TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
xxprincessxx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Sammie

Seasonal Affective Disorder - October 10th 2015, 07:56 PM

Every Fall I always have a tendency to start feeling depressed. It doesn't last long, but I always forget until it shows up. Lately, for the past week or so I have been having urges to cut for no reason and have been really emotional. At first I just thought it was me being hormonal but then I didn't snap out of it.

It's hard to talk to people about this because then they just think I'm making it up or always have depression, when I don't. I also feel stupid because I know the feeling will go away. It's just a bummer though.

Fall is actually my favorite time of the year, except I'm usually to depressed to enjoy it. I know that when I'm with people I feel better, but I want to be happy on my own. Like today, when my boyfriend was at work, I went shopping because that's my hobby and I was only able to enjoy one store before feeling like shit.

So, now I'm sitting in my bed, waiting for my boyfriend to get home and not knowing what to do. This time always scares me because in High School, I suffered from major depressive disorder and that finally went away. So anytime I feel slightly depressed, I worry that it's coming back. Also, depression and having an anxiety disorder together is super hard to cope with. Because I need to be active and try to be healthy to keep my anixety okay, and it's hard enough when I feel like I'm dying, but adding depression to that makes it a whole different monster that I don't know how to take on.

all i want is a place to call my own and
mend the hearts of everyone who feels alone,
woah,
you know to keep your hopes up high and your head down low.

<3

(#2 (permalink)) Old
CaptainCastle Offline
Should I call you Captain?
Average Joe

Name: Ry

Re: Seasonal Affective Disorder - October 10th 2015, 08:58 PM

I have reverse seasonal affective disorder, which means summer is my problem and it differs slightly from SAD because its more of an agitated depression and it includes anxiety. Its rubbish not really having a reason for feeling bad and not really being able to do anything about it (short of having a time machine). I find the best way to deal with it is to keep busy. My hobby is making jewellery so I do that a lot to keep me busy, but if I'm feeling really rubbish or too tired then I watch something or read a book. If you keep your mind occupied then you shouldn't get quite so down when there aren't people around.

PM/VM me anytime

Joined TH 24/06/05
  Send a message via MSN to CaptainCastle  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Green Yoshi Offline
The screwdriverneedsgas!
I've been here a while

Name: carwithnogas

Re: Seasonal Affective Disorder - October 11th 2015, 07:33 AM

I think it's a matter of the mind. The more you occupy yourself with activities which you like and love, the less time you have to worry about this matter. Just remember, do things which make you happy, and occupy yourself with positive things.

From what i experience, reading, hanging out, movies and things like netflix are all extremely good choices to use up free time. And they're fun as well so much for you to get into! things like the flash, etc and stuff can easily keep you occupied.

Btw, if you want to rant to someone bout anything, i'll always be arounds.

It's called a tunnel because there's ALWAYS a light at the end.

rant to me if there's anything!

http://www.teenhelp.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=27464

screwdriverneedsgas

As usual... pm me if you are ever having a tough day, and I'll respond immediately.

You guys deserve to be happy no matter what.. okay? You people are a bunch of lovelies ... and no matter what, you people deserve to be happy.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: Seasonal Affective Disorder - October 11th 2015, 07:50 AM

Hi, Sammie!

I'm sorry you deal with SAD. It must be difficult especially when you feel like you can't talk to anyone about it and also the worries that your depression is coming back when you start feeling this way. Reassuring yourself that it must be SAD occurring as these feelings happen to start as autumn arrives might help.

What about finding new ways to enjoy autumn while also exposing yourself to sunlight that may boost your mood? Go for a walk if you live in a fairly safe area for the fresh air, sunlight and scenery mainly. Bring along a jacket so you don't get too cold and just take in the sights. Focus on the color of the leaves on the trees, walk through all the leaves on the ground and embrace the feeling of the fresh crisp air. Maybe even bring along a device and earphones so you can listen to music to keep you pumped up. Aside from that, how about doing autumn-themed hobbies? There are lots of unique and fun DIY projects that are autumn themed. Plus, doing crafts could help keep you distracted and happy even when others aren't around as Ry said.

Mainly I suggest finding things that make you feel happy. This can be anything. Explore your interests and try new hobbies to search for things you can do in your spare time. When you run out of ideas you could resort to getting immersed in a book or a TV series! Lots of new TV series' return or premiere in the fall so this would be a good time to do so. Simple relaxing things aren't a bad idea either such as puzzles or coloring for example.

Hope you feel better soon and enjoy autumn! Stay strong and hang in there. Let me know if you need someone to talk to - I won't think you are making things up.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Seasonal Affective Disorder - October 11th 2015, 12:10 PM

Hi there,

I suffer from SAD too so I completely understand where you're coming from. Hanging out with friends is probably the last thing you feel like doing on bad days but last year I spent a lot of time hanging out with friends on a regular basis every week and it really helped.

Changing your diet can also help some people. I know it's tempting to just sit and pig out on chocolate and sweets and cakes but try looking up some recipes for meals you like eating, not only will a good diet improve depressive symptoms but I find cooking very therapeutic and it'll give you something to do as a distraction.

You might find that a low dose of antidepressants could help you through the winter months but they're not for everybody. Still, it's something you could discuss with your doctor if you get a chance and you could maybe ask about therapy too as talking to people does help but I understand why you're hesitant to talk to family and friends as I worry about sounding stupid too.

There's also the light boxes you could try. Amazon sells them but they're pretty expensive for a good one. I haven't tried one due to the cost but a lot of research says they can help.

I hope this helps, take care

Closed Thread