TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
I'm a fucking spaz
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: 3mily

Question Diagnosed and put on meds?! - October 20th 2016, 02:15 PM

I know I just posted a thread here a few days ago, and I wanted to thank everyone who responded. You guys are awesome. I took your advise to call my councillor,but things didn't blow over so well with the family. My mom has stoped talking to me and my dad is VERY aggressive toward me. He took me into a doctors appointment yesterday and yelled at my doctor that he hates me and the way I behave and wants me on meds. The doctor was mad at his behaviour, and explained that I do have depression, I wasn't behaving like this just cause. She told me to call the help line if things got worse with him and gave me instructions for my meds. I start today. I'm nervous.what if they aren't the miracle pill my dad wants? What if they don't help?

Any advise would be appreciated.

"Those who aim to avoid their fate, often meet it on the road to escape."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Diagnosed and put on meds?! - October 20th 2016, 02:21 PM

More than likely, it will not be a miracle pill. It's also fairly likely you'll experience unpleasant side effects, at least for a while. The most important thing with finding meds for any condition, not just depression, is to not give up. There are many options, and many combinations and doses. It's all about finding what is right for you. Do not give up if this first one isn't perfect. Also keep in mind that many drugs will take a while to actually notice a difference.

As for your dad, I'm sorry he reacted that way but I'm glad your doctor knows what's going on.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Diagnosed and put on meds?! - October 20th 2016, 04:09 PM

I am so, so sorry that your dad reacted like that. That's super unfair and unreasonable. I'm glad your doctor stood up for you and was being a good patient advocate and made sure you got your meds and stuff. I hope he'll come around.

Usually meds aren't a miracle pill, but when they're working right, they can take off the edge enough that you're able to think more clearly and tackle the underlying issues.

I hope everything will improve.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Tabitha04 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Tabitha

Re: Diagnosed and put on meds?! - October 21st 2016, 02:02 AM

It is truly sad how differently people treat physical vs. mental illness. There really isn't any reason to treat them any differently. I'm so sorry you got this kind of reaction. Sometimes people react this way due to a lack of education or due to stigma. Still, it is no excuse. Medication will not be a cure on its own. I recommend both therapy + medication to have the best outcome. Please, please report this if your dad's behavior continues. You deserve a healthy environment to get better.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Diagnosed and put on meds?! - October 21st 2016, 05:47 PM

Hello!

Firstly, I'm glad you're posting here and are getting some help and support. I do want to say that I am sorry about how your dad is around the situation. That must be really hard to have on top of feeling depressed and low etc.

I am on a lot of medication. About 25 tablets a day, some for physical health and then a lot for my mental health. In all honestly, everything works differently for everyone. If you told me you were on the same one as I am, I wouldn't tell you it is brilliant, amazing and it's going to help you loads just because it helps me a lot. Because it might not help you at all. My advice would be give it at least sixish weeks to get in to your system (they can typically take 4-12 weeks though) and if you feel no affect see your doctor again. They might ask you to continue for a few more weeks, the might up the dose or change the medication completely. I have been on so many to find the right ones, especially anti-depressants. I found an anti-psychotic that worked for me a lot quicker. Just give it time but be aware that if it is something like an anti-depressant, they can give you side affects (physical) but also ones that might affect how you feel and even cause suicidal thoughts etc. If you get really low on it, and you feel unsafe, reach out for help. Your doctor may want you to push through the side affects but you can have support in place too, to help you through it from people like us, helplines, your doctor themselves, crisis teams, etc. Don't be alone.

Also it is not going to make everything better and make it all go away. It might help balance your mood etc out which will be great because thats a good start but maybe it would be worth looking into therapy or counselling etc? This can be really effective as well.

I hope they help though so fingers crossed and if you ever want to talk about anything, we're always happy to help!

Hope and wishes,
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread