow just as an example. Can you stay in contact with friends and family over phone calls, Skype and even visits back home when possible? As for college itself, you don't have to fit in. College sounds like a great place to make friends sometimes but you shouldn't have to stress yourself out to fit in when the main focus is education. Plus, making friends that you don't have to change things about yourself to "fit in" will create the best friendships in my opinion.

Even though you already know all the ways to help yourself feel better, having support and maybe someone to "cheer you on" can make a big difference. Is there any teacher, trusted adult or any friend at your college that you can talk to about your issues with motivation? Having extra advice and motivation along with simply being able to talk about things on your mind and what's bothering you. Taking up hobbies that allow you to express yourself may add some happiness in your day as well if that would help?

Hope this made sense and helped somehow. I wish you the best of luck and I hope you feel better soon. Stay strong.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Green Yoshi Offline
The screwdriverneedsgas!
I've been here a while

Name: carwithnogas

Re: Life is hard and motivation is hard too - September 26th 2015, 03:04 PM

I've pmed you regarding this and i want you to know that everything eventually gets better. There's no such thing as a tunnel without a light at the end. I get the feeling that you need to try new things, expand your horizons and just be happy and do whatever you want because you deserve better than to make yourself look bad.

And i know that you've so many things on your mind, but calm down, and do things one at a time. There's no point being too anxious and worried about something that's just going to boil over.

You'll always have us, and we'll never ever leave you. I'll always be here to cheer you on.

It's called a tunnel because there's ALWAYS a light at the end.

rant to me if there's anything!

http://www.teenhelp.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=27464

screwdriverneedsgas

As usual... pm me if you are ever having a tough day, and I'll respond immediately.

You guys deserve to be happy no matter what.. okay? You people are a bunch of lovelies ... and no matter what, you people deserve to be happy.

Closed Thread