TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Krynox Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy Fear of a Heart Attack. - March 6th 2010, 06:37 PM

(Before I start, I put this in depression because I really had no idea where else to put i, and it does make me depressed. Although more worried.)

So, basically:
I think I have engulfed myself in a fear of having a heart attack.

I am a very lowgrade hypochondriac and have been ever since I heard a news repost about a woman that had died from a minor fall on a ski hill near when I lived. I hit my head skateboarding a short time after and was scared for my life over something that hurt for barely 10 minutes. Ever since then I've gotten wrapped up about most pains and aches; thinking of the possibilities of appendicitis and brain tumors.

I had been doing vere good for the past little while on not worrying about anything, and even got my self checked up with my family doctor and he said everything was OK. But now I have been having the slightest chest pains around my heart area and it has really been getting me worried.

I, myself, am 15 years old and have lived in a house where both parents smoke a moderate amount, but I have never had any health-related issues due to such. (No asthma, lung problems, etc) and I'm actually quite a good runner.

Anyway, I would like to hear some thoughts on how you guys feel about how worked up I am about this. Should I be this worried? I wake up every morning hoping to not have a pain, but then I get one and get scared for the rest of the day.

If I am skateboarding with friends or just hanging out I wont think about it and it will go away, and I never had these pains when I was younger so I am really hoping its just that whole "if you think it will happen, it will happen" theory where people worry about things too much to the point where it really does start to physically affect them.

Anyway, I have been having these pains for I'd say 3 weeks to a month, and I have not had anything ever go wrong in the case that I have had to tell my parents about it.

Anyway if you read everything, thank you, and please give me you're advice. Am I just making this up in my head or is there anything I should be worried about?

-Liam

EDIT: I have a regular hbpm and blood pressure, incase anyone was wondeing.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Salkin Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Niklas

Re: Fear of a Heart Attack. - March 6th 2010, 07:24 PM

Does the pain come and go?
Because I think I had the same thing.. turns out it was a molar (accidentally facebutted a desk) that was giving me trouble and somehow transferred the pain through my jaw and into my chest..
It was like a short, pulsing and sometimes pretty intensive pain..

Or you could just talk to your parents about it, you shouldn't have to go around worrying about it all the time.

Failure is success if we learn from it
  Send a message via MSN to Salkin  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
TheLittleNinja Offline
I'm a secret ninja ;)
I've been here a while

Name: Claiiiiiiiiire

Re: Fear of a Heart Attack. - March 6th 2010, 07:52 PM

Hey, just a quick reply. I will add more if I get some more time :]

I think you should LIVE and LOVE life! Take it in your stride, and have fun - why wait for the worst case scenario??

My had has heart disease. Before you have a heart attack you'll often feel your jaw, shoulders, neck hurting/aching.

You can also get pre-cramps in your chest. If you get a cramp in your chest just count 5 mins, if the pain worsens or doesn't go away then call your EMTS.

But hey - You sound like a normal human! Your young! Your healthy. Don't worry - the chances of you getting any type of illness are so low - you have more change of getting to the moon :P (Well, maybe not quite that far - but you know :L )

I'm still alive.
Must have been a miracle
It's been one hell of a ride
Destination still unkown
It's a fact of life: If you make one wrong move with a gun to your head
You better walk the line or you'll be left for dead.

I'm a runaway train on a broken track
I'm the ticker on the bomb that you can't turn back
Thats right.
I got away with it all and I'm still alive.
Let the end of the world come tumbling down.
I'll be the last man standing on the ground
As long as hot blood runs through my veins
I'm still alive.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Krynox Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Fear of a Heart Attack. - March 6th 2010, 09:06 PM

A big thanks to BOTH of you! I feel MUCH better now!

Also I'm sorry about you dad Claire, I hope he feels better and recovers as much as humanly possible!

Closed Thread