TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives    The Holiday Resource

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

There really is no point in trying anymore - June 8th 2009, 09:29 AM

I missed an A-level exam last week because I was in hospital after trying to kill myself, and I phoned up my college just now to see what's going to happen and basically, I'm screwed. Because it was a retake, they're just going to use the first grade I got, which means I have no chance of getting to uni. My entire life is screwed up because I'm a screw up. There is nothing stopping me now. There really is no point in even bothering with my other exams because I can't even get a C with what I've got now. I feel worse than ever now. Uni was going to be my escape from all this and now it's gone. I can't handle this anymore. I want to try and kill myself again :/

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Name: LJ

Re: There really is no point in trying anymore - June 8th 2009, 11:36 AM

Hey hunny...I know how you're feeling, but please don't. I know college's can be unhelpful when it comes to things like that ): I wish I could say something helpful, but idk what to say...I'm here though, if you need someone to talk to, ok?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: There really is no point in trying anymore - June 8th 2009, 11:39 AM

Hey Ella.

This exam is not the end of the world. You were in the hospital which was a lot more important than retaking your exam - if you weren't at the hospital, you may not have been lucky enough to have survive your suicide attempt and therefore you wouldn't have the opportunity of going to any university. You have gotten through a very tough point in your life by being strong and that is a lot more impressive and worthwhile than any exam. Your health should come before your education.

You will be able to get into a university, try not to panic. You will be able to retake your exam again - some people retake their exams several times. You may want to contact your college or the exam board again about this. Even if you decide to keep the C, that isn't bad and you can still get into a university with a C grade, Ella.

Trying to commit suicide isn't the answer to this, it's not going to improve your grade or help you get into university, if you're successful in committing suicide then that would mean that any opportunity or chance of you going to university would be taken away.

Honestly, I think that the best thing that you could do right now would be to contact your college again and ask if you could retake the exam again, whether it is septemper, january or whenever. I'm sure that they will let you - if not, then you may want to approach another college to retake that exam. You can change this and get into university, Ella. Don't give up.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

June 8th 2009, 12:43 PM

I got a U the first time I took the exam =[ and I need a C and a D to get into the uni I want to go to which is prettymuch nothing compared to most other people who are going to uni. It's pathetic that I can't even do 2 A-levels when I know some people who are taking 4. I went to the doctors this morning and she put me on prozac, and I'm going back for a check up on friday so shes gonna give me a doctors note when I go back on friday. Hopefully when I give the college my note, they'll try and help me sort something out, but I'm just so scared because since I started school I've been expected to do well and go to uni and if I don't its just going to be another failure to add to the list. I don't want to be a cashier for the rest of my life :/

My mum has just told me that if I don't go to uni Im going to have to pay 518 a month in rent. I'm screwed. there is seriously no point in anything anymore.

Last edited by Lizzie; June 8th 2009 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Merge double posts

(#5 (permalink)) Old
L'espoir Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jen

Re: There really is no point in trying anymore - June 8th 2009, 04:21 PM

Ella,

Im sorry things have been so tough for you and it probably doesn't help that your college is being unsupportive. Like Stephanie said though, you can always re-take your exams. It doesn't make you a failure! At my sisters college you can do a third year to re-take exams so it might be the same at your college or one near to you. Have you talked to a careers advisor about it? There should be one in your school, or you could have a chat with connexions, the website is here [click here]. They give good advice on exams and things like that, they can also help with your housing issues. Its not fair for you to have to pay 518 a month and you don't have to! Anyway, I hope things go well for you at college. Maybe you could try and have a chat with a learning support assistant or you form tutor/head of year or even a school councellor. There should be somebody to help you

Good Luck
Jen

PM // VM

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Re: There really is no point in trying anymore - June 8th 2009, 06:32 PM

When I finish college this year my dad stops paying maintenance and my mums child tax credit stops, so if I stayed at college for another year, I would have to pay rent as my mum cannot afford to look after me, she worked out that it would be 518 for food household bills and insurance on her car :/ I'm completely stuck. I've emailed my tutor and sociology teacher to try and figure out what to do, but they havent replied yet. I honestly don't know what I'm going to do. Uni was my way out of all this and it's not gonna happen now.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
*Jen* Offline
keep smiling :-)
Outside, huh?

Name: Jen

Re: There really is no point in trying anymore - June 8th 2009, 10:20 PM

Hey Ella,

I am so sorry that you are going through all of this at the moment. I think your health is the most important thing here. It is not your fault you were in hospital and so unable to do your exam. Try to stay calm until your tutor and sociology teacher replies. There might be other options since you were unwell and unable to do the exam.

It is good you went to the doctors today and were given anti-depressants. Hopefully they will help you a bit to lift your mood.

Suicide is definitely not the answer though. You wouldn't be able to achieve your ambition of going to uni if you gave up. I know it might seem like right now everything has been shattered and you are not going to be able to go to uni but you don't know that for sure yet so don't give up. Hopefully they will reply to your emails soon then you will know where you stand.

Stay strong and look after yourself :-)

Closed Thread