TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

CBT? - October 27th 2009, 10:50 PM

I have my first CBT session tomorrow. What does it involve? I don't know why people haven't just given up on me already. I'm a lost cause.

I don't even want to go. All I want to do is overdose. I can't see how anything is going to change the way I feel. I don't have the energy to try anymore.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Marshki Offline
Its Shazzy time
Average Joe

Name: Shazzy

Re: CBT? - October 27th 2009, 11:55 PM

CBT can help you to make sense of overwhelming problems by breaking them down into smaller parts. This makes it easier to see how they are connected and how they affect you. it can target a situation, then explore your thoughts, emotions, physical feelings, and actions etc...
which would help you think about doing things in different ways and help you understand why.

You are not a lost case Ella, you are a solider who keeps fighting to gain freedom and recovery.

This is taken from www.rcpsych.ac.uk
What does CBT involve?

The sessions
CBT can be done individually or with a group of people. It can also be done from a self-help book or computer programme. In England and Wales two computer-based programmes have been approved for use by the NHS. Fear Fighter is for people with phobias or panic attacks, Beating the Blues is for people with mild to moderate depression.

If you have individual therapy:
  • You will usually meet with a therapist for between 5 and 20, weekly, or fortnightly, sessions. Each session will last between 30 and 60 minutes.
  • In the first 2-4 sessions, the therapist will check that you can use this sort of treatment and you will check that you feel comfortable with it.
  • The therapist will also ask you questions about your past life and background. Although CBT concentrates on the here and now, at times you may need to talk about the past to understand how it is affecting you now.
  • You decide what you want to deal with in the short, medium and long term.
  • You and the therapist will usually start by agreeing on what to discuss that day.
The work
  • With the therapist, you break each problem down into its separate parts, as in the example above. To help this process, your therapist may ask you to keep a diary. This will help you to identify your individual patterns of thoughts, emotions, bodily feelings and actions.
  • Together you will look at your thoughts, feelings and behaviours to work out:
    - if they are unrealistic or unhelpful
    - how they affect each other, and you.
  • The therapist will then help you to work out how to change unhelpful thoughts and behaviours
  • It's easy to talk about doing something, much harder to actually do it. So, after you have identified what you can change, your therapist will recommend "homework" - you practise these changes in your everyday life. Depending on the situation, you might start to:
  • Question a self-critical or upsetting thought and replace it with more helpful (and more realistic) one that you have developed in CBT .
  • Recognise that you are about to do something that will make you feel worse and, instead, do something more helpful.
  • At each meeting you discuss how you've got on since the last session. Your therapist can help with suggestions if any of the tasks seem too hard or don't seem to be helping.
  • They will not ask you to do things you don't want to do - you decide the pace of the treatment and what you will and won't try. The strength of CBT is that you can continue to practise and develop your skills even after the sessions have finished. This makes it less likely that your symptoms or problems will return.

Last edited by Marshki; October 27th 2009 at 11:59 PM. Reason: link

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Re: CBT? - October 28th 2009, 12:59 PM

i went to the session this morning. She tried to get me to go to some group therapy thing for people who self harm. I told her I didn't think it would help me. I hate talking about stuff, why can't people understand that?
I have to keep a "mood diary". I don't know what to write in it. I don't want her reading stuff thats personal to me. I can't let my guard down. I can't have people knowing what goes oninside my head. I don't want to do this anymore. I jus want to dissappear.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
*Jen* Offline
keep smiling :-)
Outside, huh?

Name: Jen

Re: CBT? - October 28th 2009, 04:37 PM

Ella, for her to help you are going to have to be honest with her about how you are feeling. You do have choices here. You can either carry on how you are feeling like this, which I don't think you want to. Or you can talk to them and see how they can help. They can only help if they know how you are feeling.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: CBT? - October 28th 2009, 07:38 PM

Ella,

I know it is hard but the only way she can help you is if you let her in. I too had trouble letting therapists in but, recently, I decided that the only way for me to get help was by letting my therapist in. I let her in and therapy seems to be working a lot better now than in the past. The same thing can happen for you. I know how hard it is but the reward is worth it.

Please hang in there and if you ever want to chat feel free to pm me.

Jenna

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Re: CBT? - October 28th 2009, 08:39 PM

I know I need to be honest with her, but the thought of trusting people terrifies me. I can't even remember the last time I actually trusted someone. I'm so scared. I don't know what to do.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Marshki Offline
Its Shazzy time
Average Joe

Name: Shazzy

Re: CBT? - October 28th 2009, 09:46 PM

have you tried writing what you are feeling down, this may be easier than talking to her, you could give it to her and let her read it later

(#8 (permalink)) Old
primal moo Offline
Average Joe

Name: moo!

Re: CBT? - October 28th 2009, 10:44 PM

If it's really scary to let someone in all at once, you can do it little by little, too... Maybe there's something small that you could start with that you could tell her, "I'm working on saying more, but I'd like to tell you this so you know I'm willing." I think the important bit is that you're willing to eventually get to a trusting place, even if you're not quite there yet. But if you walk in with absolutely no intention of trusting, it'll probably hold your progress back a little.

Closed Thread