TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...

I can't get enough

Name: Paige

I know it's time for me to get some help - July 16th 2010, 12:01 AM

I've been living with suspected depression... possibly manic depression for about the last 4 or 5 years.
I've realised now is the time for me to get some help. I need to be honest with doctors instead of lying and covering things up.

The thing that scares me is people I care about thinking differently of me... because I could wind up with some stupid label.

I don't enjoy my life and truth is I haven't for a long time. I am just scraping through life... I have no drive or ambition and it's because of the way I feel. Counselling... well I don't think it works for me. My act is so good I could fool myself some days.

I can't remember the last thing that made me really truly happy. I keep trying to live for other people and not for myself and right now this is proving difficult even for me... I have nothing to live for and I want my life to have meaning and purpose again. I want to be happy and not just pretending for other people.
I can't function... I take more days off that most people and it needs to stop I'm an adult and I'm in the real world now. I want to be here for me... no one else.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DarkSeph Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Liam

Re: I know it's time for me to get some help - July 16th 2010, 12:27 AM

First of all, I'm really sorry you've had to go through all of this. Covering it up and bottling it away only makes it that much worse, I know from experience. There is a huge relief in being able to be open about how you feel and ask for help.

No one will see you any differently. Labels are labels, but it doesn't change who you are as a person. And judging from how many people you've helped here, you're a really nice, kind and wonderful person. You don't even need to tell people you have depression at all, the only people it really concerns are the doctors. And those friends closest to you who find out will definitely understand. In fact they will respect you for being brave and strong enough to seek help and for trying to sort this. Asking for help is never easy.

Admitting you need help is a huge step and things can honestly get far better. You should be proud of yourself for coming this far. Don't give in, you can definitely get through this. Best of luck and I really hope things turn out well for you.

Currently inactive...
  Send a message via MSN to DarkSeph  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...

I can't get enough

Re: I know it's time for me to get some help - July 16th 2010, 12:30 AM

Hey Liam,
That's really appreciated and I will definitely take your advice

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: I know it's time for me to get some help - July 16th 2010, 12:43 AM

Question... What makes you think it could be Manic Depression?

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#5 (permalink)) Old
TI@P Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I know it's time for me to get some help - July 16th 2010, 12:48 AM

You know paigie. I think you're trying so hard to find a purpose that you're overlooking the most important fact. You are made to have fun. Pro acting is a sign of extreme intelligence and self control. Such people are not made to serve a purpose, unless it really challenges their abilities. It'd be a huge loss for the rest of us if you'd give up the quest for fun and good living, because the lack of it will wear you out.

Life is overrated, but so is death.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...

I can't get enough

Re: I know it's time for me to get some help - July 16th 2010, 12:54 AM

Julz, possibly manic... because I'm not totally depressed all the time. I do have highs... and they're not happy moments like I used to feel... that's probably when I'm at my most dangerous, my judgement is so fogged. I have days I can barely remember due to this. I could make a decision and no one could do anything to change my mind it could be the most ridiculous idea on earth.
My spending habits can become stupid, I've had times where I've blown my wages in a day or two and having absolutely nothing to show for it. I go on total cleaning frenzies... no one can speak to me when I'm like that and I refuse to stop until I crash.

It really is self-destructive behaviour.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
DarkSeph Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Liam

Re: I know it's time for me to get some help - July 16th 2010, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxpaigiexx View Post
It really is self-destructive behaviour.
It could partly be from trying to cover how you feel and living for others. If you're depressed and keep it to yourself too much and act like things are fine, it can just build up inside you until it overwhelms you. On top of that, if you try too hard not to admit to being depressed and cover it, feeling depressed can make you feel frustrated and even annoyed at yourself. Which could cause self-destructive behavior. Almost like a coping method to vent your feelings.

I could be completely off though, just a guess.

Currently inactive...
  Send a message via MSN to DarkSeph  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: I know it's time for me to get some help - July 16th 2010, 07:34 PM

Hey there,

I think it is great that you realize it is time to ask for some help. I know that can be hard but in the end it can really really help as long as you are completely honest with your doctors.

As for people seeing you differently; you don't have to tell anyone about your depression if you don't want to. You can tell everyone, you can tell people that you would be comfortable with knowing or you could tell no one. That is completely up to you.

I have a few freinds that know about my depression but there are quite a few that know nothing. The reason for this is because I don't feel comfortable with telling them. To be honest I don't think they would care and I think some of them suspect certain things but it is more about my comfortability level.

Don't let your fear of what other people will think stop you from getting help because life has so much to offer and you can be happy. But, if you continue lying and not working on the things that you need to you might not ever be able to get to a better, happier place.

As for counseling; it definitely won't work unless you are completely honest with your counselor. Of course, you need to build trust with your counselor which can take time but if you slowly let them in and trust them with little bits of information it can help. I have been seeing my therapist for about a year now and I really do trust her but that took time. And, there are still things I have trouble sharing with her. I am slowly working up to sharing them with her but I know it will take time.

However, being as honest as I have been with her has helped immensely. I get more advice/support/help from her than I have any other therapist and I know that is because I have been open with her.

Also, something I told her right off the bat was that I have trouble talking. I explained to her about my past experiences, my fears etc and slowly we have worked through those which helped me be more honest with her.

Paige, I know that you can have a happy life you just have to take some steps to get there. Start slow and don't overwhelm yourself and with time I am sure things will improve.

I hope this helped and if you need anything feel free to pm me.

Jenna

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread