TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Loneliness If you're feeling lonely, isolated or down and need support and encouragement, this is a forum for you.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
NovoK9 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ebony

Points: 4,228, Level: 9 Points: 4,228, Level: 9 Points: 4,228, Level: 9

Lonely - March 29th 2018, 12:18 AM

I've been really lonely lately. I have a few close friends, but I still feel really alone. I get this aching feeling in my chest whenever i'm doing something by myself (which is almost always). Its not their fault, they make plans with me occasionally and I go to them, but I can't shake this lonely feeling. I feel really upset and I don't know why. Sometimes I think its because all my other friends either are currently ignoring me or aren't my friend anymore or became my bullies. Maybe I'm worried that i'm going to lose them as quickly as I got them. I don't know. I have been really lonely lately and I have no idea what to do with myself. I sometimes lie down or run to the bathroom and start crying because my chest starts to ache. Any advice is appreciated

Fading away, turning to dust.
With nowhere to go, and no one to trust.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Lonely - March 29th 2018, 02:00 PM

Hey there,

You said sometimes your friends make plans and you attend them; do you think it would help if you tried making some plans with them (if you initiated) ? Maybe you'd feel more in control and less lonely that way.

Worrying about losing your friends must be difficult. It might help to know that some things are out of your control as you can only control yourself and not other people, and that worrying too far in the future about losing these friends may be doing more harm than good. Try to focus more in the present than in the future and see if that helps.

When you get that achy feeling when you're doing things alone, maybe you can try some self-care. You could take a warm bath, read a book, take a walk, or do anything that brings you comfort or safety. It's important to utilize self-care; maybe you can try dedicating a little time each day to doing it?

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Mirabelle Offline
Owl Whisperer
Average Joe

Name: Mirabelle

Points: 4,257, Level: 9 Points: 4,257, Level: 9 Points: 4,257, Level: 9

Re: Lonely - March 30th 2018, 07:07 PM

Hey, you are not alone in your feelings. I am in exactly the same situation, but the cause of this is being a musician. So many people think they'd like to be friends and when I let them in eventually they become highly critical and become toxic. This is why I lead a predominantly lonely life.

Except what cynefin has shared is very good, and in a practical way we can look after ourselves, and in doing this we begin grabbing back some power to help us through our daily lives. I purposefully try not to look back at what was past, but stay in the present and remain close to my family of which I have a special sister who needs looking after. Devoting my time and energy to my church friends, all of them about my guardian's age helps to get me out of myself. And I love this self-care that cynefin talks about - it really does work.

You are always welcome to visit me. I like the anonymity here so that we can make good online friends, and this is a start. Also, try and do some self-care every day like I have begun since finishing a european tour with my band. Time to catch up in talking care of myself - and you, too.

Wishing you all the best,

~Belle
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
NovoK9 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Lonely - April 1st 2018, 03:55 AM

Thank you guys for the responses. I'll try and do some self care more often. I don't do it as often as I should. I just don't have the motivation to do much. Do you guys have any tips on how to get started on self care when I get that achy feeling? Sometimes it feels really disabling and I really try but I just can't find the motivation to do it.

As for the friend part, I'd love to! I'm a little awkward at times but I'll be sure to message you sometime mirabelle. Thank you

Last edited by NovoK9; April 1st 2018 at 03:56 AM. Reason: spelling error
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Mirabelle Offline
Owl Whisperer
Average Joe

Name: Mirabelle

Points: 4,257, Level: 9 Points: 4,257, Level: 9 Points: 4,257, Level: 9

Re: Lonely - April 2nd 2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovoK9 View Post
Thank you guys for the responses. I'll try and do some self care more often. I don't do it as often as I should. I just don't have the motivation to do much. Do you guys have any tips on how to get started on self care when I get that achy feeling? Sometimes it feels really disabling and I really try but I just can't find the motivation to do it.

As for the friend part, I'd love to! I'm a little awkward at times but I'll be sure to message you sometime mirabelle. Thank you
Hey Novok, I was wondering if you would consider volunteering? It could help take away that achy feeling in your chest because if you have spare time on your hands, think about whether you could spend a few hours working with a group of people whose interests you feel are particularly worth fighting for, or some rural activity you would like to become involved in? Sharing with people this way could help relieve that emptiness you feel inside, as I am starting out on something new and finding the course very interesting.

In volunteering you could gain new skills worth acquiring. Or, joining an evening class at beginners' level like I have - will put you on the same footing as everyone else. Getting to know new people can become part of the process of learning something new. I've just started an evening course learning upholstery (as in furniture) and finding it useful because I've inherited not only a country house, but it's chock full of furniture some of which will be needing repair. The evening course is in my village so I haven't far to walk.

There are very many local groups and societies that cater for a wide range of interests and taste such as local interest groups where you may find it easier to relate to others through the medium of a shared interest. Consider what you most enjoy doing, whether it's reading, going for country walks, going to the cinema, playing chess or playing the flute. Or, what about joining a class like I have? Share something new?

Or read a good book? I've had The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett a long time, but I still keep returning to it. Also another which a friend recommended me, Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. It's an enchanting book.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
NovoK9 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Lonely - April 6th 2018, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabelle View Post
Hey Novok, I was wondering if you would consider volunteering? It could help take away that achy feeling in your chest because if you have spare time on your hands, think about whether you could spend a few hours working with a group of people whose interests you feel are particularly worth fighting for, or some rural activity you would like to become involved in? Sharing with people this way could help relieve that emptiness you feel inside, as I am starting out on something new and finding the course very interesting.

In volunteering you could gain new skills worth acquiring. Or, joining an evening class at beginners' level like I have - will put you on the same footing as everyone else. Getting to know new people can become part of the process of learning something new. I've just started an evening course learning upholstery (as in furniture) and finding it useful because I've inherited not only a country house, but it's chock full of furniture some of which will be needing repair. The evening course is in my village so I haven't far to walk.

There are very many local groups and societies that cater for a wide range of interests and taste such as local interest groups where you may find it easier to relate to others through the medium of a shared interest. Consider what you most enjoy doing, whether it's reading, going for country walks, going to the cinema, playing chess or playing the flute. Or, what about joining a class like I have? Share something new?

Or read a good book? I've had The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett a long time, but I still keep returning to it. Also another which a friend recommended me, Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. It's an enchanting book.
I would volunteer, but I have really bad social anxiety. Maybe I could volunteer online though. I would love to read a good book! The secret Garden sounds really good. And I saw Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children in theaters, but the book is always different. Thank you so much for the wonderful suggestions. I'll be sure to try volunteering. I've actually wanted to volunteer for teenhelp for awhile now. Now I have the push that I needed to go through with it.

Closed Thread