TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Polar Bear Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

How do you stop it - August 12th 2009, 03:59 AM

I'm new and not sure if this is how you do these things, but heres my shot. I just wanted to know how some of you stop thinking of suicide and such all the time. I can't seem to do anything anymore, without thinking about it. In every situation im in lately i fantasize at how i could do it then and there. I just need some help with how to deal. I know i do need help, but im not ready for that step just yet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, i realize i cant do this on my own anymore.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
ThePunkAlien Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Josh

Re: How do you stop it - August 12th 2009, 04:38 AM

Like to say, I can help you. But, I have no idea either because those thoughts are starting to haunt me as well. Would like to deny it and sometimes things get better, then it gets triggered again - it's fucking insane and intense. Even now how I'd do it now. Just fucking scared dude. Wish I could help you, tell you what to do, but I'm just as lost and wanted you to know - you're not alone in this.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
dancer Offline
love, anonymous
I've been here a while

Re: How do you stop it - August 12th 2009, 04:51 AM

Hey there,

welcome to TH! It's really great that you're reaching out for help here.

Do you know of there's anything that seems to be triggering you? Sometimes avoiding, or at least noticing, things that bring up suicidal thoughts can help. "Redirecting" your thoughts can help, too. For example, if you notice yourself starting to think about suicide and planning and whatnot, try refocusing on imagining plans for something else - what's something you'd like to accomplish? What's a dream you'd like to realize? Or even just what do you want to do with your friends when you see them next? Letting yourself get momentarily absorbed in pretty commonplace things, like making mental lists of what chores you need to do or deciding what you're going to have for lunch, can also actually be really helpful distractions. Things that help provide something else to think about, like the "plot" or stories in music, reading, even TV shows or movies, can also help.

Even if you're not ready for something like talking to a doctor or a counselor, which even though can seem frightening really aren't quite as world-crashing as thought, is there someone like a friend or parent you could talk to? Ordinary things like texting a friend, even if it's not about how you're feeling but just a random conversation, can often help things get better.

Hope some of those suggestions maybe sound helpful. Hang in there.

Drown in the music,
dance in the rain,
block out the thunder,
and let the scars fade.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Polar Bear Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: How do you stop it - August 12th 2009, 05:04 AM

See, i start out not thinking about it (thinking about what for lunch etc.) but it morphs into i hate myself, why am i here. i just can't control how my mind strays. I wish i could say its a comfort others are feeling this way too, but i dont. I feel like everyone else should be happy, they deserve it. See, even responding to help has me going down the wrond path. I'm starting to feel hopeless. But thanks for responding, it does mean something to me.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
esfdhtfy Offline
Dream Big
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Joseph S.

Re: How do you stop it - August 12th 2009, 05:07 AM

Hi there,

Welcome to TeenHelp! [: It's a good thing that you've signed up here as this forum has helped so many people [including myself] deal with a whole bunch of different issues. I really do hope that you find everything you're looking for here. There are a ton of lovely and helpful people that use the site. You may have noticed that there are members with different coloured usernames aside from the usual purple. These members are Staff members, like myself. Feel free to send them a message if you ever need anything at all.

Suicide is such a complicated thing to cope with and more and more people are beginning to think about this kind of thing, especially young teenagers. Does anybody know about your thoughts in regards to this? I know it may be very scary to talk to somebody about your feelings, especially when they are theses kinds of feelings, but reaching out to somebody close to you that you trust could really make the world of a difference for you.

If you're not ready to do that just yet, it's okay, there's no rush. However, if you're beginning to worry or if you feel like you're starting to get out of control, I urge you to talk to an adult immediately. With sucidal thoughts, things could evolve into something very serious in no time at all. It's important to be very cautious of this. To avoid something happening, I'd recommend talking to somebody right away but after all, I can't force you to do such a thing. You must decide that for yourself.

Do you have any hobbies or interests? Participating in things like this can really help you a lot! Not only will it allow you to participate in something that you enjoy but it'll also present you with the opportunity to meet new people who share your interests. Through these kinds of means, new friendships could be formed; friendships that could make the world of a difference in your life and even prevent you from continuing to experience the suicidal thoughts you've been having.

Suicide is a very important thing and should never be taken lightly. The fact that you've experienced suicidal thoughts is a scary thing and I really do encourage you to seek help. Something is not right with you and it's important that you address the issue as early as possible. By not dealing with it in an appropriate manner, you may make things a lot worse for yourself. Just think about it, okay? Remember that there are a ton of people that you can reach out to; people that truly love and care about you. [:

Take care and if you ever need anything, feel free to send a message my way.

SUP BRO.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Polar Bear Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: How do you stop it - August 12th 2009, 05:14 AM

That brings up another question, what do you do when you're feeling hopeless, have seeked help and they didn't believe you/could be happening to YOU their daughter. I tried talking to people, in the beginning, but it accomplished nothing and is getting worse. My current solution: putting on a happy face so the no one knows.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
dancer Offline
love, anonymous
I've been here a while

Re: How do you stop it - August 12th 2009, 05:20 AM

Mmm, I understand how that is. Sometimes I'll start out thinking about who knows what, some bird on a telephone or whatever and somehow my line of thoughts will start tripping over themselves.

But it is possible to still straighten them back up. When I notice that I've started to fall, figuring out why and then refuting it, even if it's only half-heartedly, can sometimes help. Filling in statements like "I am not worthless because..." or "I like... about me" or "... about me is awesome." Or sometimes reminding yourself that there are good things about you, and that you're a part of people's lives, and that without you, there's a you-shaped whole in the world that no one else can ever fill sometimes help.

Because you do deserve to be happy. You were born so therefore you deserve to be happy. And you're not hopeless. The question "why am I here" is kind of a big one, and I don't think we're expected to figure that one out completely. The fact that you are here is enough. You're here, you matter, and you deserve to take care of you. Please don't hate yourself - even if there are things about you that you don't like, instead of viewing them as a tarnish, maybe just view them as a challenge to work on. Imperfections aren't invalidations. People have blemishes and things they don't like about themselves. Welcome to the human race. But not liking things about yourself doesn't mean that you should then not like yourself as a whole. Whenever you start to feel like you hate yourself, maybe try coming up with a list of things that there are to like about you instead.

Hang in there

Drown in the music,
dance in the rain,
block out the thunder,
and let the scars fade.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
dancer Offline
love, anonymous
I've been here a while

Re: How do you stop it - August 12th 2009, 05:23 AM

If the people, such as parents, aren't believing you, then please keep speaking up for yourself. You don't have to pretend like you're okay. It's okay to not be okay. Is there another relative you could ask for help from? Sometimes calling a helpline (I personally like Hopeline, 1-800-442-HOPE) can be a good way to reach out when you're feeling hopeless, or just to sort out how to address things or to talk with someone about what's going on, and it's not quite as much of a commitment as a counselor.

Drown in the music,
dance in the rain,
block out the thunder,
and let the scars fade.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Polar Bear Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: How do you stop it - August 12th 2009, 04:06 PM

I'll work on it, thanks for the advice.

Closed Thread