TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SammyTV Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Question I want to go to a hospital... - June 22nd 2017, 10:31 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of suicide, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread therefore might not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

So my parents are quite aware that i'm suicidal and depressed. I had to go to the ER, the police brought me there anyways. I had a check in with a social worker at the hospital and we talked for 45 minutes. I lied about a few things because i didnt want my dad to know but now i regret it. I see her again July 5th and thats when im thinking i should say something. But im not sure how to say. (I lied about not searching up on google how to kill myself). I also kinda want to be hospitalized because idk whats wrong with me. One moment im happy the next i just wanna kill myself for no reason that i can think of. Someone help me.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Wonderlust Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Sunny

Re: I want to go to a hospital... - June 23rd 2017, 12:22 AM

This is definetly depression. Is would say that you shouldn't lie to the worker, the more honest your response, the more accurate the answer. I can understand why you want to be hospitalized. It can be a place to find help, but it may not work the best for you. You should discuss this with her and be completely honest so you can get the right treatment. PM me if you need to talk ❤️

Life's a tough b**ch, but you are tougher. Go show it who's boss. <lots of love and hugs>

(#3 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: I want to go to a hospital... - June 25th 2017, 06:58 AM

Did the social worker you talked with make it clear she would keep everything confidential from your parents? It would certainly help you be honest with her if she would clarify that with you. You may ask her about that. Or ask her if she can keep something specific that you want to tell her confidential.

Basically it sounds like they already know you have a mental illness depression problem, which is a medical problem that can be treated with medication. (I know that second part sounds weird. It's only because I've experienced it myself enough times personally that I can say that with ease. I take my medication, the world slowly over weeks and months becomes a nicer place to live. I don't take my medication, the world slowly over weeks and months becomes a horrible place I don't want to live in anymore, plus I feel sick and really depressed. I definitely prefer the former, where I feel well, and the world is a nice place to live, so I take my medication.)

So they already know, and hopefully they've already started you on an antidepressant medication. The first medication may not work. Actually the first several medications they try may not work. Just keep trying different ones, because eventually you'll find one that works wonders and you'll feel well again and life will be great.

From there the only question is how to keep you safe while you try various different medications searching for the one that will work for you. It would be tragic if you die before the medication has a chance to start working. That's pretty much the only reason they have hospital psych wards. They are safe places to keep people safe while doctors try their best to quickly find something that will get you out of the depression enough so you'll be safe enough to at least not be in the hospital anymore. Then they switch you to outpatient treatment, where they continue to fiddle with medications, searching for a magic combination of meds that will work for you so you can be well and happy again. If you get really bad they can move you back to the hospital again, but in general they don't like to do that because the hospital costs a lot of money, so they like to keep patients there as little as possible, but they definitely want to keep patients there if they really need it. In a sense quite a lot of it is up to you if you want to go or not. The desire to be well will always be there. You tell your parents what you need to feel safe and well enough to hang in there while the doctor works on finding a medication that works for you.

Also other things may help too. Being with people, doing fun things, basically you figure out what helps you, and you tell them what helps you, and they'll make it happen for you.

Best wishes, and I hope you feel better soon!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: I want to go to a hospital... - June 25th 2017, 11:04 AM

Welcome to Teenhelo and thank you for reaching out
Do you think you can keep yourself till July 5th? That's about 10 days from now and was about 2 weeks from the day you wrote this. For someone suicidal, it can be hard keeping safe this long but if you can do it, that's great. If not, I'd say to keep in touch with hotlines, chat lines, textlines (If you don't know of any and are interested, Teen help has a link here) and the like when you feel you may need some support.

Now on July 5th, if your parents come with you, you are allowed to make it clear you want it to be confidential. If you're under 16 it may not be automatic but you still have the right to voice your needs and tell the social worker that you have more to say but want it private.

On July 5th, the social worker might ask you a bunch of questions. It may help to be writing things down up until that day. That way you have it on paper what'd been happening. It can be any time you have urges to end u our life of any time you have urges to look up information on methods to ending your life. If can be thoughts, feelings, moods. It can be things you'd like to tell the social worker such as if you've been bullied or abused or have other trauma or anything that had happened that you feel relates to your mental health.

Remember that, this is YOUR life and YOUR recovery. The mental health team is there for you. There's this idea of "being in the driver's seat" and that means that you are the expert of yourself and professionals are there to support you but ultimately the decisions are yours and the goals you have for the future are yours.

The psychiatric ward where I live is for stabilization and not meant to be long term. There are outpatient "day treatment" programs which is like being in a ward but you get to go home at the end of the day and it isn't as hospital-y. Where I live, the hospital psychiatric unit is the last resort. So you have options. For instance theres respite care which ishould 2 weeks in a supportive envitonment for people in crisis and is an alternative to hospitals.

I hope that the social worker hears you out. If you walk out feeling unheard, you are allowed to try another social worker. You can also try the hotlines as they do end up making direct calls to the emergency number (911 where I live) if that's what's needed.

Take care and I hope you get the care you need when you meet with the social worker again.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: I want to go to a hospital... - June 25th 2017, 07:40 PM

Hey!

Thanks for coming to us here

I am sorry you've been feeling this way. It's great you've come here for some help and recognise that things aren't okay though. That's such a good step in the right direction!

Lying to professionals is something that a lot of people unfortunately do. Sometimes we find it easier to lie, sometimes it results in less consequences, sometimes it's because we're lying to ourselves and sometimes we just don't feel we need help or want it so it seems there is no point in telling them truth. It's not uncommon although I wish it was and as I would with anyone else, I'd always encourage you to tell the truth. You will get the best help and support that it suitable for you this way. However, when we first meet someone such as a professional, it's very uncommon we tell them everything straight away. It takes time ti build a trusting relationship up with someone and that's okay too!

Have you had any treatment for your mental health in the past or currently having any? I know in England, it's used as a very last resort. Medication, working with a CPN and psychiatrist, therapy, day programmes, the recovery college, counselling etc are all a first point of call normally unless someone is deemed very high risk (often resulting in a person being detained under the mental heatlh act). I've been in services for about ten years now. I have also been inpatient 16 times and detained most of them times because I never recognise how unwell I was at the time and refused help but my actions showed to others how high risk I was. Hospital isn't the best option for many because it is meant to be a short stay to help someone get back up from their darkest place which is why it's often a last resort. If you haven't tried any thing else such as medication and therapy it might be helpful to do so and ask the social worker to refer you to someone who can help you unless you are engaging in life threatening behaviours, which is when someone being hospitalised is often put in to place. You could even look up support groups in your area to. They can be SO helpful!

Just remember to try and be honest but don't blame yourself if you don't mention everything. Like I said, trusting relationships take to be built. And remember we're always here too if you ever need anything at all!

Hope and wishes,
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread