TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LittleFish Offline
Face-eating Alien
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Se-Se

How can people be so cruel? - July 24th 2010, 07:02 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of suicide, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread therefore might not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I'm so fucking scared right now. I think I might commit suicide, but I know as soon as I tell someone, something bad is going to happen. I've got to do it, but I'm scared. I really don't want to hurt the people I love, but there's no other way out. If I don't, I know I'm going to end up in a mental institution, and I can't handle that. The people are heartless and don't want to help you, they're just doing a job. They only want to hurt you. That's all anybody wants to do, and I can't take it anymore. I'm sick of living in a world where people like me are looked at like we only want attention. People who attempt suicide have been CHARGED with a fucking CRIME. WHY THE HELL DOES NOBODY UNDERSTAND?! They can all go suck it. They can think whatever they want. I'm not going to be around to hear any of their bullshit when I'm gone, and I'm so serious this time. I'm never giving humanity another chance ever again. Say whatever you want about me. Tell me I'm being selfish, call me an attention whore, or throw some random hopeful stuff about staying positive and getting help at me. I tried help, and nothing happened, and I'm done trying, because the next step is probably the hospital, and I will die before they can put me in there.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Tiny_93 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Z

Re: How can people be so cruel? - July 24th 2010, 11:46 AM

Firstly, just take some time to clam down, and really think. You say you don't want to hurt the people around you, but by doing this, you will. Thats garranteed! Not everyone is against you, and some people do understand. It's just about findiing the right person to talk to. No matter how long that may take, there's always someone to talk to.

The question is, do you actually not want to live anymore, or do you not want to carry on living this way anymore?

SH Free since:
22/12/09

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Marguerite Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marguerite

Re: How can people be so cruel? - July 24th 2010, 02:40 PM

You need to take that anger and refocus it.

Anger is good in my opinion. It's passion.

You know I read somewhere that the highest suicide rates occur among middle aged, middle class white men.

It makes me wonder why we don't here stories about those in the third world killing themselves. It's because a lot of them are running from death, and running from death gives you a reason to live. A drive to survive.

It seems when we stop and we realize we've got nothing to live for is when we commit suicide.

You've got anger, and it tells me that you're a fighter. I don't know you but I think I can trust you aren't going to give up.

I used to feel the same way about hospitals and therapists and doctors as you do. They didn't care anyone. They were there to make money. Thing is, isn't everyone? When I worked at KFC after school I wasn't doing it because it warmed my heart to give people fried chicken. And I wasn't helping anyone who does it.

I think anyone who goes into that field does want to help people. They just want to be able to eat and have shelter too. Nothing wrong with that, is there?

There are people that help you through no cost of there own. It's your family, your friends. And I don't know you, and maybe your family aren't supportive.

But look at something like this. Teen help. It's crazy, isn't it? A bunch of people asking for help and strangers giving it. Teenagers. For absolutely no gain of their own. People can't be that bad can they then? Can't just want to hurt eachother? I mean people kill each other, they do horrible horrible things... And then some people spend their lives in third world countries helping other people for nothing.

Some people suck and some people don't. It's just the way life is.

You said about being called an attention seeker. I think maybe for people who haven't been in that position it's easier on them to think that. It devoids them of all responsibility and they don't have to have the burden of knowing that life really is that fragile. That people can break.

The good news is that people can be fixed too. Not by thinking more positively or listening to a happy song.

It takes a lot of hard work. It's a battle, but good news is I think you can win.

Everything isn't a challenge though. If going to hospital for a minimal amount of time can change your whole life, isn't it worth it?

If that's just out of the question, why don't you take a step back and think rationally. I'm sure if you went to your parents, told them you have a problem and want to get better, then explained how much not going to hospital meant to you and negotiated some kind of medication- councelling thing, I think it would probably work out nicely for you.

Lastly, I think we spend so much time as people generally being angry people can't see the world from our perspective, that we don't even attempt to see the world from theirs. I know I've been guilty of this.

You wonder why people want to put you in hospital, but are they doing it just to be cruel? I know you're angry and your first instinct is to scream 'YES!' but I know you are smart enough to know that other than a choice few sociopaths and psychopaths, people don't just do bad things for the sake of doing them. And maybe they aren't bad at all, or others don't see them that way.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Angeal Offline
Average Joe

Name: Ranada Givens

Re: How can people be so cruel? - July 24th 2010, 06:06 PM

Stick in there. I can tell that your a fighter, and fighters don't give up no matter how much the world throws at them, or how much people tell them things that make them want to give up, they keep on fighting. Sometimes the heros we talk about like Superman, Batman, Spiderman, exc. isn't the real heros at all.

The real heros in my oppinon is the underdogs. The people who have everything in life going against them. People telling them that they can't do something. That they won't ever amount to anything. Having people always count them out. When one underdog finds out about another one thats living their life to the fullest and isn't letting anything or anyone get to them, then that persons the hero.

Don't give up on life. I know mental hospitals can suck alot. My dad's been in one before, but like you he's a fighter. Giving up on life should never be an option, even though I've thought about it before.

Feel free to PM anytime you feel you might want to talk, and I don't think your selfish. I'm sixteen too and sometimes life sucks alot and we think that sometimes the whole world is against us.

Last edited by Angeal; July 24th 2010 at 06:08 PM. Reason: had to add something

(#5 (permalink)) Old
LittleFish Offline
Face-eating Alien
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Se-Se

Re: How can people be so cruel? - July 25th 2010, 07:49 PM

I just wanted to say thank you times a million for your responses, especially yours, Marguerite. You guys are right... It's a matter of staying strong and staying calm. I've begun to realize that maybe the reason why suicidal people are looked at with such resentment and anger is because of the pain they cause. It would make me very angry and confused if one of my friends committed suicide, and people often have trouble confronting their emotions and understanding the reasons that people do things. I guess that's just life. No one hates me, and I realize that now. And while the doctors are just doing their jobs, they wouldn't have them if they didn't want to help people in the first place. The only reason they do so many drastic things is to make sure you don't hurt yourself, not for their own sake, but for the sake of the people who love you and don't want to lose you. I feel a lot better now, and you guys have really helped me think. Thanks again, everyone.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
WillO'Wisp Offline
I've been here a while

Re: How can people be so cruel? - July 25th 2010, 08:10 PM

Firstly, you are not an attention whore and nobody here is going to critisize you. I completely understand how you feel. I felt that way before too, and I conquered depression all on my own and you can do it too. It's completely understandable you don't want to talk to anyone about your feelings, but on here you can talk to us and we won't critisize you or send you to a hospital. Not everyone in the world is cruel and heartless, there are good people and good things, and I believe good always conquers evil in the end. Evil never wins, so those bitter hypocritical people really aren't living happy lives because they recieve the same treatment they give others.
I know sometimes the world seems cruel and it all seems hopeless but it isn't. There's always something good to live for and something coming in the future you can look forward to and when it comes you're glad you didn't just give up. It's never worth giving up because there's so much beauty and excitement out there in the world you will get to experience and wouldn't want to miss out on, people do care about you whether you believe it or not and don't want to see you just give up on yourself.
Hang in there, it gets better. I know you don't believe it but take it from someone who's been there, it does get better.

Closed Thread