TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Elmrin Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Bluebird

Question I Can't Read - April 22nd 2016, 02:24 AM

So I can't read. I sit down with a book and I can't explain how hard it is just to get a few sentence read, let alone a whole page. I can't even read.. When I realized that I felt so fucking worthless.

This is especially problematic because I am now "home schooled" meaning I have to basically teach myself. And if I'm going to accomplish anything I need to be able to read. Not just for education but as an escape. Reading is an escape from reality and an escape from my mind. It's kinda like cutting for me.

Anyways, my therapist claims this is normal among people who are depressed. Has anyone experienced this inability to read? Have you over come it? If so, how?

Last edited by Elmrin; April 22nd 2016 at 05:04 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Online
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: I Can't Read - April 22nd 2016, 04:11 AM

I have had this happen. In fact, I had it happen all year last year. I only read something like six books last year. I have overcome this but it took some effort and I just slowly worked in to reading more. I lost focus for a while and when I am anxious I still struggle with focus but all in all it has gotten better.

So far, I have read something like 13-14 books. That's a lot given that I only read six last year.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
IH8U2 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: I Can't Read - April 22nd 2016, 05:52 AM

I haven't read an entire book in like 10 years, sad to say. It's why I got kicked out of school and have no work. I'm uneducated because of my depression. Don't become like me.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: I Can't Read - April 22nd 2016, 09:58 AM

Yes. And it was terrible timing because I was in my last year of university studying for a degree in English...so lots of reading. But something in me snapped because I was going through a lot, and I just couldn't read. Trying to understand one sentence was hard. I had to keep re-reading entire pages because none of it was sinking in. I could read an entire book like this and not have a clue what it was actually about.

I got through it by making notes every so often, so that I could try to understand it. But it mostly lifted when I felt better in myself and was looking after myself more.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Green Yoshi Offline
The screwdriverneedsgas!
I've been here a while

Name: carwithnogas

Re: I Can't Read - April 22nd 2016, 06:22 PM

I've , and it's because I was having too many issues on my mind. But once I calmed myself down and learnt to relax, I found that I was able to read and not overthink things, and just absorb and enjoy material.

If you relax and calm yourself down, you'll find that you're in the right frame of mind, and your mind will be in the right mood to absorb and learn.

It's called a tunnel because there's ALWAYS a light at the end.

rant to me if there's anything!

http://www.teenhelp.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=27464

screwdriverneedsgas

As usual... pm me if you are ever having a tough day, and I'll respond immediately.

You guys deserve to be happy no matter what.. okay? You people are a bunch of lovelies ... and no matter what, you people deserve to be happy.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Samuel Offline
Sam
Not a n00b

Name: Sam

Re: I Can't Read - April 22nd 2016, 09:27 PM

@Green Yoshi I've had the same thing. After some testing and stuff it was decided that some medications might help. And as much as I don't like taking meds, it a small dose does help me pay more attention to what I'm reading and doing. My grades got better also

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Elmrin Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Bluebird

Re: I Can't Read - April 23rd 2016, 02:07 AM

Thanks for replying everyone! I'm sorry to hear you guys have experienced the same problem.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Green Yoshi Offline
The screwdriverneedsgas!
I've been here a while

Name: carwithnogas

Re: I Can't Read - April 23rd 2016, 06:35 PM

Sam , I think its something everyone experiences at times. But the most important thing to do is to just remain calm, keep fighting and also nurture a confidence that won't waver. Everyone overcomes it in their own way... but as long as you improve and stay safe, it's all good.

You're welcome Elmrin Just keep calm, and don't have too many thoughts on your mind and things will start working out.

It's called a tunnel because there's ALWAYS a light at the end.

rant to me if there's anything!

http://www.teenhelp.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=27464

screwdriverneedsgas

As usual... pm me if you are ever having a tough day, and I'll respond immediately.

You guys deserve to be happy no matter what.. okay? You people are a bunch of lovelies ... and no matter what, you people deserve to be happy.

Closed Thread