TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
bellaannx3 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

I don't know what to do anymore - April 20th 2010, 01:21 AM

I used to think it was nothing, but now its pretty clear that i have a problem. I am constantly depressed and I have thought about killing myself everyday for the past year and a half. I've considered talking to someone but I'm afraid they'll think i'm looking for attention or start to freak out. I can't tell my parents anything, or they'll never look at me the same again. I want to talk to a counselor, but i'm afraid they'll tell my parents. I don't know what to do. Everyday I fake a smile just so no one will worry. Everyone tells me I worry them and make me feel more guilty than I already am. Sometimes, I don't even have a reason for being depressed. Though, recently its because everyones leaving me. I feel alone and like theres no hope. I don't know what i should do..

(#2 (permalink)) Old
xyzman Offline
wolfboy
Junior TeenHelper

Name: call me DK

Re: I don't know what to do anymore - April 20th 2010, 02:02 AM

well u came to a good place heer and i feel ur pain of being alone and scared to tell ur parints abaut haw u feel im the same way u just have to stay stong and go to the peopl u trust for suport u can trust me and dont be afrade to be my frend or pm me

hang in thare

(#3 (permalink)) Old
FlyingTrue Offline
I've been here a while

Re: I don't know what to do anymore - April 20th 2010, 02:15 AM

Hello there,
I have dealt with a depression for around two years. I know for a fact that it can definitely be very hard on a person.

I don't think there is any reason that your parents would think of you any differently if you were to tell them. If they are good parents they will care about your best interests and help you feel better. You should also be able to be honest with your friends about it, because if they are really your friends, they will care about you.

But you aren't alone here. Your life is important and you still got a lot to live for. You will recover from this soon enough, even if you don't think you will. I know I did, mostly.
  Send a message via Skype™ to FlyingTrue 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
bellaannx3 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I don't know what to do anymore - April 20th 2010, 02:52 AM

I try really hard to tell myself that I have alot to live for. Thats why I want to talk to someone. I know my parents care about me but i just get the feeling they'll be disappointed in me if they found out I felt this way.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
FlyingTrue Offline
I've been here a while

Re: I don't know what to do anymore - April 20th 2010, 03:19 AM

Your parents should not be disappointed in you for feeling the way you do. They would be proud of you for telling them how you really feel and that you want help dealing with it. If you did tell them then I am sure you would feel a bit better.

There are also anonymous hotlines you could call which are staffed by professionals, then you wouldn't have to tell anyone you know.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
bellaannx3 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I don't know what to do anymore - April 20th 2010, 10:35 PM

I want to tell them, but I'm just too scared. And those hotlines freak me out.. always have.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
FlyingTrue Offline
I've been here a while

Re: I don't know what to do anymore - April 20th 2010, 11:14 PM

You are only giving yourself tension and making things worse by holding it in like this. Take a deep breath, talk to yourself in the mirror as if you were saying what you wanted to say to your parents. Keep doing it until you have figured out just what you want to say. Then when you feel comfortable and the time is right, go ahead and do it.

Do you wish to talk about what it is about the hotlines that freaks you out?
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
bellaannx3 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I don't know what to do anymore - April 21st 2010, 02:30 AM

I don't know. I don't really like being asked all those questions and i'm always afraid they'll find out where i am because of my phone number and they'll come try to get me help. I don't know why I think that, but I do.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
FlyingTrue Offline
I've been here a while

Re: I don't know what to do anymore - April 21st 2010, 03:26 AM

That is a reasonable concern. Firstly, if the hotlines were to trace the phone numbers and come after the people calling, then they would have a very untrustworthy reputation. That would be a major breach of your privacy rights and the conditions of anonymity in which you are calling under. I have never heard of such a thing happening. Secondly, you are only obligated to talk about what you want to talk about, not what others want you to talk about. If they are asking a whole bunch of questions then I think they are trying to get the full picture so they can determine how to best help you. If you don't want to be scrutinized in this way then they should just listen if you tell them. So I think it is the easiest way to get professional advice without anyone knowing.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Crimsonkin Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Adam

Re: I don't know what to do anymore - April 21st 2010, 03:30 AM

I know how you feel. This will be my 8th year of dealing with my depression. Have you told your parents about other things that have bothered you besides the depression? Did they seem like they wanted to help? If so then im sure they would understand if you went to them with this.

You can always PM me or pretty much anyone else here if you need to talk.

Things do get better in time.
I used to believe that things would never get better.
But after many long years things are looking up!
So don't ever give up!
Stay strong and move on!
Things WILL get better!

Make my day let me help you. PM me anytime

Send a message via AIM to Crimsonkin Send a message via MSN to Crimsonkin  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
bellaannx3 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I don't know what to do anymore - April 22nd 2010, 11:58 PM

i feel worse and worse everyday. I know I can't keep it to myself, but i don't want to tell anyone either..

(#12 (permalink)) Old
FlyingTrue Offline
I've been here a while

Re: I don't know what to do anymore - April 23rd 2010, 12:04 AM

I think that right now the main thing that is making this worse is that you keep worrying about the consequences of talking to someone about this. For months when I had my problems which prompted my depression I had issues with the counselors perpetuating the situation so I held it in and just made myself feel worse and even suicidal. You just need to get up on your feet and just tell the right person in the heat of the moment. Then you would be finally getting on the path to recovery.
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
hope_is_real:) Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Josephine

Re: I don't know what to do anymore - April 23rd 2010, 12:15 AM

i feel the same, i can relate to this in every single way. but eventually i started to learn that god keeps us here for a reason. the reason isn't always clear at first but it'll be later on in life maybe. you have to let urself believ that hope is real no matter what & better things do exist. its hard at first but attempting show'd me what im worth, everyone's worth world. but the first place to start believing is in urself

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Firefighter 48 Offline
Firefighter/ EMT-B
Average Joe

Name: Mike

Re: I don't know what to do anymore - April 23rd 2010, 01:36 AM

I am unsure if anyone else has suggested this, but you could write down all your feelings and give it to your parents or someone else that cares about you and you wouldn't have to be there when they read it. Hotlines only trace calls if you have a specific plan to kill yourself, or they feel you are in real danger of harming yourself. I know this because I work as a Firefighter, and have some emergency medical training, they even have a part in the book about handling psych. crisis. but don't be scared of any of that because anything everyone would be doing is trying to help you because they care. Feel free to P.M me if you want to talk, I have been through it all, psych hospitals, having to first tell someone how I felt ect.

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." - Thomas Edison

TWLOHA
  Send a message via MSN to Firefighter 48  
Closed Thread