TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
VampirePrincess Offline
Ice Princess
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Crystal

Very Sensitive About My Age... - January 23rd 2010, 07:36 AM

Or should I say, the age everyone thinks I am.

Every day, I go places on campus or I go somewhere else after school, and people think I'm a little kid! If it's late they say "where are your parents, do they know you're here little girl?" and if it's early they say "you skipped class! I'm going to call up the elementary school so they know you're okay."

So I show them my college ID and driver's license and explain to them that actually, I'm a college student with my own car, and definitely older than they think. And they tell me that they're fake IDs, and not even believable ones!

Now when I was a 15 year old college student I could understand them not believing I was in college. I thought elementary school was a bit far-fetched from high school age...but I could understand them not thinking I was in college.

Now I'm 18, and I'm still getting comments like that all the time. I am so depressed over this, and so sensitive about it that it's like, when someone mentions it...it's like I'm possessed. I get shoved to the side and some other force takes over that screams and yells at people.

Now later I will sure be grateful to look so young. But right now it is impossible! No one wants to date me because I look too young. No one wants to be friends with me because I look to young. And no one ever listens to a thing I have to say because they think I'm a stupid little kid!

You're all going to think this sounds really awful of me to say, and I'll apologize right now for sounding like a self-worshipping brat. But I am a lot smarter than most people my age...I learn things much faster. And I am used to hanging out with people a lot older than me so I think more like them. Also, while you may not believe it (I show my worst side when I am depressed), I have the maturity of someone about 20 years older than me (according to many adults I talk to). All this makes me feel much older than I really am, and to have people still think I'm a little kid...it hurts!

I tried wearing makeup a few times (normally I never wear it)...but I got scolded by random strangers for "stealing my mommy's makeup." Guess it could have been because I put it on so poorly...

I decided to display my vocabulary...but got called a "little know-it-all," and not in a kind way either.

I don't know if I'm looking for advice on this or if I just needed someone to listen...I just get so depressed over this, it is so small in comparison to the problems other people have but for me this is a major thing and it hurts me a lot...

{{sending PINTEREST invites! just ask!}}

Volume of a Doughnut
V = 2(pi)^2 * R(r)^2

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: mystery :)

Re: Very Sensitive About My Age... - January 23rd 2010, 08:24 AM

heyyyy.

Your problem is not anything to scoff at.. if it causes you to be hurt a lot, and it makes you feel this bad, then this is a big problem. I understand that sometimes the way people look at you in this way, is most certainly hurtful for you. However, That is just what they say, and you most certainly should not let what they say bother you . They are just saying all that because they know it will get to you, and it will affect you in this way.

However , what is most important is for you to know that you are mature, you know who you are, and you know see things which they dont. Trust me, it's all worth it if you stay firm to your beliefs and personality and not let anything negative sway your thoughts..

Some people think you are looking too young.. but the fact remains that there will most certainly be that special group of people who are willing to be friends with you regardless of what happens and take you seriously . These people are most certainly roaming about.. just waiting for you to try and talk to them. Once you do, everything will begin from there. And so is the case with dating. There is always going to be that special person who will take you as who you are, respect you as that, and be willing to take you as their special person.

I understand that it all seems unbelievable that all that will happen, but the fact remains that everything will get better. Dont let whatever negative things people say affect you too much.. you are you, you are the way you are, and i am sure a lot of people will find that you are someone who's nice , mature and sees the other side of matters that most people won't even fathom.

Remember that you can always tell us anything, okay? we are all ears.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
jjaceyy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jacey

Re: Very Sensitive About My Age... - January 23rd 2010, 10:41 PM

my mom had the same problem when she was younger. she would always get picked on and no one would take her seriously. but then she went to her high school reunion recently and all the people who made fun of her now look really old for their age and she still looks really young and theyre all jealous of her! hehe.

just turn the negative energy into something positive. just keep being yourself and doing what you want to do and dont let anyone put you down. just show them how mature you are by the way you think and who are you in the inside and you'll get where you want to

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Very Sensitive About My Age... - January 25th 2010, 04:14 PM

If it does hurt this bad you should talk to a friend or someone. It does help to tell. If people make fun of you just ignore it. Just think. When there all 50 you'll probably look like 20 or 30 Theyll awl be jelouse!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
chanelxo Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Very Sensitive About My Age... - January 25th 2010, 07:00 PM

I know how you feel,i'm 18 and people tell me i look 12,it's hard to even go on a job interview and not get hired i always think maybe it's because i look young,you're not alone.But my sister who is 16 looks just as young as me,we always say hey when we are in our 40s we will look 20 haha.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
morethanuseless Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Lauren

Re: Very Sensitive About My Age... - January 27th 2010, 03:16 AM

I understand the feeling, I too look younger than I am, mainly because of my stature, im very petite. And people think that I am 12 when I have no make up on, so I went to a makeup counter and they taught me how to put it on to make me look older and now ive taken up an interest makeup and even thinking about it as a career!
And like other people said, we will look young when others don't! So its really not so bad when you think about it.
hope you feel better

The shadow proves the sunshine.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Steph-O
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stephanie

Re: Very Sensitive About My Age... - January 27th 2010, 02:08 PM

yeah i undestand how you feel... i've even got walked on by some little kids cuz they thought i was younger than them when I was really 18. People ask me how old I am all the time cuz they think I'm too young, like at the library and such and it drives me crazy too... best thing to do is shrug is off. You know your real age and your maturity level and people will see who you are once they really get to know you so don't sweat it.

Like a diet of the mind, I just choose not to indulge certain appetites; like my appetite for patterns; perhaps my appetite to imagine and to dream. - A Beautiful Mind

I met Steven October 3rd, 2008. We've been practically inseperable ever since. ♥
  Send a message via AIM to darkinnocenteyes Send a message via Skype™ to darkinnocenteyes 
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Jacksonian Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jackson

Re: Very Sensitive About My Age... - January 30th 2010, 12:11 AM

Don't let such things get to you. Live your life and enjoy it. It must be annoying but don't pay any attention to it.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
BabyIndia Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: India

Re: Very Sensitive About My Age... - January 30th 2010, 12:20 AM

I'm 19 and get I.D all the freaking time it's unbelivable..

My mam looks realy young for her age to, she's like early 40's but doesnt look really old.

Just think when your like 40, you'll look way younger :P

I understand it's frustrating, but you have to put your stiff upper lip on, and make sure they don't see it's getting to you, they'll only do it more if they see it's getting to you.

I was around 8 when i first started getting picked on, when i showed i was bothered, or kicked off, it got worse, but when i pretended i didnt care, and laughed at them, they soon got bored.

So when someone says " your not even 18 your 12 (or whatever they say) just say least i'll look this good when im older, and not a wrinkly oldie like you, and walk away, or just laugh in there faces.

x

(#10 (permalink)) Old
VampirePrincess Offline
Ice Princess
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Crystal

Re: Very Sensitive About My Age... - January 30th 2010, 03:31 AM

Thanks so much everyone It makes me feel a lot better to see I'm not alone. And I'll do my best to not let my feelings show to those who only want to hurt me. But this still...it makes me so depressed. I know it sounds like a stupid thing to get depressed over, when many other people have much worse problems in their life...I'll just have to try and get over it.

{{sending PINTEREST invites! just ask!}}

Volume of a Doughnut
V = 2(pi)^2 * R(r)^2

(#11 (permalink)) Old
amanda8090 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Very Sensitive About My Age... - January 30th 2010, 03:34 AM

Hey, well you shouldnt be ashamed sometimes looking younger then you actually are is good. I have a friend that is very petite were all in high school and everyone always tells her to go back to elemantry. It's not her fault though and it isnt yours either. Life is to short to care about what other people think of you. Hope that helped

Closed Thread