TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Skie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,005, Level: 10 Points: 5,005, Level: 10 Points: 5,005, Level: 10

Medication question(Want your experiences too :) - July 30th 2017, 07:51 AM

Anyone here have any experiences with antidepressants? I think my doctor is going to try to get me to try them when I go Thursday but I read a study or two that they don't help and are just placebo effect pretty much.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,886, Level: 26 Points: 33,886, Level: 26 Points: 33,886, Level: 26

Re: Medication question(Want your experiences too :) - July 30th 2017, 08:12 AM

Hey there, I started my first ever anti-depressant about 3 weeks ago and I've noticed a huge difference. Other than some expected and relatively mild side effects (which lasted about a week), I feel better than I have in years. I was EXTREMELY hesitant to go on something for it, partly because I wanted to try therapy first and because I'm on several other medications for other things and was worried about side effects. They started me on half a dose for the first week since I'd never been on one before and then a full dose after that. Even if they don't work for you it's worth trying them and if they don't work, you can always come off of them. Everyone is different, but I seriously wish I had tried them years ago.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Skie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,005, Level: 10 Points: 5,005, Level: 10 Points: 5,005, Level: 10

Re: Medication question(Want your experiences too :) - July 30th 2017, 08:14 AM

Could it just be a placebo effect in most people or? That's my fear as money for somertjing that works no better than a placebo is risky
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,886, Level: 26 Points: 33,886, Level: 26 Points: 33,886, Level: 26

Re: Medication question(Want your experiences too :) - July 30th 2017, 08:27 AM

I doubt it. It hasn't been perfect, but it's such a big difference that I know that for me it's not a placebo effect. Supposedly you don't feel a difference right away, but some people do. So, I wasn't expecting to feel any different, but was better within days. I didn't convince myself of that. There are plenty of studies that prove that they work otherwise they wouldn't exist because if it was all placebo effect that would meant that they don't work and the FDA wouldn't have approved them.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Medication question(Want your experiences too :) - July 30th 2017, 08:47 PM

If you look hard enough you will be able to find studies that uphold pretty much any belief. So, the studies about the placebo effect might have some accuracy but I also believe that the studies that say that medication has helped people have accuracy as well.

I haven't found medication that really truly works for my depression but I am pretty certain that I am pretty much resistant to medication. I know numerous people who have tried everything in regards to getting better and only medication can help.

If you are uncertain about the medication working you could also talk to the prescribing doctor about the studies you have found. There are a lot of doctors that would love to talk to their patients about that kind of stuff. I know if I brought it up to my doctor he would discuss it with me and tell me the accuracy of the studies etc.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Points: 5,755, Level: 11 Points: 5,755, Level: 11 Points: 5,755, Level: 11

Re: Medication question(Want your experiences too :) - August 2nd 2017, 06:59 AM

My personal experience is, a lot of them don't work, but when you find the one that does work, it's definitely the medication, and not a placebo effect. It's also a game changer, like I finally found something that works better than I ever hoped for, and I'm fine now.

But I did have to try a lot of antidepressant medications before finding the one that worked for me.

And there's unfortunately no way of knowing which antidepressant medication will help any particular individual. Every antidepressant works for some people.

My personal guess is the apparent 'placebo' effect is because for any particular person, many antidepressant medications won't work for them, so the best you get is a placebo effect.

But when I did find the one that did work for me, it was definitely the medication. Every time I stopped it, I slowly felt worse and worse. Every time I restarted it, I slowly started feeling better. Now I just take it. and I never think about it, because I'm fine. The only time I do think about it is when I don't take it, because then I slowly become not fine.

Now I'm all gung-ho positive about antidepressant medication because one of them saved my life.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,204, Level: 59 Points: 172,204, Level: 59 Points: 172,204, Level: 59

Re: Medication question(Want your experiences too :) - August 2nd 2017, 09:25 PM

Antidepressants can be great once you find the one that works the best for you. Remember that not all of them work for everyone.

I know that my personal experience with antidepressants was that the first one worked for a little while and then stopped working as well as it did and so she switched me to the one I am currently on and it is the best thing that has ever happened. I know it's the medication doing it, but I also had therapy alongside it for a good portion of the time, so I think having a combination of therapy and the medication was important for me because it helped me to learn ways to cope without relying on the medication. Even on the medication people can still have bad days, so it's important to still have ways to cope. However, therapy alone wasn't working for me so the medication gave me that extra boost.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
Closed Thread