TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Adele101 Offline
Average Joe

How to cope - August 26th 2017, 12:46 AM

Hello, I'm sorry I keep posting here but really I only have you guys to ask about stuff. I really can't deal with anything anymore, I just feel so stressed and sad all the time I don't know how to deal with it. I feel like my depression is getting more and more severe. I can't get lost into hobbies or something because I don't have time for it because of school and university and my parents etc.. please help
I don't know what to do anymore.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Wonderlust Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Sunny

Re: How to cope - August 26th 2017, 09:33 PM

You should definitely consult a doctor and get a therapist and anti depressants. Also Pm me whenever, I can try to help. Love you lots!!!!

Life's a tough b**ch, but you are tougher. Go show it who's boss. <lots of love and hugs>

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Adele101 Offline
Average Joe

Re: How to cope - August 27th 2017, 12:03 AM

I know I need professional help but I really can't. I'm not comfortable telling anyone about this. I literally only speak about my problems over here, I'm very scared of this getting out of control. Thanks for everything though ❤️❤️

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Concinnity Offline
Go gold.
Not a n00b

Name: Hailey

Re: How to cope - August 27th 2017, 05:56 PM

Have you thought about speaking with someone on a hotline? There are even some where you can text a counselor, instead of speaking with them over the phone, and that might be more comfortable for you! I just googled "text hotlines" and a whole bunch came up.

Also, because you're 18, keep in mind that you may be able to see a doctor or therapist without your parents/guardians knowing, if that's part of what worries you. Or they may just know that you've been to the doctor, but they don't have to know why; you could just make up some other reason for why you went. And if you're in college or going to go to college, it's often very easy to access free or very cheap counseling on campus! I was able to go to therapy for 3 or 4 months this past year at absolutely no cost to me, and my parents had absolutely no way of knowing about it, which was very liberating.

I hope that you're able to find some relief from this soon. Hang in there - although it may not feel like it at all, things could take a turn for the better at any time. Best of luck to you.

"Chase your stars, fool. Life is short."

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Adele101 Offline
Average Joe

Re: How to cope - August 27th 2017, 11:03 PM

Thank you very much. I didn't know about text hotlines. I'll definitely check it out, thank you so much for your help, it really means alot.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Wonderlust Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Sunny

Re: How to cope - August 28th 2017, 02:13 AM

There is an international text hotline. Text "Life" to 612-22

Life's a tough b**ch, but you are tougher. Go show it who's boss. <lots of love and hugs>

(#7 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: How to cope - August 28th 2017, 10:16 AM

Does your university have a counseling center? Often universities have support for students like yourself because it's such a common problem (yes you'd be surprised, you're not the only one!) and they know there are things which can be helpful, so they set up counseling centers, or I'm not sure what they call them, they're not just counseling centers, they're more like, well people who have these problems, or had them in the past and understand them very personally, because we've been there ourselves, and we know what helps, and we want to help others, so we set up these centers, and volunteer, and try to find the students like yourself who need us, because we're here, and we know students get overstressed, and it's very bad, (especially if there's been an incident where a very overstressed student went postal, that kind of thing really gets the attention of the establishment, and they all say, "We need to set up a center for our stressed out students so we can avoid these incidents.")

Or just the Student Health Center. Sometimes you can get free health care there, and they should have someone there who understands these kind of problems, and it's actually common, so you may be able to find someone to go with you, as it's common people are too afraid to go initially, until they realize how everyone understands, once they find the right group of people and health care professionals who do understand and know what is really helpful.

Especially if school is too much. Too much and you may need to ease off a little, take one less class, which I was able to do once I got a note from my doctor. It's so important to balance life.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Adele101 Offline
Average Joe

Re: How to cope - August 28th 2017, 09:22 PM

I'm going to university next year. I'm 17 but accidentally put my date of birth a year earlier, so yeah. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: How to cope - August 29th 2017, 07:59 AM

Well in that case, does your high school...?

(I've noticed there's a problem reaching people under 18. I wanted to start a support group for teens, but discovered their age brings up a whole crap load of legal issues. If I have the support group associated with a school, then the school has to bless it, approve of it, arguments have to be made that this particular group is following some formula that has already been "proven effective", I forget what the wording is, but basically if parents find out about the group it only takes one of them to complain, and parents have .. something I'm not a legal expert.

So basically we wait until students are 18. Then they are free to join any group they like and their parents can't make a legal fuss over it. So basically we wait while the students suffer and get worse until they reach 18, and then we receive damaged students to fix, and I keep thinking it would have been so much easier to fix this if only we could have reached the student earlier. There are some groups and counseling set up for students under 18. It's just a huge hassle and liability.

I'm not a "trained qualified counselor with letters after my name", I'm just a peer, so even though I've been through it all and would like to now help others (step 12 of the 12 steps, though I don't do 12 steps, is "pass it on to others".) It's really hard to reach those younger people. Churches may be a better idea, as they tend to be organized, and sometimes a church can set up a support group for teens, and somehow the church office deals with all the hidden legal liability issues, so we can get on with the healing and helping.)

Anyway, sorry for that soliloquy.

I have seen high schools launch experimental programs that seem to be successful. One high school has it, the other two do not, but since it's working at this one high school, now the other two high schools are looking into the idea.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: How to cope - August 30th 2017, 06:31 PM

I can relate to not wanting to talk about your problems. When I was younger I felt the same way and denied myself help due to that. However, I slowly started realizing that I needed to talk to someone who had professional knowledge and advice. It is great that you feel comfortable talking to us but not too many of us are trained to deal with these things. We have personal knowledge but seeking out a counselor is the best thing you can do because they will be able to evaluate you and determine what the best course of treatment is and they will be able to help find coping skills that will work for you.

It isn't easy to open up to a counselor but in the end it would be a really good idea. It is very likely that your school (if you are in the usa) will have a psychologist who you could talk to.

Best of luck.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Adele101 Offline
Average Joe

Re: How to cope - September 2nd 2017, 08:52 PM

Thank you all for your help, it's very useful.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Markus Offline
Professional Human

Junior TeenHelper

Name: Marcus

Re: How to cope - September 3rd 2017, 08:17 PM

Get enough sleep and rest more. You'll find yourself feeling better afterwards, especially if you are going through a difficult time and all you need is a well deserved rest to "fight your battles"

(#13 (permalink)) Old
CollinsJordan Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jordan Collins

Re: How to cope - September 5th 2017, 01:42 PM

Wow, that is really interesting, thanks a lot)

(#14 (permalink)) Old
DannyGShields Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: How to cope - September 15th 2017, 09:52 AM

Thanks a lot. These advices are really very helpful!

Closed Thread