TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Arcenciel Offline
Child and Youth Care Worker
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Jen

Oh.My.Word - April 28th 2010, 04:14 PM

I have depression and an anxiety disorder so says my 'Family Doctor.'

My therapist and I are speaking to a psychiatrist on Tuesday to get a proper diagnosis and do a big evaluation and stuff, and adjust some meds. I was on effexor (75mg) but I decided I didn't like them anymore because they don't DO anything for me...so I stopped taking them like 5 days ago. I've been going through withdrawl which is uncomfortable but it's nothing I can't handle.

My main problem right now is sleep. I haven't been getting much sleep in the past year but more recently (in the past few months) I haven't been able to sleep more than a few hours a night. As a result I skip classes (I'm supposed to be in guitar right now) and I am just so frustrated. Today I woke up when my dad woke me up and I had only been sleeping steadily for like 2 hours. I fell asleep at about 3 and I kept having nightmares so I would wake up. I HATE sleep when I do get it because of the nightmares. It's so bad...I see people dead, me killing people, people killing me, my family dead, my brother dead...it's so bad. Just so much death is in my mind and it's probably because of watching my baba die a year and a half ago. Post traumatic stress is something I"m for sure going to ask the psychiatrist about.

When I woke up today I cried so much because I just wanted to sleep...but today I promised my friend I would take her to the car wash during second period because she's never been to a car wash before...so here I am...at school looking up guitar music for worship songs because I don't want to go to class like this. I'm still in my PJ's even.

SO how do I sleep? what the shit do I do? I've tried so many relaxing things yada yada...The youth worker for my school even suggested I eat a big meal (as unhealthy as that is for you) before bed, because then your body is working hard to burn it off and makes you sleepy. It doesn't work. It used to be that if I went to the kitchen and downed a big glass of milk, I'd be okay. But now even that doesn't work.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Eljoria Offline
I'mAlwaysHereHelping. (:
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jade

Re: Oh.My.Word - April 29th 2010, 09:43 AM

Jennifer;

Wow, I used to be exactly like that; you need to block out the thoughts that makes you 'depressed' is the word i call it and you would eventually you know.

I suggest your right, you should ask your psy- (can't spell it sorry) about post traumatic stress and maybe that's the lead.

I'm here if you need me. Just PM Me.

Jay

Live the life.
  Send a message via MSN to Eljoria  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
kelephant Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Blair

Re: Oh.My.Word - April 30th 2010, 06:29 AM

Hi Jennifer. It definately sounds like you're going through some serious withdrawl. I'm not sure if by your post you meant you stopped the medicine immediately, but if you did that could be extremely dangerous. It is important to take your time coming off of the medication so your body can get used to operating without it. Maybe once your body calms down you can discuss with your family doctor about a new medication that could help you with your dreams. I have also often suffered from the same type of nightmares. I take melatonin every night before I go to bed. It is a natural supplement that knocks you out immediately and you usualyl don't dream. You also can't get addicted to it. I'm an insominac and it has made the world of difference for me, I highly suggest looking into it. It can help you keep on a good schedule.
  Send a message via AIM to kelephant  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
CalDud Offline
Mathematician
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Casey

Re: Oh.My.Word - May 1st 2010, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelephant View Post
Hi Jennifer. It definately sounds like you're going through some serious withdrawl. I'm not sure if by your post you meant you stopped the medicine immediately, but if you did that could be extremely dangerous. It is important to take your time coming off of the medication so your body can get used to operating without it. Maybe once your body calms down you can discuss with your family doctor about a new medication that could help you with your dreams. I have also often suffered from the same type of nightmares. I take melatonin every night before I go to bed. It is a natural supplement that knocks you out immediately and you usualyl don't dream. You also can't get addicted to it. I'm an insominac and it has made the world of difference for me, I highly suggest looking into it. It can help you keep on a good schedule.
As an additive to all of this, maybe a really good guy or friend to support you along with all of this. It helps to have someone who can stick it out with you and be there for you when you need them, even if they're not the ones playing with your bodily chemicals. They make you feel better, though.
  Send a message via MSN to CalDud Send a message via Skype™ to CalDud 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Arcenciel Offline
Child and Youth Care Worker
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Jen

Re: Oh.My.Word - May 2nd 2010, 07:50 PM

how come some people get like 8 replies and others only get like 3.

Closed Thread