TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Question Tell them? If so, how? - July 2nd 2010, 11:13 PM

Hey everyone
A few of you will know from my blogs (and some staff as well I think) that I've had family issues this year. You're probably sick of hearing about it by now, sorry.
I talk about it with my parents a lot and we've kind of agreed we don't want to see them at all. Ever. But my mum did say that she just wants to go to the main person behind everything and, without shouting or getting angry, just ask her if she has any idea what she's done. I want her to know too. But I want my parents to know the whole story.
I overdosed on a couple of different types of painkiller 3 months ago and because it did nothing more than make me violently sick all day when I woke up the next morning, my parents assumed it was food poisoning.
Granted that it wasn't just family issues that led me to that, there were other factors. But a part of me wants my parents to know about it, especially since my doctor has concerns about after effects of it. What I don't want is for my dad, and/or mum, to go running to my aunt's house, banging on her door and shouting at her and just making everything worse.
I also don't want to upset them, but I know it would. I'm their only daughter, my mum had 2 miscarriages and her first successful baby didn't even plan to make it to 18. I'm not sure I want to discuss all the reasoning behind it with them but I'd have to. And they'd blame themselves. In short: It would create a huge mess.
But I do want them to know because it's, as big headed as it might sound, it's a pretty big thing to happen. I want to be able to tell them when I feel that way.
I'm sorry about the length, I have a bad habit of that.
Basically what I'm asking is: Do you guys think I should tell my parents about my suicide attempt? If yes, then how would I go about that? Apart from writing a letter, it's too impersonal.

Any ideas/advice is appreciated

~ Nat

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Nomophobia Offline
Music is my escape
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Muse

Re: Tell them? If so, how? - July 3rd 2010, 03:27 PM

Hey Nat..first reply !
you want to tell them, so in that case I think you should. They should be able to help you avoid it happening again

As for how...u ruined my first idea, but how about sitting them down and telling them, but make sure that you firstly lay out your concerns...about them running to your aunt and so on. I think it is going to upset them no matter what you say or how you say it tbh...:/ I'm sure they will be glad to know though.
I think you will feel better if you own up, and yes it will make a mess for a while, but in the long run if it saves you from attempting again..surely its worth it??

message me if you want
good luck with whatever you decide! xxxx

"Friends are like stars; you don't always see them but you know they are always there"

"It gives me hope. I love you so much. You give me a reason to breathe. Its something for me to not kill myself for" >>> means so much :')

Paramore! <3
Pm me anytime, I like to help!
  Send a message via MSN to Nomophobia  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Re: Tell them? If so, how? - July 4th 2010, 05:30 PM

Hey Georgia, thanks for the reply.
I don't know, I do want them to know. I started off just thinking that in years to come I'd just mention it if a related conversation came up. But now I do want them to know.
It just never seems to be the right time. We're on holiday just now, then it's my brother's birthday, my dad's birthday, we're going away again, I have to start college and don't want to deal with that stress in my first week. Before you know it, it's christmas.
It never seems to be the right time.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Nomophobia Offline
Music is my escape
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Muse

Re: Tell them? If so, how? - July 6th 2010, 02:21 PM

hmmm...I see what you mean! I have that problem too. Maybe if you just say to yourself that you will tell them if you get the chance, then you may be surprised when the time comes along. Although it seems like there isn't a time there probably will be when you least expect it!

"Friends are like stars; you don't always see them but you know they are always there"

"It gives me hope. I love you so much. You give me a reason to breathe. Its something for me to not kill myself for" >>> means so much :')

Paramore! <3
Pm me anytime, I like to help!
  Send a message via MSN to Nomophobia  
Closed Thread