TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LittleFish Offline
Face-eating Alien
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Se-Se

Unable to cry? - April 24th 2010, 06:10 AM

I've noticed something: I can't cry. I haven't cried since... I don't even remember. It might have been when I told my mom I was feeling suicidal for the first time, but that was awhile ago, and I never actually started crying. I don't know why I can't cry, but it's getting to be a problem. When I'm having depression, there's this really horrible pain, but it's like--too deep. It's beyond the point of tears, if you get me. I want to cry, but it feels so strained. The pain is more angry, anxious, and despairing than anything.

I understand that crying is a healthy release of emotion, but now it just feels shallow and forced. I can't muster up enough sadness to cry no matter what I do. Because I can't cry, I've started self-harming to release the pain. I wish I didn't, but sometimes I feel so trapped and like it's the only way. And even then, I can't cry. It's so frustrating. I just want to let it all out. Has anyone ever experienced this? What do you think could be causing this? I do suffer from mild depression (at least, we think it's mild for now), but I've started taking St. John's Wort. Do you think that might help? Thanks in advance.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
emoticon Offline
confused.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Michelle

Re: Unable to cry? - April 24th 2010, 06:18 AM

When I was depressed there were a few days where I couldn't cry. I think it was because I was so numb. I didn't have any emotions. But as for release you said you were angry. Hav you released that anger in a healthly way? Hav you tried talking about this with anyone? Maybe just writing it all down and relasing it that way?

" One day at a time, this is enough. Do not look back and grieve over the past for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful it will be worth remembering. "

i wonder when i'll finally jsut start accepting myself, when i'll stop saying i wish i could be like that person.

i have facebook, and myspace. and you can ask for it. :P
  Send a message via Yahoo to emoticon  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Unable to cry? - April 24th 2010, 06:18 AM

Well in cases of Severe Depression, there are people who can't cry. Hell, for me, depends on the day. Sometimes I can't cry, sometimes I can. Guess it depends on how my mood is and what the situation is.

St.John's Wort MAY help, but make sure you don't give up too soon. I think it'd take AT LEAST a month to kick in, so don't assume its not working after a couple weeks. In fact, maybe talk to a Natural Health product store worker about it, if the label doesn't tell you anything.

If your depression is too strong, it might not help, from what I've heard, but I wish you the best with it. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lu82 Offline
HI EVERYONE!
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Unable to cry? - April 25th 2010, 01:06 AM

Sometimes the same thing happens to me, i dont cry or feel sad, i just feel really angry at everything.

Guenhwyvar roared a fourth time and darted off through the grove, a black arrow aimed at the heart of doom.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jack

Re: Unable to cry? - April 25th 2010, 01:28 AM

I can sympathise because I was in the exact same situation as you are in now. I didn't cry from when I was six or seven until I was 19 and used self harm as a method of releasing emotion. I also tried taking St John's Wort and it didn't really help in any noticable way but I've heard that it's helped people so it's certainly worth giving it a go.

I can't really advise you to try the method which eventually made me cry as it's not actually legal or particularly safe. Although, I've not cried since that day, so crying once in 13 or so years isn't great. As a method of coping I found that if I was feeling angry anxious and despairing it helped to punch something soft like my pillow on my bed until I was tired and I'd got all the anger out. Also, something else which worked for me was finding a quiet area away from people and just screaming and shouting as loud as a I could until I'd got all the frustration out. Sport worked too, that's a good frustration release.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
LittleFish Offline
Face-eating Alien
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Se-Se

Re: Unable to cry? - April 25th 2010, 08:10 PM

Thanks guys. I'm starting to feel a little better about this. After reading up on it and asking about it on some other websites, I've started to see that this isn't terribly uncommon for people with depression. Also, that was a good suggestion, Jack. It sounds relieving, so perhaps I'll try it sometime. Thank you all.

Closed Thread