TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
"Now don't lose your fight kid
Not a n00b

Name: Destiny/Alex(ander)

Questions About Antidepressants? - August 31st 2016, 04:10 AM

So I'm most likely about to start antidepressants and, to be honest, I don't know much about them. So I was wondering about how they affect you and possible side effects. Anything you think I should know about them?

Keep holding on. xXrawrXx
  Send a message via Yahoo to beautiful_mystery Send a message via Skype™ to beautiful_mystery 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Questions About Antidepressants? - August 31st 2016, 04:47 AM

Do you know what antidepressant you will be prescribed yet? Because the side effects will really depend on the antidepressant you would be taking and also just on your own body chemistry. All antidepressants are supposed to help relieve the depression, but sometimes people can have an adverse reaction and become more suicidal. There's always that chance, so that's nothing to worry too much about since your psychiatrist would only prescribe you an antidepressant if they thought the pros outweighed the cons. Trying medications for mental illness is mostly trial and error, but the majority of people find something that works for them by working with their doctor.

There are also side effects specific to each medication. Some cause drowsiness, some might make you nauseous, and some might give you a headache. Dry mouth can be common. So can constipation or diarrhea. There's other less common ones, but I think those are the most. Some may have dietary restrictions, such as not being able to eat grapefruit. Some also make you more sensitive to the sun.

I'm proud of you for taking the steps to start medication if you realize you need it. It can be very helpful or even life changing when the correct medication is found for someone. I mostly want you to know to not go in thinking you will only be on this first medication they doctor prescribes. It might work well for you, but sometimes you will need to try a second or third antidepressant before you start taking one that really works. There's nothing wrong with that, but I know it is frustrating finding the right medication.

Ultimately ask your doctor and pharmacist where you get your medication filled about any side effects. They will know the most on the subject.

Keep your head up, be honest with your doctor during this process, and don't get discouraged.

Best,
Oliver.

“There is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.” — Nikita Gill

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Questions About Antidepressants? - August 31st 2016, 04:59 AM

Oliver has already covered most of what I had to say, there were just a few things I wanted to add. You'll likely have side effects when you start any anti-depressant, but this does not mean you'll have those side effects the entire time you're on the medication. There's a lot of side effects that go away the longer you stick with a medication, and they usually say you won't see the benefits for a few weeks. And, side effects someone may have with one medication may be things you never experience with the same drug. Sometimes you require a combination of different things, and that's okay too. And never feel bad about asking the doctor too many questions about whatever medication you discuss!

Also, I know a lot of people say they feel numb while taking them but I found for me it was more that I felt "okay" and content more often. They won't necessarily make you happy but they can definitely make you on the positive spectrum of emotion more often.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Re: Questions About Antidepressants? - August 31st 2016, 04:59 AM

Thanks Oliver. Having support means a lot to me.

And I believe he was thinking about Zoloft...

Send a message via Yahoo to beautiful_mystery Send a message via Skype™ to beautiful_mystery 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Re: Questions About Antidepressants? - August 31st 2016, 05:07 AM

Thank you. I'll have to work on being brave enough to ask questions.

Also, I'm a 115/115 in depression within my personality, so... It's getting even worse. I'm willing to try anything...

(#6 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Questions About Antidepressants? - August 31st 2016, 08:04 PM

Something I also find helpful when I go to see my psychiatrist is to write a list of questions I have and give that list to the doctor. That way I don't forget or back out from asking any important questions. I'd recommend doing that since it can be really helpful. All you have to do is silently hand the list over and they can start the discussion. I find I talk more when prompted, so them having the list to ask me helps.

Best of luck when you see your doctor! Remember, there's no such thing as a 'stupid' question since it's important to be clear on things.

“There is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.” — Nikita Gill

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Special Agent Offline
Live Help Mentor

Junior TeenHelper

Name: Junior

Re: Questions About Antidepressants? - September 1st 2016, 05:20 AM

Well it is different for everyone... But, for me it actually made me worse..... It brought me to the point of attempting suicide and I had to be hospitalized... The doctor said that it is a common side effect for kids my age (I was 14 at the time). The doctor put me on Celexa.

I hope this helped some..... Take Care.

-Jr.

"your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start."

-Nido Qubein

Live Help Mentor | HelpLINK Mentor | Forum Moderator

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Re: Questions About Antidepressants? - September 1st 2016, 05:07 PM

:3 Thanks, you guys! I really hoping it doesn't make me worse... :/
Making a listof questions actually sounds like a really good idea.

I'm kinda worried about them making me worse or numb...

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Questions About Antidepressants? - September 2nd 2016, 09:48 PM

Hey there

Thanks for coming to us for some help and advice!

I used to be on Zoloft (also known as Sertraline). I'll tell you what I know about it. It is an anti-depressant which belongs to a group of certain drugs called SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) or so I remember. I was on it for Depression and Anxiety so I know it helps with them but I think my doctor mentioned it might help with OCD tendencies as well. Though not 100% sure about that. Most anti-depresents are known to have a side affect where they can cause suicidal thoughs at the beginning so maybe it would be worth keeping a diary track of how you feel each day and recording any new possible side affects to make sure they eventually go away because they should not last. However I would advise you to speak to the person prescribing them to you IF they make you have thoughts of harming yourself or killing yourself which you feel you can not control.

So your the person prescribing you the medicatin will decide what dose you take and when to take it and it's important you keep up with that to ensure the medication has the opportunity to work to its best. It can actually take at least four weeks, sometimes up to twelve before you feel any benefit from an anti-depresent. And like all medications there will be side affects. When I took this I mostly struggled with physically being sick, fainting and stomach pain but medication affects everyone differently. You may have no side affects, you may have a few, you may have a lot, If they become bad, talk to your doctor about them. Your doctor should also check to see what other medication you're on to ensure that it won't have any interactions with other medications.

I have personally fond two other anti-depressants which I am now on helpful but this did help me a little bit at the time. But I know people who have found it very helpful and others who have not. Like I said it works for different people in different ways.

I really hope this medication helps you. But remember if you are struggling and need/want to talk to us then we are always here for you and are always willing to help you in what ever way we possibly can do so never be alone, okay?

Wishing you all the best,
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread