TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TH Anonymous Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 34,050, Level: 26 Points: 34,050, Level: 26 Points: 34,050, Level: 26

Question My Internet Friend blocked me and I think it's my fault. - August 29th 2020, 11:35 AM

[SIZE="a"][SIZE="a"]So I have this internet friend whom I talked to for like a month. We met on omegle lol. I was just really bored because my friends were all busy and shit. Damn we had a really great time talking on omegle and then suddenly some of messages wasn't delivered to him. So he asked if we could talk on snap but i didn't really use snap so i gave him my ig.

So that's how we started. Since then, we talked for like 2 to 3 times a week, sometimes 4. We just talk about random things. It was good having an internet friend. I always messaged him first tho and it didn't seem to bother him and he also replies fast although sometimes i reply for like after 1 or 2 minutes. We have um 12 hour difference in our time zone so i sometimes fall asleep file talking to him, but he understands and it doesn't bother him.

And then i stopped talking to him for 6 days. Well i was planning to talk to him after that because in those six days i planned on getting my shit done. So in day 6, i was scrolling on my ig feed and i had to unfollow someone so i went to my following and I noticed that his name wasn't on the list anymore. So i checked if he was still following me and then bam! I found out he blocked me and then unblocked me (that's what u do on ig if you want someone to unfollow you). I immediately messaged him saying "hey" if he was goin to reply or at least accept my message request (because his acc is private) but he just ignored me.

Is it my fault that he blocked me? What really bothers me is that maybe he felt i was ignoring him or ghosted him so he just did what he thinks ia the right thing to do. Should i text him and ask him why he did that? Will i sound annoying or desperate if i message him tho it's been 2 weeks?

Gosh i hope he doesn't see this 🙈[/size]
[/size]
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Re: My Internet Friend blocked me and I think it's my fault. - August 29th 2020, 06:55 PM

I wouldn't assume it was about you. When something like this happens it is easy to think that it might be our fault, but thinking such doesn't serve us well. The fact of the matter is you don't know why he blocked you, but thinking it's your fault is only going to make you upset without getting any real answers.

As for whether you should message him or not, I think that's up to you. Personally I wouldn't, if it were me, because I believe people show you where they're at with their actions and it's apparent he's not into hearing from you right now, but if you want to send him a message saying you miss his friendship and you wanted to make sure he knew you hadn't ghosted him and you're thinking about him I think that's fine. I would suggest, though, keeping it short and sweet and, if he doesn't respond, take that as a sign to move on.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you need anything else.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount59

Edit avatar

Re: My Internet Friend blocked me and I think it's my fault. - August 30th 2020, 01:05 PM

I think it's best to move on and forget about him. It sucks being ghosted and blocked by someone who you thought was a friend; but people deal with things in different ways and this was his way of dealing with whatever it is he might be going through. Remember, it's probably not about you and about him instead.

If you want, you can leave him a brief message, that's entirely neutral in tone, and just let him know you're thinking of him or something like that. Leave it up to him to reply and, if he doesn't, then forget about him and move on. It's not worth the time or energy to dwell on some people, especially internet acquaintances you don't truly have a deep relationship with.

I wish you the best of luck. Feel free to reach out again if you have to.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Mallika Offline
HelpLINK Mentor

Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mallika

Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15

Re: My Internet Friend blocked me and I think it's my fault. - September 1st 2020, 01:41 AM

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out!

I second the above users. The reality is, there's only so much we know about Internet "friends". You haven't met him before, and it is highly possible that his real-life personality could be really different from his online personality. But since you had established a sort of friendship with him, you can drop a short message saying that you didn't intend to ignore him for 6 days, but that you were busy with something.

If he doesn't reply, you can move on. There is no ill consequence to moving on, because it's not like you know him in person and have to meet him on a regular basis. If he does reply, I'd still advise you to practise caution when you interact with him. I'm not saying that he definitely has some malicious intent, but in reality, we can never tell who's on the other side of the screen. There are so many young people who became friends which people who were seemingly their age, but turned out to be scammers or perverts. I'd advise you not to find online friends. If your usual friends are busy, perhaps you might want to make some new friends by joining some new hobby clubs (e.g. sports clubs, book clubs) etc., or even making friends with some new people in your neighbourhood. Otherwise, you can just find an activity that occupies your time productively and keeps you engaged e.g. dancing, working on a blog, scrapbooking, etc. Over the years, I've realised that one of the best things in life is to be comfortable in our own company - there will be times in our life whereby our friends might not always be available for us, so it's important that we learn to enjoy our own independence and not get too reliant on other people to keep us engaged in something.

Take care!
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread