TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

I hate the winter. - October 30th 2009, 06:49 PM

Why the hell is winter coming? >____< I always feel like complete crap in the winter. The only reason I can just about tolerate it is knowing that Christmas is coming, and that doesn't even seem like that big a thrill to me this year. Halloween normally makes me happy too, it doesn't at all now It's dark outside already and it's 5:45pm, it got dark at about 5pm. I hate the darkness too, I'm not scared of the dark but night time makes me feel depressed too. So, winter at night is the worst for me.

I was crying all yesterday for no reason at all (I haven't done that for months) everything just seems hollow right now. Maybe once Decemeber comes the Christmas spirit will kick in and it'll make me feel better, I just don't want to feel like this all month .______. I want summer back.

Does anyone else feel like this in the winter? If so, what did/do you do about it?

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Savanna Offline
Average Joe

Re: I hate the winter. - October 30th 2009, 07:40 PM

Well sometimes someone should talk about what is wrong. Getting depressed can ruin all the fun and that sounds like that is what your saying. If I am wrong tell me. I will be glad to listen to you.
  Send a message via MSN to Savanna Send a message via Yahoo to Savanna Send a message via Skype™ to Savanna 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
justme Offline
Not a n00b

Name: kat

Re: I hate the winter. - October 30th 2009, 08:11 PM

Mehhh... winter sucks.
I've started taking antidepressants again because it just gets me down so badly. But if not medication... some stuff i do to try and keep positive is stuff like wearing bright colours and soft, comfy clothes. I call my friends and go for walks through the leaves. Treat myself to chocolate and ice cream every once and awhile.
Buy a joke book.
Dye my hair a different, funky colour.

The key is to keep things interesting. It's hard but it's possible, trust me.

*virtual hug*

(#4 (permalink)) Old
i_am_me_again Offline
I'm A Pyschotic Neurotic.
I can't get enough

Name: Jaymi

Re: I hate the winter. - October 30th 2009, 09:48 PM

Hi Ceilidh

I know how you feel. I have an illness called S.A.D (Seasonal Affective Disorder)
Its like a depression that only comes in a winter. Or if you suffer depression it generally makes it 10 x worse.

I can completely understand why you get so depressed. Its the darkness. The change. The lack of natural light.

You could be prescribed anti-depressants...like me?

Or an alternative is to get a light box.

Here are some examples....but there are cheaper alternatives.

http://www.sadbox.co.uk/light-boxes-...9e266b42f390ba

What these do is create natural sauces of light to give the feel of summer indoors. Its different to a normal lightbulb.

Try getting busy. Wear bright clothes and as kat said....treat yourself to nice things.

Winter is difficult to get through...but it doesnt last forever.

Jamie
xx

HelpLink Mentor & Forum Moderator

PM me!

Our lives are like music.
It hits its high and low notes,
But in the end,
It all turns into a perfect melody
  Send a message via MSN to i_am_me_again  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: I hate the winter. - November 1st 2009, 12:11 AM

Thanks guys ^______^ wow, I never knew you could actually have a disorder for it o_____O I thought it was just me being strange. I went down the doctors about being depressed before, he basically said I was fine and put it down to a lack of confidence (which I believe I do have but isn't the entire problem) and shyness.

I'll look into those light boxes thanks <3333 I actually haven't felt that bad today, I have no idea why but I guess it's a good thing

-virtual hug back-

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: I hate the winter. - November 2nd 2009, 12:13 PM

Hey there Ceilidh,

It's good that you've recognised that Winter is a trigger to your depression and low feelings as it meand that you can try and do something about that. There is indeed an disorder called Seasonal Affective Disorder which works around the changes of season and does often see people become more depressed in the Autumn or Winter months when it gets darker. It is very common and light therapy is a very successful treatment. I would strongly suggest looking into the light boxes that Jaymi has already linked you to.
I'm glad to hear that you felt better yesterday but it's important to remember that people who feel depressed don't have to feel that way constantly. Try and keep yourself busy, too, try to get out and about when it is brighter throughout the day.
I think that it may be worth returning to your doctor if they dismissed it last time.

Take care.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
-Mind-Freak- Offline
Not a n00b

Re: I hate the winter. - November 8th 2009, 07:54 AM

Have you considered you may suffer from SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder)? I'm familiar with it.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Eighmeekins Offline
learning to love life ♀♀♥
Not a n00b

Name: Amy Elizabeth

Re: I hate the winter. - November 8th 2009, 08:04 AM

I'm the complete opposite. The summer is so depressing for me. I can hardly wait for winter. I love the overcast and cold days the best : ). I'm sorry it's so hard for you though. I really hope you feel better!

(#9 (permalink)) Old
-Mind-Freak- Offline
Not a n00b

Re: I hate the winter. - November 8th 2009, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amykins View Post
I'm the complete opposite. The summer is so depressing for me. I can hardly wait for winter. I love the overcast and cold days the best : ). I'm sorry it's so hard for you though. I really hope you feel better!
Sorry I keep bringing this up, but I just read about SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) and theres a "reverse" version of it that implies feeling bummed during the summer. Of course if theres personal reasons for you to, ignore me. This is just if it's unexplainable for you to feel this way.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
DomoKay Offline
Fire behind her eyes
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kelsey

Re: I hate the winter. - November 8th 2009, 01:41 PM

Hello there. I totally understand where you are coming from. Sometimes winter can be a gloomy time of the year. There are some scientific reasons to this. Some research says that lower levels of serotonin and melatonin can be associated with insufficient amount of sunlight. This means that the "feel good" chemicals in your brain can be lower if you are not in the sun as much. In the winter, the days are shorter and the bright sun doesn't seem to come out at as much. Because of this, many people feel more depressed in the winter.

I think something that could help you survive the winter better is to try and do things that you can only do in the winter. Having something to look forward to is always good. Something that I look forward to in the winter is snowboarding. Find something fun you can do! Snowboarding or skiing, sled riding, making snowmen, drinking hot chocolate, celebrating and decorating for the holidays, caroling, ice skating, getting involved in a winter sport, volunteering at a local soup kitchen or shelter, making blankets or scarves and mittens-any cozy winter gear, wrapping up in a blanket and sitting by the fireplace, baking cookies.. There are so many things you can do, whether it snows there or not.

I hope that this winter is more tolerable for you! Maybe you will even have some fun this winter! Just remember that it is what you make it.. If you think it's going to be horrible, it probably will be horrible. If you think it's going to be fun, you will find a way to make it fun! Take care. Feel free to talk to me anytime.

we've escaped our capture

Laugh loudly, sing like no one's listening, dance like no one's watching, stay in the moment, get that adrenaline pumpin', deep breaths, be easy on yourself <3 PM me

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: I hate the winter. - November 8th 2009, 01:55 PM

I always want to go for walks to try and make myself less depressed as otherwise I'm stuck in the house all day doing crap all. Nobody ever wants to come with me I'd understand if it was snowing/raining/stupidly cold but right now it's none of those things. Loads of my friends/family don't even want to walk in the suimmer.

I'm going to the doctors soon anyway because of something else, I'll bring up this too Thanks everyone <3

Closed Thread