TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
into creation x Offline
Not a n00b

Unhappy Haven't showered for over 72 hours... - March 5th 2017, 11:56 PM

I have spent the entire weekend in bed napping or playing games on my phone or watching rubbish online. I told myself I would get some coursework done and prep for some interviews but I've just been feeling so low again and avoid stuff. Everyone keeps saying how well I seem to be coping this year. Yeah I'm doing better but no one knows that I go days without showering and days doing nothing. I've done some online depression tests and yes it's definitely back. I have so much work to do and now the interviews I don't think my mind can handle all this at the same time. It's so hard because I just want a job offer but I feel like this may jeopardise how well I cope with these coursework deadlines as there's too many to think about and my mind can't settle on one for long. It's just a few more weeks again and then the change of moving back home for a month before moving back to uni for my final stint. It's just getting stressful and all my motivation is going out the window and I just don't know why I always get depressed over it and feel this way. I try to convince myself to use this stress of approaching deadlines to get me started each day but it's just hard as I think I must tell myself I can't cope right now and put it off, I have time. Except we're already a week into March now and I can't even motivate myself to shower.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Haven't showered for over 72 hours... - March 6th 2017, 02:16 AM

Hi there,

It's always tough dealing with depression when you have so much to do. I've been through that way too much. I find that when I'm working my moods completely rise up. I'm usually not sad while I'm at work. So, maybe you can use that as motivation to get out of bed. There's a chance that the same thing might happen that you might start feeling better once you have one.

Take your time doing your course work. Do little bits at a time instead of trying to finish everything in one night. Also try breaking up the school work with exercise. When you exercise it helps release hormones that make you feel a lot happier. So maybe go for walks in between study sessions.

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#3 (permalink)) Old
danh19 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: daniel

Re: Haven't showered for over 72 hours... - March 6th 2017, 06:07 AM

that is the main issue stress is going to effect your depression

(#4 (permalink)) Old
into creation x Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Haven't showered for over 72 hours... - March 6th 2017, 09:59 PM

I can't avoid stress for at least 3 more months as that's when I finish my degree. I think the next 4 to 6 weeks are going to be the most stressful of them though just with not feeling settled and moving back to my parents again and I had 2 more job interview offers today so currently have 4 over the next few weeks. And they're all in different counties. I just hate not being in one place. I do wonder if I will miss this lifestyle when I am finally in a settled job though...

I know I totally agree that I feel better once I have gotten out of bed and gotten dressed and started being productive. I've known this for years but I still have periods where I can't motivate myself to get up.

I also totally agree with the exercise thing, I had been slowly progressing with running and only recently I got my run time down which I was super happy with and generally I like being at the gym too. Unfortunately I've had knee issues though and now injured it too and doctors orders are not to do any running, not even cross trainer or rowing. If I walk long distance my knee plays up and I end up hobbling and doing more damage. I've even literally just done some exercises for it and now it's hurting again, I'll be seeing a doctor again in a couple weeks if there's no improvement. This is really hard for me though not being able to exercise as that's one of the things that really helps me keep well mentally

(#5 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Haven't showered for over 72 hours... - March 7th 2017, 07:48 AM

Are you getting adequate human interactions with other people? The emotional brain wants to feel it's a part of a tribe. It wants to be in a group once in a while. It may be preventing you from studying because it's not happy feeling studying alone is just more alone time it doesn't want. Can you study in a group?

Colleges often have counseling and wellness places because this is so common a problem among students, and they want their students to do well (they realize it looks bad if a lot of their students perform poorly, for whatever reason, and stress and depression are major problems, so they try hard to make available things that help, like things that help the emotional midbrain feel like it's a part of a tribe, so it's happy and satisfied, so the student can work on more abstract things like academics, which the midbrain will allow once it's satisfied it's a part of a tribe, which makes it feel safe.

Maybe there's a walking group you could join. Exercise doesn't need to be strenuous. A nice walk with a small group of people may satisfy the midbrain that everything is fine and it will then allow you to do those other things.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
into creation x Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Haven't showered for over 72 hours... - March 13th 2017, 12:51 AM

No I'm not, but I also gave up on people in general a long time ago.
I could study with others, but I don't want to.

I've seen a mental health adviser at uni on and off but not for months now and I just cannot be bothered to.

Yes I'm sure there are walking groups, I've joined groups like this before but living in 2 areas of the country everything gets 'bitty'. I'm just making excuses.

I have 2 weeks of interviews as well as coursework right now, then a following 4 weeks of just finishing all my coursework. These 6 weeks now are going to be the hardest and the interviews I just don't think I can handle.................

I've just spent this entire weekend also doing absolutely nothing and again haven't showered in 72 hours. I wrote a to do list today but could only manage the small easy stuff and haven't even done them all. I couldn't face anything coursework or interview prep related. I've been picking my forehead all weekend so it all looks a mess now. I don't feel particularly anxious, just completely flat and close to nothing. Although saying that now my stomach has just started so I don't know if that's anxiety or hunger. I don't know if I can motivate myself to shower now it's getting close to 1am. I don't know if I can be bothered to get up tomorrow. I don't think I can. I'm too tired. I don't think I'll set my alarm and I don't think I'm going to shower before I sleep. I actually don't want to wake up.

Closed Thread