TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Fanatic Offline
In Christ Alone ♥
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mary

I don't feel functional anymore. - January 30th 2018, 09:05 PM

Hey,
It's been awhile since I've posted on here since a lot of what I post is in the screaming/bad day thread. Anyway, tho if I could, I would like advice on this pressing issue. This has been going on for awhile but I feel like I've completely given up on my own education. I want to be more productive and actually finish my final semester and graduate. But, my depression and anxiety have been getting in the way of everything. I feel no longer motivated with school and I've stopped going to my classes. I've only been to half of my classes in total in the last two weeks and I'm worried that I'll fail if I continue this and stop doing my projects altogether. I promised myself I would be better about this for the last semester but it's been so hard being here at the dorm. I've tried reaching out to my school's counselor, but they keep turning me away from them and recommend me seeing a regular therapist weekly. However, cause of my sucky insurance, I can't afford to go see someone. I feel stuck because of it and I can't move on from this feeling. Not only do I feel like my pain feels unimportant by people around me, I'm stuck in this cycle of not being able to motivate myself and stress. I can't tell you how many times I've even thought of suicide already and have tried to harm myself. But what can you do when you don't know what else to do about this situation? :/

"I'm not a piece of cake for you to just discard
While you walk away with the frosting of my heart
So I'm taking back what's mine, you'll miss
The slice of heaven that I gave to you last night
." - "Cake" by Melanie Martinez

Send a message via Skype™ to Fanatic 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: I don't feel functional anymore. - January 31st 2018, 03:50 AM

Hello,

I am sorry that you are struggling so much. I think it is great that you have reached out to us.

Is there anything that is triggering your feelings such as an event that occurred recently? If so, it might help to address those issues and try and find ways to cope with them. Have you told the school counselors that you cannot find a counselor due to your insurance? They might be able to provide you with low cost options. If they are unable too, maybe you could look into low cost options on your own? I know I have been able to google low cost counseling in my area and I was able to find a few therapists that took patients on a sliding scale. I was able to give their names to a friend too. While low cost therapy can still be expensive I know some people who have been able to work out a deal with the counselor in order to get sessions at a fair rate.

In regards to school, do you think you could message your teachers and let them know what is going on? Some teachers are really great about working with their students and trying to provide them with support. The other thing you could try and look into is utilizing the disability services. I know different colleges have different rules but I was able to utilize those services and there were semesters where I scraped by because I was able to have someone take notes for me when I missed classes. That definitely wasn't an ideal solution but it was the best one at the time. If you are unable to utilize the disability services, maybe you could ask a classmate to take notes? If you have a friend/acquaintance in the class they might be willing to do that.

I hope that other people are able to come along and provide better ideas. I struggled a lot with school due to my mental illness and not being functional. I was never really able to find a solution but I know there are people here who struggled and were able to get through school in ways I was never able too.

Best regards.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Fanatic Offline
In Christ Alone ♥
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mary

Re: I don't feel functional anymore. - February 1st 2018, 08:34 AM

Thank you
Iíll do my best to find better support and I did manage to see a crisis therapist at my school today. Hoping something will come good out of it. I would really like to manage my mental illness better since itís so hard to manage it on my own even though Iíve been trying to do that for years already.

"I'm not a piece of cake for you to just discard
While you walk away with the frosting of my heart
So I'm taking back what's mine, you'll miss
The slice of heaven that I gave to you last night
." - "Cake" by Melanie Martinez

Send a message via Skype™ to Fanatic 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: I don't feel functional anymore. - February 1st 2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanatic View Post
Thank you
Iíll do my best to find better support and I did manage to see a crisis therapist at my school today. Hoping something will come good out of it. I would really like to manage my mental illness better since itís so hard to manage it on my own even though Iíve been trying to do that for years already.
Hey there,

I hope that reaching out will end up helping to some degree. I struggle with asking for help, too. I do know that it does help to have support and even though you have been doing it alone for so long doesn't mean that you need to continue. It can be hard to ask for help but I think that there are a ton of people who will love to help if given the chance.

Also, please know that if you ever need to talk you can message me as well. I know having offline support is important but it doesn't help to have online support too.

Best regards.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread