TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Arcenciel Offline
Child and Youth Care Worker
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Jen

Exclamation Hospital stay - March 5th 2010, 04:16 AM

So I have recently been diagnosed with depression and anxiety disorder. Long story short I had a bad day at school with managing it so I went to the counsellors office to ask for help. They called my parents cuz I wanted to kill myself. Mom n dad flipped when I got home and it resulted in me running away, getting caught, An abusive situation, and a hospital trip. I was sent home because they didn't have a child psych ward but my school counsellor knows which hospital does have one. So my dad is going to make some calls tomorrow and try to get me in. I don't know for how long or what will happen. I want to go to get help but I'm so scared.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
rem Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: phoenix

Re: Hospital stay - March 5th 2010, 02:39 PM

Hey there.
Well i understand how scared u are right now but i'm also extremely glad that you are getting help. I know u will get better. I wish i could get some professional help too. I badly need it right now. U are not alone. Let the treatment work nd yo'l be fine. take care.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
*Jen* Offline
keep smiling :-)
Outside, huh?

Re: Hospital stay - March 5th 2010, 03:24 PM

I am sorry to hear things are so tough for you Jenn. I was put on an adult psych ward at 16! So you are lucky they are finding a child one because adult ones are not nice. It is good you want to get help and going into hospital is definitely a step in the right direction and at least it will keep you safe. I wouldn't like you to cause any harm to yourself because I care about you as well as many other people. You just have to go in open minded and hopefully they will be able to help you. You have nothing to lose from trying it so it is definitely worth a try.

I am always here for you. Stay strong and let me know how you get on.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
Find yourself and be that
I've been here a while

Name: Alessa

Re: Hospital stay - March 5th 2010, 06:27 PM

Hey Jenn,
I know how scary it can be to go to a phych ward. But you have to remember, all the staff are specially trained to HELP you! So, if your anxious, scared, mad, anything, they can help you! It's nice because you can always tell people how you are feeling without having to hide it. Plus, you'll meet other kids who have similar situations and you can learn how they deal with them. Try to think of it as a positive experience, you'll be fine. Also, remember your stay will be what you make of it. If you clam up and hide in the corner the whole time refusing to do anything, you're not going to get much help. (I'm not saying you'll do that I'm just stating an example) But if you participate in everything and open up to all the staff, you'll be more likely to feel better afterwards. It's ok to be scared, but you are strong enough, I know you can do it! Let me know how it goes, I'll be thinking about you!
Take care,

Alessa

Whatever it is, chances are I've been there.
If I can make it out, you can too.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Arcenciel Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Hospital stay - March 5th 2010, 07:40 PM

Yeah but what even happens there?? Do I just sit in bed for a week?

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Hospital stay - March 5th 2010, 07:58 PM

Of course not. It depends on the hospital but you'll definately have therapy most of the day. Sometimes it may be group therapy with other kids and sometimes it may be just you and a counselor.Sometimes they might have expressive therapy with like arts and crafts projects. Some hospitals also have a school program during the day so you can do homework and keep up since your missing school. It all depends on the hospital but I'm sure if you called before hand you could talk to someone about what you'll do, who you can go to, etc. They are all usually very nice and caring as it's their job.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Arcenciel Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Hospital stay - March 5th 2010, 08:05 PM

Are people allowed to visit me? Like my friends and family?

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Hospital stay - March 5th 2010, 08:09 PM

Again, depends on the hospital. You'd be better off asking the actual place. The hospital I was at you had to work your way up. So like having phone privleges was something you'd have to earn. I'd think you'd be able to see immediate family also although not sure about friends.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Arcenciel Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Hospital stay - March 5th 2010, 09:01 PM

I'm scared. I want to go because I want to get help, but I'm so scared to have to be in the hospital. !! Plus, the hospital I would have to go to is the place where my Baba died, and I don't know how that's going to effect me. I'm so scared. I am having an anxiety attack and I'm at school. I wish I could go down to the office again but I can't. Good thing there's only like 20 minutes left for the day...

(#10 (permalink)) Old
*Jen* Offline
keep smiling :-)
Outside, huh?

Re: Hospital stay - March 5th 2010, 09:08 PM

Where I was you were allowed friends and family to visit. They will offer you therapy. I know some do like lots of group therapy sessions, which can be useful because you hear about other peoples experiences. Other people there can be really supportive. Try to remain positive about it.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Hospital stay - March 5th 2010, 10:55 PM

Well you'll definately be in a different part of the hospital then where your Baba died so it's not exactly the same place. Plus the therapists there are trained so even if it does affect you. And if you do go and have an anxiety attack, it's so much better than school because you can just like leave group if your in group or have a therapist talk you through it until you feel better. It's really nice being in a place that's designed to help you although I understand it can be scary.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Hospital stay - March 6th 2010, 03:12 PM

Hey there.

I was admitted into a child pysch unit last August for twelve weeks. Fourtunatly, i already knew where it was and i had already seen inside, due to my sister being in a few months beofore. I was in for past overdoses, dangerous self harming, suicial thoughts and anxiety.

I mean, all places work differently, so we cant tell you how it will be for sure. Where i was there was a school. Very small. Three rooms, about four pupils in a class. And some classed didnt have any at times depending on how many kids were in. So you spent 9-3 inschool, but had two breaks and lunch. You had eveing activites. And were alloweed in the garden. After a few weeks of being in, i was granted hlaf an hour walks on my own.

Its scary, im not going to lie. You're going to be terriefied. But you're suppose to be. And its going to be damn god hard, its suppose to be. But the thing is, you are not on you're own. All of these people are here to help and support you. You'll have therapy. Whether its just talking, or arth thearapy etc, these people are going to help you. Its just time for you to start opening up and being honest.

Just be your self kiddo.
Im here if you need me.
jess x

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#13 (permalink)) Old
GhostOfYou Offline
Sorry I can't be perfect
Average Joe

Name: Melissa

Re: Hospital stay - March 6th 2010, 03:50 PM

Hey, I'm sorry things are going to badly for you right now I went through a similer situation last April. Although it can be scary at first, they are there to help you, and they will! You just have to be open to the whole thing. As others have said, every hospital is different...
At the hospital I went to, it was a short-term, 9-21 day ward, with the intent of keeping you safe from harming yourself, just until you feel secure enough to go back out into the real world while entering long-term therapy. I was in there for suicide attempts and threats, self-injurous behavior, and heavy drug abuse.

The first few days are the worst. It's just adjustments, and getting to know the place. Whatever you do, don't fight it. Just go with it, play the game, it's the only way you're going to get out faster. The first few days, I was on suicide watch, meaning 5-minute checks to make sure I wasn't hurting myself. I stayed in my room for days, crying, sobbing, throwing fits of self harm. They have quiet rooms, so make sure you are not too out of control haha, 'cause they're scary. After they watched me for a few days, they came up with a diagnosis, and put me on some medications for depression and sleeping. I saw 2 different doctors a day, and was in group therapy 3-4 times a day. I actually got into a really good healthy shedual. I was required to eat 3 meals a day, when we had free time in the rec room I jogged and played ping-pong, and I played old-school nintendo all the time in the day room. The best part was that I met a lot of really cool kids there, who were struggling just like me. We talked a lot in group therapy about how we could change things for ourselves. I actually learned a lot about myself that I'll always have with me, once I started going along with the game instead of fighting it.

The worst part of my stay was not being able to call/see my boyfriend. My parents were the only ones I could have contact with, only because it was such a short-term stay. At longer-term hospitals, they usually have visitation rules of some sort.

Don't be too worried about it. It's actually pretty fun, I don't think you'll hate it as much as you think you will. Good luck, and I hope things start going better for you!

-Melissa
  Send a message via AIM to GhostOfYou Send a message via MSN to GhostOfYou Send a message via Yahoo to GhostOfYou  
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Life17 Offline
Average Joe

Re: Hospital stay - March 7th 2010, 10:38 PM

Once again it always depends on the hospital. The first couple of days was the hardest because Im use to being home all of the time. I think that if you open up and talk things will not be bad for you

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Firefighter 48 Offline
Firefighter/ EMT-B
Average Joe

Name: Mike

Re: Hospital stay - March 7th 2010, 10:46 PM

I have been admitted to the hospital 4 times, its not that bad and I had a little fun too during recreational therapy playing table tennis, just attend the groups and try to get the most out of being there. I was really scared the first time I had to go but now I know there is no reason to be, they are not bad places.

In the adolescent unit there was visitation like 2-3 times a week, 10 minutes at night to use the phone to talk to parents, and a bunch of group therapy during the day.

The adult unit, we had a smoke break every hour and a half or so, could use the phones anytime as long as it wasn't during group.

Last edited by Firefighter 48; March 7th 2010 at 10:54 PM.
  Send a message via MSN to Firefighter 48  
Closed Thread