TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Jessica

Unhappy Battle - January 26th 2010, 12:13 AM

Not sure if this would go under depression or self harm... Feel free to move if necessary.

So lately I have been feeling depressed. I haven't wanted to get out of bed, I haven't even really been motivated to do things I would normally do (schoolwork, chores, talking with friends). My attitude has gotten to the point where I am very antisocial. And more times than not I have been tempted to cut myself. I just want some support, some advice on how to get through this. :/

~ Photo

I'm a saint, and I'm a sinner.
I'm a loser, I'm a winner.
I am steady, and unstable.
I am young, but I am able.
Who I am - Jessica Andrews

"From dusk to dawn, everything will go on." - Me

"Be strong and hold your head high, because there are millions just waiting to see it fall." - Me

(#2 (permalink)) Old
thisiscourtney Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Re: Battle - January 26th 2010, 12:45 AM

Can you come up with a reason why you're feeling like this (low self-esteem, thoughts that life has no purpose, abuse, etc.)? Some things that can help regardless of the situation are getting creative and doing positive things that you can feel accomplished about. Writing or exercise are forms of release that would be much healthier than self-harm. But the only way you can fully recover is tackling the real problem, whatever it may be.

Waitin' for my ruca.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Re: Battle - January 26th 2010, 12:55 AM

We have had a lot of family issues going on lately, so it's been very stressful. It just seems like no one cares anymore about how I am feeling about it all. I just feel all alone. I do write, often actually. And that usually helps, but not lately. I need something. I can feel it inside me, as weird as that sounds, that there is something missing. Not a person, but a feeling, and I cannot figure out what it is. After last year, I was seeing a therapist, but I only went a few times. Then my brother got into a few situations and we could only afford to send one of us to therapy. It's hard. I want to figure out what the issue is, I really do. But noone wants to listen. I am always the advice-giver, but once I need advice noone is there and willing. It sucks. I just want someone to ask me what's wrong and not accept "nothing" for an answer. :/

"Be strong and hold your head high, because there are millions just waiting to see it fall." - Me

(#4 (permalink)) Old
thisiscourtney Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Re: Battle - January 26th 2010, 01:00 AM

It really seems like you just want someone to care. I don't know if that's the "missing ingredient" you seem to be wondering about, but you should really seek help. Going to a school counselor is free and if you want to talk to someone closer to you, then maybe you should try opening up to a friend or even your parents. We care about you here at TeenHelp.

Waitin' for my ruca.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Battle - January 26th 2010, 01:01 AM

Hey there,

Depression and self harm are very difficult things to struggle with but believe me when I say there is hope.

Have you ever considered talking to someone about these feelings you are having? I know it is a scary thing to do but in the end talking about your problems really can help.

Talking to a counselor would be really great but if you don't feel comfortable doing that maybe you could start off by talking to you mom or dad or another trusted adult? Yes, this will be hard to do but with time you might notice that talking really does have a positive impact on your feelings.

Do you journal? I know that journaling has helped me in the past and it might help you. I used to journal all the time about my triggers and about the reasons I was sad. It helped open my eyes to a lot of things and there were days when the journaling prevented me from hurting myself.

I am going to give you a list of journal activities that might be helpful if you decide to journal.

-I am the one who....
-First Grade Memories (Could be done for all grades/ages)
-Yesterday I....
- I believe....
- I can.....
- Sunshine makes me feel...
-My Dad
- My Mom
- My Grandma
- My Grandpa
-if I could be doing anything right now, I'd be...
- What if...

Violence…
-In 20 Years I'd Like to Be....
- Favorite memories
-My family

- Good things about me are…
- Something/s I keep secret are…
- How It Feels to Win/Lose
- I'm thankful for...

- The first thing I remember....
- My hero
- No one would believe me when/if…

- Something people usually don't notice about me is...
- Places you like
- Places you dislike

- Do you accept yourself as you are, or would you like to be someone else?
- Answer this question," Have I in any way done something that has hurt my parents?"

- Has anyone done something to hurt me?
- I'll never forget_______.
-Free Association. Write anything and everything that is on your mind.

Of course, when it comes to journaling you can write whatever you want but I know there have been times when I had no clue what to write about and these topics opened my mind and I ended up getting so much out. Maybe it will help you too.

Lastly, I am going to give you some links that might help you when you are struggling.

The first link is Alternatives to Self Harm - TeenHelp the alternatives on this list have helped me to fight my urges in the past and I am hoping that they will help you too.

The second link I am going to give you is Reasons to Live - TeenHelp this link list a bunch of reasons people have to keep on holding on. After looking at that maybe you can make your own list of reasons to live?

The last link I am going to give you is Hold On (To Hope) NEW - TeenHelp

Please hang in there and if you ever need someone to talk to feel free to pm me.

Jenna
this link has a lot of songs that have inspired/help people when they were struggling. If you like music this link might be for you.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Re: Battle - January 26th 2010, 01:16 AM

I can't talk to my parents about it. My mother is very judgemental toward me when I have tried, and just ends up getting angry at me for being upset. And my father goes straight to her with everything that I tell him. I've tried talking to other adults, but my mother got jealous. She forbid me from talking to them and siad that she felt like she was being "replaced as a mother". And yes, I have tried explaining to het what i just explained about her being judgemental.
I don't feel comfortable talking to most of my friends because I am from a very small town, so one slip and the entire town knows your buisness.

I do journal. Quite often actually. It normally helpsm though for some reason it hasn't been lately. Jenna - thank you for the journaling ideas. I will give them a try. That isn't how I normally journal, so it is worth a shot to try something new.
Courtney - maybe the missing piece is someone who cares. Thinking about it, there is really only one person in my life that I have always felt cared about me. He and I dated a year and a half. But he moved to a new town and slowly we started drifting apart. I have been missing him a lot lately and maybe he is what I need to fill the gap. :/ He and I haven't talked in a couple months though, so I am not sure how to talk to him about it.

Closed Thread