TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SSJ4 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 4,049, Level: 9 Points: 4,049, Level: 9 Points: 4,049, Level: 9

What is considered to be socially acceptable age range dating for teens? - December 5th 2016, 04:45 AM

I was wondering this as I heard for example,someone say most people would think 17 and 19 dating is creepy, but I am not too sure, so I was wondering, what is acceptable dating?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 3,839, Level: 9 Points: 3,839, Level: 9 Points: 3,839, Level: 9

Re: What is considered to be socially acceptable age range dating for teens? - December 5th 2016, 05:01 AM

Age doesn't really matter when you love someone, but in some cases the acceptable age range for teen dating maybe be 2-4 years apart. Now I'm just saying this for teens, because ad u grow up the number of years apart can increase up to for example 7 years apart. Hope my reply helped
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
SirJordan Offline
Twitter: @sirjordanhardy
Average Joe

Name: Jordan

Points: 5,285, Level: 10 Points: 5,285, Level: 10 Points: 5,285, Level: 10

Re: What is considered to be socially acceptable age range dating for teens? - December 5th 2016, 01:02 PM

I'd say around 2 years difference for younger teens. The older you get the more acceptable it is to date people a lot older than you

"Carefree, wherever we may be. We are the famous CFC" - Chelsea Football Club
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
NeuroBeautiful Offline
Please call that story back.
I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Points: 29,446, Level: 24 Points: 29,446, Level: 24 Points: 29,446, Level: 24

Re: What is considered to be socially acceptable age range dating for teens? - December 5th 2016, 09:58 PM

So I was writing a long post about the legal age of consent for sex and realized that dating won't necessarily include sexual behaviors. So in that sense I don't think there is any specific legal terms. Which means assuming both teens are interested and consent to a relatiinship, that if one or both people in the relationship are growing up in a home with restrictions on dating then I would say parents and older family members have a lot of input on what ends up being perceived as socially acceptable. Whether the teens agree or disagree with the older generation, the older folks set the standards and of course there are those that break the rules. Which is all to say, it most likely varies where you live. 14 and 18 year olds dating here as odd. But 13-15 dating is seen as okay. Probably rule of thumb iis up to 3 years apart for teens dating teens.

Other than socially, there's practical and cultural factors. Like some people don't want to date a 17 year old if they're only 15 because that means the 17 year old will go off to college and things get murky.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Re: What is considered to be socially acceptable age range dating for teens? - December 6th 2016, 01:31 AM

I don't think there's a clear-cut answer for this. Personally, I would say two years is an acceptable age range in the teen years. An individual changes a great deal between the time they become a teenager and the time they enter their twenties, so if there's more than two years' difference some of those changes can cause a significant rift in relationships. I'm not saying that's how it is for everybody, but I've seen it happen a couple of times.

Now, if sexuality is involved, then you enter matters of consent. I'm from the United States, and in the US an individual is considered a legal adult at the age of eighteen. Different states have different laws for the age of consent so it varies, sometimes in general and sometimes based on whether the relationship was preexisting when one of the individuals turned eighteen. However, that's a whole other topic.
Closed Thread